The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sam Ovens, Legit?

Guru

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
I love stuff like this.

Instead of bitching, you guys should study what he is doing here.

The real problem is that you look at this as a product to buy that could help you. Look at it for what it is: a product that Sam Ovens is getting rich from.

You are still looking at this like a consumer.

You complain about seeing his ads, maybe getting "spam" emails, and his "guru" tactics - then come on this forum and read about how to build a business using things like PPC, copywriting, and landing pages.

Who gives a crap what the guy is doing - stuff like this is FREE education on what is working FOR SAM OVENS.

Open your eyes.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This is why when I become successful, I'll just write a book. Just a book. No RDPD rehash. I won't start a guru bullshit. MJ had the right idea :)

Unfortunately now the internet is rife with 20-something gurus who took a course from another 20-something guru on how to be a 20-something guru.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Has anyone actually consumed his content & can attest to weather or not its legit?
:headbanger:

Legit? If I sell you the world greatest hammer and you put it in your garage and never use it, the hammer doesn't somehow become less valuable - even though you will probably always regret the purchase.

No information stands alone in its value.

ALL INFORMATION IS ONLY AS VALUABLE AS YOU MAKE IT.

I would be willing to bet that 90%+ of the people that have purchased P90X, one of the most popular workout/weight loss programs in history, are in the same physical condition as they were prior to buying the program.

Does this make P90X any less legit? Go ahead and tell me that it does, and I can show you thousands of people that it has worked for.

That is why all of these things are guaranteed - because most people can recognize that their own lack of success comes from simply not following through.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
One thing I do want to point out, is that our very own Andy Black points out that expertise is a sliding scale. A millenial that grew up with social media is more expert than an old fuddy duddy, and could probably help them. As long as the consultant doesn't lie about credentials or experience, I don't think it's unethical. This is predicated on a money back guarantee and the expectation of performance, of course.
Gosh. Did I say that? Must have been some Guiness induced moment of clarity.

My position is that you don't need to be an expert, just to deliver results (ethically of course).

I can put as many accomplishments on my CV/About Me page... but the client isn't going to keep paying if I don't get them results.

Similarly, I got started as an AdWords dude the day a voucher fell out of a book (see thread "You don't need to be an expert".)

Guess what? Data has no value. Information has no value. Knowledge has no value. Action has some value (more than I realised tbh).

*Results* are what has value. Results are what the market pays for.

(Sigh... I know, I know, I'm simplifying and plenty of people will buy information, never read it, never act on it, and never get the results they should have been seeking - just the result of feeling good for buying the information.)

If YOU increase YOUR knowledge but never act on it, then it's effectively added YOU no value.

But taking action mindlessly isn't enough (although better than you'd think).

"The market doesn't pay for activity" is a nice line I repeat to myself often.

We can be busy fools.

Plus you're not going to pay for a pizza when they come through from the kitchen and say it's not been made but they've been very busy trying to make it.

I think I did a thread on this called "The need for speed".

Anyway, I'm rambling...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Sounds like something I said in a book I wrote nearly 7 years ago.

This is the reason why I don't think coaching is a good use of money for beginners. Same reason why I don't think the first step an out-of-shape person needs to take is to hire a personal trainer. In the beginning of getting fit, you can get great results just by cutting out soda and pizza and walking for half an hour a day. Same in business: You can win big with easy stuff when you're starting out, but these guys demand thousands of dollars for the info that other people will give you for fives of dollars, and, if you're not ready to take all-in action, the results will be identical whether you buy a $20 book or a $20,000 course.

Coaching at the "entry" level is for people who need to be told what to do every step of the way to succeed. People who can't take the TMF template and scaffold it into something on their own.

You know who else needs to be told what to do every step of the way when they first get into a businesss? Employees. Low level employees.

It might not be popular but I feel convinced that you simply cannot go fastlane if you need this kind of help when you first start in order to succeed. The small minority of people who do go fastlane after dumping four or five figures into "getting started" coaching only made it, IMO, because they grew out of the immaturity that led them to seek out a bootcamp in the first place. These intro coaching events and packages exist solely to enrich the organizer on the backs of dreamers.

Disclaimer: This is not to disparage specialized coaching, mentorships, or circles that attempt to push already seasoned 'treps to the next level, or which seek to solve a specific roadblock within a sub-domain of a niche. That's like getting a personal trainer when you're already fit but are not seeing results anymore-It's smart.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I believe that you can learn something from everyone but you don't have to agree with them.

I don't listen to what they say. I watch what they do. Opinions don't pay my bills.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've forgotten what this thread is about.

