The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sam Ovens, Legit?

Guru

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Just another Tai?

These 'success stories' seem to be popping up more and more on the internet. People who have "overnight success" and now everyone wants to buy in on his recipe or secret.

Its really frustrating to see people following and believing what they say. Its like the new MLM. Selling bogus advice/methods.

"Sam Ovens started completely broke working out of his parents garage in New Zealand and in four short years built a wildly profitable consulting business, moved to Manhattan and made over $10 million dollars.

This FREE training class cut's right to the chase and reveals exactly how Sam was able to start and grow his consulting business so quickly and how you can do the same starting RIGHT NOW!

Sam has one of the best (if not the best) track records in this industry and has created 9 Millionaire consultants and 136 6-Figure consultants with his training.

Sam usually charges $6,000 - $36,000 to work with clients but this training reveals the exact same methods to you for FREE! Register now before this is taken offline in the new few days."

- Huffington Post

He has people posting all over his Facebook wall about how "his course made them successful."

This is the second time I have heard of this Sam guy. Like someone else said in a different post good for him. He has found a way to make millions not through consulting but by feeding people a dream about making millions through consulting.

blueoceanblues

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Feb 1, 2015
Florida
It's only a dream until you take action.

That goes for Sam, MJ's book, hell anyone with a book with a plan, or a course with action steps.

Can you make millions? Sure if you work long enough at it, pick the right niche, charge more than you are worth, and relentlessly exploit new opportunities once you have a relationship with a business owner.

The consulting model really isn't that hard to understand.

1. Be good at one thing that people are already paying for (or know someone good and partner, you win deals, they fulfill)

2. Get in the biz owner's face somehow (cold call, cold email, direct mail, paid ads, webinar, borrowed list, your own list, attraction marketing, earned traffic (SEO), visit trade shows - conferences - meetups, demonstrate expertise - speaking events, etc etc etc)

3. Give value upfront (be good at something, demonstrate that you are good, free report, white paper, value video, free, test etc)

4. Make an offer (strategy session, consult, whatever you call it) try to close early as possible. Have a conversation.

5. Follow up relentlessly until they buy or die.

6. Close em.

7. Get paid.

8. Do the work or outsource

9. Make sure it's damn good work, don't be a scamming slimy bastard (See #1 be good at one thing).

10. Try to build in a referral strategy to drastically cut the cost of winning a new client. Nothin like a happy guy proselytizing on your behalf.

11. Repeat

MCShogun

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Mar 20, 2013
I learned the hard way. I paid $5000 for a Dane Maxwell course and did not find it helpful. Anyway, I am now more aware and skeptical of shit like that. I take it as a learning experience.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
Although I've never purchased anything from Sam, I've watched his automated webinar out of curiosity a couple weeks ago.

To be honest, I don't see how you guys think it's a scam, it's fairly straight forward what he is offering. You could conclude it's grossly over-priced, or that he is over-promising...but the basic concept is that he helps you carve a niche in an industry for consulting, build in consulting product, build sales funnels to generate appointments and scripted sales calls on how to close new clients.

Yes you could EASILY learn all this on your own via the internet for free, he's just repackaging information, putting all in one place and selling it at a very high price. Yes he maybe over-promising/selling the "dream", but how do you know all his claims are false? Maybe he did create millionaire consultants.

BTW this is one of Sam's students: http://www.andrewargue.com/, seems to be doing alright in that Miami penthouse. If Sam helped Andrew build a consulting business focused on accountants...that's value-add if you ask me (assuming Andrew is now helping accountants grow their practice).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It's only a dream until you take action.

That goes for Sam, MJ's book, hell anyone with a book with a plan, or a course with action steps.

Can you make millions? Sure if you work long enough at it, pick the right niche, charge more than you are worth, and relentlessly exploit new opportunities once you have a relationship with a business owner.

The consulting model really isn't that hard to understand.

