The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Same old patterns?

STF

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jan 18, 2018
North Carolina
I have been trying to start businesses for a long time.

Since I am a developer it has been mostly around software. I made a few websites as consultant. Worked with one of those people to make a website that generates proposals for a specific niche. He didn't want to work together as partners so the software languished. I contacted hundreds of people on LinkedIn in his niche but got no responses. (His company uses the software weekly though and they find it valuable/it saves them time and they bill at a high hourly rate) I am back to working on that software now as he said he is open to introducing me to some people. They find it valuable and I think others will. Though I have 0 knowledge or credibility in their industry so I am not sure the best way to sell it.

Something that has been in my mind for a while is: I can do the software but I am not sure what to make. Should I pick an industry to learn to understand their problems and solve those?

Some other attempts:

1. Cold called accountants, hundreds. Did The Foundation process of trying to extract a pain point. Most of them weren't interested in talking and it died.

2. Made a unique social site for martial arts(brazilian jiu jitsu). Lets people add their lineage of their belt rank, gyms can add their location and who teaches/trains there, etc. Got over 50k views. Wasn't sure how to monetize the site. It still exists today but traffic is relatively low since I don't advertise it. I only did a couple posts in the bjj subreddit that were well received. This is still viable, all the coding work is done. I could sell other peoples products or info products through the site.

3. Worked with a tech recruiter who wanted custom software to make his life easier. Spent 3 months building it and he never uses it.

4. Built a site for developer productivity. All the software out there today focuses on the team, I want something for the individual to organize your work. I thought others might find it useful. I use it daily, gave it to about 5 people but none of them thought it was valuable enough to use daily.

5. Working on simple business process management software with a friend who helps startups with making and following repeatable processes. This seems like it could do well but is still in early stages.

Some mistakes I have been making:
- Reading too much as an excuse to hide from action. I was so happy that I was reading 2 hours a day and thought it was awesome. While there is some value to it, I think it's more ideal for me to focus on running in to new problems that force me to learn new things at that time.
- Not learning sales/marketing due to fixed mindset and thinking sales is "dirty" and that developing software was enough (recently changed that and have been working to learn them)
- Wanting to write the software since that is where I'm comfortable
- Not validating ideas before building them

I have been working on these things for years without any progress. Clearly my methods are not effective! I get into my own head being unsure of my processes. As far as SAAS, I don't know if I should keep focusing on software for developers since I know that, or if I should try to learn a new industry, or try to partner with someone else. I have tried all of these options a few times and none have worked out yet. If I simply need to keep trying these until something works that is fine with me, I don't mind the hard work. But if there is a logic flaw in what I am doing I would like to fix that.

The point where I get confused: am I on a path that will eventually be fruitful? Is my process total shit? Sometimes I am working on 4 different sites at a time because I figure that a portfolio has better odds of one succeeding. The part I always get stuck is the domain(the industry I am trying to solve problems for) and finding people who either: a) want to tell me about their industry and the problems or b) want to partner and be domain experts while I do the development.

I am 35% of the way through Unscripted and learning a lot. Through continued hard work, shifting my mindsets, and building sales and marketing skills, I aim to make some progress and provide real value to people.

Thanks for reading! Any advice or glaring issues with my process are welcome :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...