The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sam Walton Reveals his Secret to Successful Retailing

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
As some of you may already know, recently I've been buying and selling through Craigslist. Things have been going well in the past couple of months until just recently my sales began to decline. I would go for weeks without any sales wondering if this whole "business" thing was really going to work out or was I just playing around with my life. I began to panic wondering what the hell is going on. Why can't I make a sales to save my life. In the beginning, I was making $60-150 PER item. I was trying to push the price of the product to the absolute limit.

While reading Sam Walton: Made In America, I came across a line in the book that hit me.

"For my whole career in retail, I have stuck by one guiding principle. It's a simple one, and I
have repeated it over and over and over in this book until I'm sure you're sick to death of it. But
I'm going to say it again anyway: the secret of successful retailing is to give your customers
what they want. And really, if you think about it from your point of view as a customer, you
want everything: a wide assortment of good quality merchandise; the lowest possible prices;
guaranteed satisfaction with what you buy; friendly, knowledgeable service; convenient hours;
free parking; a pleasant shopping experience. You love it when you visit a store that somehow
exceeds your expectations, and you hate it when a store inconveniences you, or gives you a
hard time, or just pretends you're invisible."

I wasn't giving the customers what they want. I was trying to get what I WANT which was large profit margins. This might sound paradoxical, but in order to get, you have to give.

This epiphany hit home for me. I've read a lot of threads on this forum where people preach the exact same concept but it never struck me. It wasn't until I was actually put into the scenario where the advice suddenly came to life. For the newbies sitting on the sidelines, you won't understand this until you are in the game!

Anyone in the retail business should follow these guiding principles as they seem to be the universal laws of successful retailing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Sorry but I couldn't connect the dots between your problem (lack of sales) and the preach of giving value to the customer.

What was really your problem, how did you solve it and why did it work?

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Sorry but I couldn't connect the dots between your problem (lack of sales) and the preach of giving value to the customer.

What was really your problem, how did you solve it and why did it work?

His lack of sales was due to trying to make things better for himself instead of adding value to the customer.. ie he raised prices to increase his margin which takes away from the value he gives to the customers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
His lack of sales was due to trying to make things better for himself instead of adding value to the customer.. ie he raised prices to increase his margin which takes away from the value he gives to the customers.

"Things have been going well in the past couple of months until just recently my sales began to decline. "

"In the beginning, I was making $60-150 PER item. I was trying to push the price of the product to the absolute limit."

So if it was working in the beginning, why did it stop?

To me lowering the price isn't adding value to the customer, it is just matching the price tag to the customers' value perception of your product.
If you have a great product, it's the latter you should be changing (improving the customer perception), not the former.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
"Things have been going well in the past couple of months until just recently my sales began to decline. "

"In the beginning, I was making $60-150 PER item. I was trying to push the price of the product to the absolute limit."

So if it was working in the beginning, why did it stop?

To me lowering the price isn't adding value to the customer, it is just matching the price tag to the customers' value perception of your product.
If you have a great product, it's the latter you should be changing (improving the customer perception), not the former.

Maybe we are interpreting things differently.. to me it seems like he's saying his sales were good in the beginning, but then he started raising prices to maximize his margins and that's what caused him to lose customers... + whatever other general things he has done to provide more value to himself than the customer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.