I vaguely remember Sam was a student of Dane Maxwell's Foundation, a la "idea extraction" to uncover hidden needs of business owners.

Anyway, I hope I'm not derailing when I tell this little story...

I was on a business course yesterday with 20 other business owners. I had volunteered to present my business to them in vague Dragons Den style.

I showed I generated leads, sales, and revenue for clients and how I was building a business around that skillset.

At the coffee break people were asking for my business card and literally queuing to have a quick chat.

I told the room that I was no longer embarrassed to say I don't have a business card, and wrote my email address on the flip chart.

I had one email last night to arrange a meeting next week.

Needless to say you don't really have to do much "idea extraction" to find very really needs and wants that business owners have.

More business. More sales.

Now just go do it.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
There was a great website called bullshitbusinessadvice (since expired) which covered Sam Ovens a lot. I was curious after seeing his ads last year, and that site ripped him apart. The FB page still exists - I'll see if archive.org has it too:

Plenty of bullshit. Dude is a scam.

I'm still of the opinion that the best way to "get rich" is to work your way up. All the "trends" / "hacks" / "tricks" promulgated from time-to-time ("crypto", "SEO", "social", "dropshipping", "shopify", "ecommerce", "copywriting", "digital conqueror", "cloud", "cold showers") are shortcuts people latch on to. Consulting is another.

If you really want to get rich, read up on what's selling (or more particularly, what people are buying). Back pages of newspapers are a good source of "legit" information. Offer your own version by creating a SERVICE to help people with it (online or offline) (monetization can be through affiliate links to begin with) - if it doesn't work, focus on the next best seller etc etc etc. UpWork, Fiverr, Clickbank, Flippa & Amazon (JungleScout) etc are good for this. You'll eventually find your place if you take it seriously.

To "sell" (as mentioned previously in the thread) - focus on the provision of results. Never sell the "product", always focus on what it does, and how effective it is at doing it. The more potent your results, the less hype/bullshit you have to create. This is especially apparent in the software game, where most of the buyers are above average intelligence, many are socially awkward and there is MASSIVE reverence for "strategy" board games (for reasons that still evade me). Most of the best software guys I know would rather play 2 hrs of Dungeons + Dragons than go out with girls. They can smell BS 1000 miles away.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Solid point, but most of these gurus aren't making that much; nowhere what a decent business owner makes. Except maybe the top guys; like Tai Lopez. So many of these gurus were taught by guru guru's; and it's just filtered it's way down.
If they are advertising, they are making money. End of discussion.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
So, we must ignore ethics and do what would bring us the most money?
That does not sound like a good strategy to build a long term business.
You are completely misinterpreting what I said.

I said look at the way he is selling the course, not "buy the course".

Another thing to keep in mind here - my guess is that this is just another way for this guy to monetize/productize his own experience. It's really not any different than a friend telling you about how he did something. The only difference is that it is packaged for mass consumption.

blueoceanblues

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Feb 1, 2015
Florida
It's only a dream until you take action.

That goes for Sam, MJ's book, hell anyone with a book with a plan, or a course with action steps.

Can you make millions? Sure if you work long enough at it, pick the right niche, charge more than you are worth, and relentlessly exploit new opportunities once you have a relationship with a business owner.

The consulting model really isn't that hard to understand.

1. Be good at one thing that people are already paying for (or know someone good and partner, you win deals, they fulfill)

2. Get in the biz owner's face somehow (cold call, cold email, direct mail, paid ads, webinar, borrowed list, your own list, attraction marketing, earned traffic (SEO), visit trade shows - conferences - meetups, demonstrate expertise - speaking events, etc etc etc)

3. Give value upfront (be good at something, demonstrate that you are good, free report, white paper, value video, free, test etc)

4. Make an offer (strategy session, consult, whatever you call it) try to close early as possible. Have a conversation.

5. Follow up relentlessly until they buy or die.

6. Close em.

7. Get paid.

8. Do the work or outsource

9. Make sure it's damn good work, don't be a scamming slimy bastard (See #1 be good at one thing).

10. Try to build in a referral strategy to drastically cut the cost of winning a new client. Nothin like a happy guy proselytizing on your behalf.

11. Repeat

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
Although I've never purchased anything from Sam, I've watched his automated webinar out of curiosity a couple weeks ago.

To be honest, I don't see how you guys think it's a scam, it's fairly straight forward what he is offering. You could conclude it's grossly over-priced, or that he is over-promising...but the basic concept is that he helps you carve a niche in an industry for consulting, build in consulting product, build sales funnels to generate appointments and scripted sales calls on how to close new clients.

