The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sample costs

amanteai

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 14, 2016
SC
Hi, Im very new at importing and have a newbie question.

I'm reviewing products on alibaba and requested a sample from a manufacturer. Their price per piece is $9. The sample price is $100 for one sample. Does that seem legit?

When you request samples what is the average markup price?

I'm making my way through the import/export thread but it's huge and I haven't seen this covered yet. I just received a reminder email from the manufacturer so I'm seeking some perspective before replying.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Some ask much more money for their samples than the actual worth. Some don't. I prefer the second group.

I haven't figured out yet why they ask so much. Maybe because they don't have to send samples to pseudo-sellers every hour.

@Vigilante @Walter Hay What are your experiences?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Does the sample cost include shipping?

Because if it does, then $100 is reasonable.

Otherwise, ask the question of whether or not the sample is a product that they have in stock? And if they don't have it in stock, then how difficult is it for them to make a sample?

If they have to change the entire production line just to make you one sample, then $100 is justified. If it's something they should have, then the cost is not.

Also, here's a tip for interacting with the supplier. Get a DHL account, and tell the freight forwarder: "Can I request a sample? My DHL account # is ... You can charge the shipping to that account." That way, it's implied that the sample is free, and you're paying for shipping - which you'd have to do anyways.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Also, here's a tip for interacting with the supplier. Get a DHL account, and tell the freight forwarder: "Can I request a sample? My DHL account # is ... You can charge the shipping to that account." That way, it's implied that the sample is free, and you're paying for shipping - which you'd have to do anyways.

I never did this because I thought a manufacturer gets usually better rates than me. I could be wrong.

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China
As per my experience in dealing with direct manufacturers, it is a normal practice for factories to charge excessive sample charges (this is to put off retail buyers wanting products at factory prices).

However, the excess sample charge can usually be refunded when you place an actual order with the supplier.

Also, excess sample charge can help supplier to build both more confidence that the client will come back with order after sample approval, because the charge is “excessive”, and more pro-activity and co-operating to make samples.

The second reason for doing this is that factories do not want their samples to be sent to other factories and this practice discourages that.

Hope this helps.
Liz

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Some ask much more money for their samples than the actual worth. Some don't. I prefer the second group.

I haven't figured out yet why they ask so much. Maybe because they don't have to send samples to pseudo-sellers every hour.

@Vigilante @Walter Hay What are your experiences?

Some trying to weed out the posers and the sample shoppers. Some trying to weed out the small time sellers. Some are brokers that don't have access to samples. Some are assholes. You get the whole gambit of reasons. Some don't get that their ridiculous requests cause them to lose real prospects. Some don't care.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Does the sample cost include shipping?

Because if it does, then $100 is reasonable.

Otherwise, ask the question of whether or not the sample is a product that they have in stock? And if they don't have it in stock, then how difficult is it for them to make a sample?

If they have to change the entire production line just to make you one sample, then $100 is justified. If it's something they should have, then the cost is not.

This is a good idea, provided you get a quote first from your courier. Be sure it includes all costs including Customs clearance. You will still get a bill from the courier for any duty and tax they have paid for you.
I never did this because I thought a manufacturer gets usually better rates than me. I could be wrong.
They very often do get a better rate than you can, particularly if your courier account is new. Bargain with your courier. Never accept "Schedule" rates. These are for dummies only and it is customary to get discounts of 50 -60%.

Walter

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
They very often do get a better rate than you can, particularly if your courier account is new. Bargain with your courier. Never accept "Schedule" rates. These are for dummies only and it is customary to get discounts of 50 -60%.

Walter

I got in touch with DHL and their prices for freight of ~5 kg samples are still like €150. They said they couldn't lower the price because of my low volume. Usually I pay $30 for express freight of a sample to Europe.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I got in touch with DHL and their prices for freight of ~5 kg samples are still like €150. They said they couldn't lower the price because of my low volume. Usually I pay $30 for express freight of a sample to Europe.
OK, has your supplier quoted you in detail with freight cost separate? Suppliers can usuall y do better rates than you can get.

Ask if they use FedEx, because the Chinese FedEx agent (NOT FedEx China) routinely gives suppliers 50% discount off FedEx rates. If they don't know about this or don't know who to contact, let me know and I will give you contact details you can pass on.

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.