1. Be good at one thing that people are already paying for (or know someone good and partner, you win deals, they fulfill)

2. Get in the biz owner's face somehow (cold call, cold email, direct mail, paid ads, webinar, borrowed list, your own list, attraction marketing, earned traffic (SEO), visit trade shows - conferences - meetups, demonstrate expertise - speaking events, etc etc etc)

3. Give value upfront (be good at something, demonstrate that you are good, free report, white paper, value video, free, test etc)

4. Make an offer (strategy session, consult, whatever you call it) try to close early as possible. Have a conversation.

5. Follow up relentlessly until they buy or die.

6. Close em.

7. Get paid.

8. Do the work or outsource

9. Make sure it's damn good work, don't be a scamming slimy bastard (See #1 be good at one thing).

10. Try to build in a referral strategy to drastically cut the cost of winning a new client. Nothin like a happy guy proselytizing on your behalf.

11. Repeat
^^^ This.

Except maybe point 5.

If I get so much as a sniff they aren't interested I drop 'em like a hot snot.

JJtheifhs

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jul 18, 2016
Although I've never purchased anything from Sam, I've watched his automated webinar out of curiosity a couple weeks ago.

To be honest, I don't see how you guys think it's a scam, it's fairly straight forward what he is offering. You could conclude it's grossly over-priced, or that he is over-promising...but the basic concept is that he helps you carve a niche in an industry for consulting, build in consulting product, build sales funnels to generate appointments and scripted sales calls on how to close new clients.

Yes you could EASILY learn all this on your own via the internet for free, he's just repackaging information, putting all in one place and selling it at a very high price. Yes he maybe over-promising/selling the "dream", but how do you know all his claims are false? Maybe he did create millionaire consultants.

BTW this is one of Sam's students: http://www.andrewargue.com/, seems to be doing alright in that Miami penthouse. If Sam helped Andrew build a consulting business focused on accountants...that's value-add if you ask me (assuming Andrew is now helping accountants grow their practice).

I saw the webinars as well

Correct me if i am wrong, it seams to me he left out the part of building snap inspect, this is where he initially got his cash. From my point of view me made it sound as if he was broke and went straight into getting rich via consulting. I have no idea how 'legit' his consulting is.

He seams to have embellished how much initial debt situation

G

GuestUser155

There are some very in-depth and thorough explanations on another forum, so I'm going to boil it down:

Sam Ovens frequently embellishes the truth.

His consulting claims are very dubious.

Some have looked into the exact businesses he's consulted (such as rugdirect) and have found that other, lesser known, firms have actually done the consulting.

His client net income numbers are shady. $10 million per year, but the marketing is worth ~$10k.

His products are rehashes of other, more famous, gurus like Tully and Maxwell.

He adds un-needed steps to the tried-and-true processes and extremely exaggerates how difficult the process is, i.e, he makes it look like an overnight thing.

And, like most gurus these days, he has partaken in the deceitful practice of creating fake successes. In other words, he has created "9 millionaire consultants," but it's on par with saying JK Rowling gave birth to Harry Potter.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've forgotten what this thread is about.

I vaguely remember Sam was a student of Dane Maxwell's Foundation, a la "idea extraction" to uncover hidden needs of business owners.

Anyway, I hope I'm not derailing when I tell this little story...

I was on a business course yesterday with 20 other business owners. I had volunteered to present my business to them in vague Dragons Den style.

I showed I generated leads, sales, and revenue for clients and how I was building a business around that skillset.

At the coffee break people were asking for my business card and literally queuing to have a quick chat.

I told the room that I was no longer embarrassed to say I don't have a business card, and wrote my email address on the flip chart.

I had one email last night to arrange a meeting next week.

Needless to say you don't really have to do much "idea extraction" to find very really needs and wants that business owners have.

More business. More sales.

Now just go do it.

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
You are still looking at this like a consumer.

Nailed it. If he's hitting everybody's FB feed it's because he's applying digital marketing techniques that work. You don't have to be an IM 'gooorooo' and sell snake oil. There's ways to do the same thing in an honest and ethical way. Remember that you can be honest and still apply 21st century marketing principles.

Study.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
guys... guys.... guys... I've got it. Sam Ovens is guaranteed LEGIT.

If Sam Ovens were a scammer, why would Tai Lopez be cavorting about with him? Tai would never soil his good name by associating with scammers.