Yes you could EASILY learn all this on your own via the internet for free, he's just repackaging information, putting all in one place and selling it at a very high price. Yes he maybe over-promising/selling the "dream", but how do you know all his claims are false? Maybe he did create millionaire consultants.

BTW this is one of Sam's students: http://www.andrewargue.com/, seems to be doing alright in that Miami penthouse. If Sam helped Andrew build a consulting business focused on accountants...that's value-add if you ask me (assuming Andrew is now helping accountants grow their practice).

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

matt33138

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Apr 25, 2014
Can Sam Ovens explain why after making $20,000,000 consulting business:

1 - He's using a fake backdrop?
2 - He's wearing the same blue jacket on every ad?

Here's the proof: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I'm genuinely interested.

1. That backdrop isn't fake – it's his apartment where he lives in midtown Manhattan (check his Instagram for plenty of other shots from other angles of the same apartment).

2. I think that's called branding – repetition drives branding points home similar to why you've seen the same Coke ad a hundred times.

I took Sam's course and found it very helpful. Actually I don't think all his distinctions and ideas are easily available just through some Googling. He does actually have his own ideas many of which helped me in growing my own fastlane business.

I find it funny how a forum dedicated to fastlane thinking and acting has this sort of thread with tons of people griping and moaning without first checking in on what's being moaned about.

Here's a screenshot of my Infusionsoft account from the first five months of 2018 as proof of what I've been able to do thanks to Sam's teachings, my own years of learning and skill-building, and a ton of hard work:

happysamovensclient.png

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California

Nailed it. If he's hitting everybody's FB feed it's because he's applying digital marketing techniques that work. You don't have to be an IM 'gooorooo' and sell snake oil. There's ways to do the same thing in an honest and ethical way. Remember that you can be honest and still apply 21st century marketing principles.

Study.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.
I wonder who said this originally? I wonder if they could teach.

I find teaching really hard - harder than just doing the work...

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
I love stuff like this.

Instead of bitching, you guys should study what he is doing here.

The real problem is that you look at this as a product to buy that could help you. Look at it for what it is: a product that Sam Ovens is getting rich from.

You complain about seeing his ads, maybe getting "spam" emails, and his "guru" tactics - then come on this forum and read about how to build a business using things like PPC, copywriting, and landing pages.

Who gives a crap what the guy is doing - stuff like this is FREE education on what is working FOR SAM OVENS.

Open your eyes.
I was going to say the same...

What is the point on wasting time complaining about him?

The guy owns a one word domain and has your attention

What can you learn from him?

Leave the rest

WinYourself

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Aug 11, 2013
He's running ads in the millions and making millions of revenue

Anybody who doubts this has no idea about digital marketing.

The fact that so many people of us have seen his ads verifies his ad budget.

He's giving away >90% of his teaching for free on Youtube. I even like his content. Learnt some valuable stuff from him even after being in this game already pretty long.

Many big dogs who are already running seven and eight figure digital businesses are paying big dollars to be in his paid mastermind and mentoring program.

I would summarize his message as:
Focus.
Declutter.
Dedication.
Solve Problems.
Employees first.
Basics instead of tactics/strategies.
Stay away from trends and quick fixes.
Product over service for scale and sanity.
F*ck social media and personal branding.
One problem, one product, one funnel....then scale.

Last edited:

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
attest to weather or not its legit?

You know...Tai actually mentioned this in one of his videos:
  • The worst that could happen is you lose $67 and a few hours.
  • Best thing, you may learn 1 or 2 new concepts.
If you're worried about investing a few bucks in yourself - you may have bigger problems.

Like @pickeringmt mentioned though - there's a swath of knowledge staring you in the face:

Why would these "Gurus" create content at the most basic level?
What about their upsells? - Their social media strategy? - Their copywriting?

It's all about asking the right questions.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Unfortunately now the internet is rife with 20-something gurus who took a course from another 20-something guru on how to be a 20-something guru.
Took the thoughts right out of my head. Sam said Dane was his mentor, Dane was inspired by RDPD, and Robert had a rich dad (supposedly).

From this:
00da2d3d32589d941bc910afc083416e.jpg

To this:

How-To-Start-An-Automated.jpg

To this:

gUNedc0GvoQowuB8Zl9PkDl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVvK0kTmF0xjctABnaLJIm9

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
Here you go lol, modern day snake oil

Wow. So you can be an 'expert' in Social Media just by being in the generation that grew up with it. Guess the 6 figures my company has put into FB Ads constantly learning in the last 6 months was pointless; we should've just been born a few years earlier or hired a 16 year old expert...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It's only a dream until you take action.

That goes for Sam, MJ's book, hell anyone with a book with a plan, or a course with action steps.

Can you make millions? Sure if you work long enough at it, pick the right niche, charge more than you are worth, and relentlessly exploit new opportunities once you have a relationship with a business owner.

The consulting model really isn't that hard to understand.

1. Be good at one thing that people are already paying for (or know someone good and partner, you win deals, they fulfill)

2. Get in the biz owner's face somehow (cold call, cold email, direct mail, paid ads, webinar, borrowed list, your own list, attraction marketing, earned traffic (SEO), visit trade shows - conferences - meetups, demonstrate expertise - speaking events, etc etc etc)

3. Give value upfront (be good at something, demonstrate that you are good, free report, white paper, value video, free, test etc)

4. Make an offer (strategy session, consult, whatever you call it) try to close early as possible. Have a conversation.

5. Follow up relentlessly until they buy or die.

6. Close em.

7. Get paid.

8. Do the work or outsource

9. Make sure it's damn good work, don't be a scamming slimy bastard (See #1 be good at one thing).

10. Try to build in a referral strategy to drastically cut the cost of winning a new client. Nothin like a happy guy proselytizing on your behalf.

11. Repeat
^^^ This.

Except maybe point 5.

If I get so much as a sniff they aren't interested I drop 'em like a hot snot.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
guys... guys.... guys... I've got it. Sam Ovens is guaranteed LEGIT.

If Sam Ovens were a scammer, why would Tai Lopez be cavorting about with him? Tai would never soil his good name by associating with scammers.

Sam Ovens is 100% legit. for real for real

upload_2016-10-5_23-10-30.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
guys... guys.... guys... I've got it. Sam Ovens is guaranteed LEGIT.

If Sam Ovens were a scammer, why would Tai Lopez be cavorting about with him? Tai would never soil his good name by associating with scammers.

Sam Ovens is 100% legit. for real for real

View attachment 13304
That quote looks awfully familiar. Wonder where we've seen that before?

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Sam covers multiple topics that are taught here (action faking, focus, sticking to one business)

Mostly he talks about things like customer satisfaction and solving problems for customers and overall adding value to the world. Literally what MJ's books talk about.

You dont have to like everything about him, but calling him a scammer or saying he doesnt know what hes talking about is ridiculous, because he teaches VERY similar concepts to MJ.

I dont know why people have to try and be so high and mighty all the time when it comes to "guru" stuff or online education. Probably makes them feel better about them selves.

I think you can learn something from everyone weather it's what to do, or what not to do.

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
Just another Tai?

These 'success stories' seem to be popping up more and more on the internet. People who have "overnight success" and now everyone wants to buy in on his recipe or secret.

Its really frustrating to see people following and believing what they say. Its like the new MLM. Selling bogus advice/methods.

"Sam Ovens started completely broke working out of his parents garage in New Zealand and in four short years built a wildly profitable consulting business, moved to Manhattan and made over $10 million dollars.

This FREE training class cut's right to the chase and reveals exactly how Sam was able to start and grow his consulting business so quickly and how you can do the same starting RIGHT NOW!

Sam has one of the best (if not the best) track records in this industry and has created 9 Millionaire consultants and 136 6-Figure consultants with his training.

Sam usually charges $6,000 - $36,000 to work with clients but this training reveals the exact same methods to you for FREE! Register now before this is taken offline in the new few days."

- Huffington Post

He has people posting all over his Facebook wall about how "his course made them successful."

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Wow. So you can be an 'expert' in Social Media just by being in the generation that grew up with it. Guess the 6 figures my company has put into FB Ads constantly learning in the last 6 months was pointless; we should've just been born a few years earlier or hired a 16 year old expert...

SUCKS TO BE YOU, DUMB a$$.

I jest, of course.

One thing I do want to point out, is that our very own Andy Black points out that expertise is a sliding scale. A millenial that grew up with social media is more expert than an old fuddy duddy, and could probably help them. As long as the consultant doesn't lie about credentials or experience, I don't think it's unethical. This is predicated on a money back guarantee and the expectation of performance, of course.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Preach, brother. Preach.

SELL OR BE SOLD

Most info out there is about getting you to think/feel/react a certain way. Realize that and the force of its persuasion diminishes. Many people are waking up to the sales tricks. How many people know the US MEDIA can engage in propaganda/lieing legally and spread that message to American citizens? Guess what they can. You are seeing it in full force btw in the hillary v trump stuff.

Most people are ok with genuine sales tactics that do provide value and always will be. They say without a sale, nothing happens. As MJ nailed, nothing happens without adding value.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.