Sam Ovens is 100% legit. for real for real

upload_2016-10-5_23-10-30.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
guys... guys.... guys... I've got it. Sam Ovens is guaranteed LEGIT.

If Sam Ovens were a scammer, why would Tai Lopez be cavorting about with him? Tai would never soil his good name by associating with scammers.

Sam Ovens is 100% legit. for real for real

View attachment 13304
That quote looks awfully familiar. Wonder where we've seen that before?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Sounds like something I said in a book I wrote nearly 7 years ago.

This is the reason why I don't think coaching is a good use of money for beginners. Same reason why I don't think the first step an out-of-shape person needs to take is to hire a personal trainer. In the beginning of getting fit, you can get great results just by cutting out soda and pizza and walking for half an hour a day. Same in business: You can win big with easy stuff when you're starting out, but these guys demand thousands of dollars for the info that other people will give you for fives of dollars, and, if you're not ready to take all-in action, the results will be identical whether you buy a $20 book or a $20,000 course.

Coaching at the "entry" level is for people who need to be told what to do every step of the way to succeed. People who can't take the TMF template and scaffold it into something on their own.

You know who else needs to be told what to do every step of the way when they first get into a businesss? Employees. Low level employees.

It might not be popular but I feel convinced that you simply cannot go fastlane if you need this kind of help when you first start in order to succeed. The small minority of people who do go fastlane after dumping four or five figures into "getting started" coaching only made it, IMO, because they grew out of the immaturity that led them to seek out a bootcamp in the first place. These intro coaching events and packages exist solely to enrich the organizer on the backs of dreamers.

Disclaimer: This is not to disparage specialized coaching, mentorships, or circles that attempt to push already seasoned 'treps to the next level, or which seek to solve a specific roadblock within a sub-domain of a niche. That's like getting a personal trainer when you're already fit but are not seeing results anymore-It's smart.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This is the reason why I don't think coaching is a good use of money for beginners. Same reason why I don't think the first step an out-of-shape person needs to take is to hire a personal trainer. In the beginning of getting fit, you can get great results just by cutting out soda and pizza and walking for half an hour a day. Same in business: You can win big with easy stuff when you're starting out, but these guys demand thousands of dollars for the info that other people will give you for fives of dollars, and, if you're not ready to take all-in action, the results will be identical whether you buy a $20 book or a $20,000 course.

Coaching at the "entry" level is for people who need to be told what to do every step of the way to succeed. People who can't take the TMF template and scaffold it into something on their own.

You know who else needs to be told what to do every step of the way when they first get into a businesss? Employees. Low level employees.

It might not be popular but I feel convinced that you simply cannot go fastlane if you need this kind of help when you first start in order to succeed. The small minority of people who do go fastlane after dumping four or five figures into "getting started" coaching only made it, IMO, because they grew out of the immaturity that led them to seek out a bootcamp in the first place. These intro coaching events and packages exist solely to enrich the organizer on the backs of dreamers.

Disclaimer: This is not to disparage specialized coaching, mentorships, or circles that attempt to push already seasoned 'treps to the next level, or which seek to solve a specific roadblock within a sub-domain of a niche. That's like getting a personal trainer when you're already fit but are not seeing results anymore-It's smart.
I agree.

A few lines that spring to mind:

"Wisdom is earned."
(Not purchased!)

"Help the people in motion."
(Advice from Amy Hoy that's applicable for consultants and coaches. If you're a personal trainer, get new clients who are down the gym, not on the sofa. They're the ones worth helping.)

"Tell me what you've done and I'll tell you who you are."
(Want mentored? You better show you've done stuff in the past.)

"The person who'll run with the ball is the person who catches the ball."
(Don't work with people who don't make an effort.)

"Spend your money on diesel and coffee."
(www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/spend-your-money-on-diesel-and-coffee.70072)

Last edited by a moderator:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.
I wonder who said this originally? I wonder if they could teach.

I find teaching really hard - harder than just doing the work...

pfalcomer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
388%
Oct 15, 2012
Durban, South Africa
Guess what? Data has no value. Information has no value. Knowledge has no value. Action has some value (more than I realised tbh).

*Results* are what has value. Results are what the market pays for.

If ever there was a Golden Nugget in plain sight.. this is it. Your value to the marketplace and consequently the number in your bank account will be a direct consequence of the results you provide your customers / the market.

As MJ says in his book just after he finished building his website and he kept refreshing and getting more and more emails.. he needed to capitalise on those emails and he provided results: I need a limo to pick me up at JFK (market) ---> MJ sells lead to limo company in NYC who collects customer (result) ---> payment to MJ for the lead (value).

(I may have the order incorrect in that he may have been paid prior to passing on the lead but he received value for the result in the end)

Last edited:

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
Unfortunately now the internet is rife with 20-something gurus who took a course from another 20-something guru on how to be a 20-something guru.

Also a lot of 20 something "gurus" self publishing regurgitated mish mashes of other people's work. I recently read Ten Pillars of Wealth by Alex Becker and a lot of it seemed to be borrowed from TFLM and of course the pillars concept came from Jim Rohn.

Maybe I'm naive but it feels like there are so many bro marketers and money chasers out there rather than people who actually want to build long lasting value.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I wonder who said this originally? I wonder if they could teach.

I find teaching really hard - harder than just doing the work...
Yes, teaching is hard. I have done some work like that before in high school on a variety of topics.

You can't just give the class an entire lengthy lecture although there's lots of gold nuggets in it.

I was reading Pitch Anything by Oren Klaff. The information gets through the 'crocodile brain' part first, which is only concerned about sex and survival, not the abstract and theoretical stuff of things. So much of what we say might get wasted in the first place, if we don't structure them carefully.

For instance, I could be teaching history to juniors. Their brains might think:

'To hell with this! My brain feels so tired...better ignore all this rubbish and save brain juice!'

'Will there be chicken for lunch?'

'The name of that historical hero is so long! I'd rather remember my girlfriend's name...Martha, so short and sweet!'

My history teacher was smart though. He just assigned everyone to make Powerpoint presentations or videos on various History topics, and we would teach the class lol.:p

When he did teach though, he would 'relate' to the crocodile brain part concerned about sex and survival by pointing out historical perspectives based on slightly political incorrect routes like the present political movements in the country, some religious background and violence that comes with historical changes as well.

I could explain how he did it, but I'm not sure if this thread needs a write-up on Malaysian history.:happy:

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Can Sam Ovens explain why after making $20,000,000 consulting business:

1 - He's using a fake backdrop?
2 - He's wearing the same blue jacket on every ad?

Here's the proof: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I'm genuinely interested.

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia

Probably works...

My question is always "if you are killing it, why are you making a course instead of killing it some more?"

Eliminates 99% of "gurus" and "coaches" who are making a living teaching people something that they are not doing nor did.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
I love stuff like this.

Instead of bitching, you guys should study what he is doing here.

The real problem is that you look at this as a product to buy that could help you. Look at it for what it is: a product that Sam Ovens is getting rich from.

You are still looking at this like a consumer.

You complain about seeing his ads, maybe getting "spam" emails, and his "guru" tactics - then come on this forum and read about how to build a business using things like PPC, copywriting, and landing pages.

Who gives a crap what the guy is doing - stuff like this is FREE education on what is working FOR SAM OVENS.

Open your eyes.
I was going to say the same...

What is the point on wasting time complaining about him?

The guy owns a one word domain and has your attention

What can you learn from him?

Leave the rest

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

matt33138

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Apr 25, 2014

1. That backdrop isn't fake – it's his apartment where he lives in midtown Manhattan (check his Instagram for plenty of other shots from other angles of the same apartment).

2. I think that's called branding – repetition drives branding points home similar to why you've seen the same Coke ad a hundred times.

I took Sam's course and found it very helpful. Actually I don't think all his distinctions and ideas are easily available just through some Googling. He does actually have his own ideas many of which helped me in growing my own fastlane business.

I find it funny how a forum dedicated to fastlane thinking and acting has this sort of thread with tons of people griping and moaning without first checking in on what's being moaned about.

Here's a screenshot of my Infusionsoft account from the first five months of 2018 as proof of what I've been able to do thanks to Sam's teachings, my own years of learning and skill-building, and a ton of hard work:

happysamovensclient.png

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.