The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sales - Buying Strategies

Marketing, social media, advertising

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
@Scot @Fox - I am wondering if the two of you (or anyone else with experience in sales) have any experience in this since I know you both are in person-to-person and telephone sales. This idea came to mind after reading Fox's post on facebook where he talked about a client who needed 5-6 months before making a decision...

Mental Checklists (strategies)

So I use the following for transforming human behavior when it comes to personal transformations, but after using this technique, I realized that it can apply to sales too.

Unconsciously, there is a "Mental Checklist" that we go through before we arrive at a decision for anything. Most people don't consciously know it's there, but it always is. If you go through the elements of your checklist in the right order, you arrive at the behavior, but if you miss any elements, you exit - and it doesn't happen.

The way the mind gets information put into it is through six elements:
  1. V - Visual (pictures)
  2. A - Auditory (sounds)
  3. K - Kinesthetic (feelings)
  4. Ad - Auditory digtial (self-talk)
Smells and Tastes are less common.

So if a person's mental checklist for eating food is:

1. I see the food (V)
2. I feel hungry (K)
3. They eat the food.

This is an ineffective strategy because they have no filter, so I would install a new one V - > K -> Ad (they have to tell themselves that the food is heathy before they eat it).

Buying Strategies (mental checklist)

When you're on a call with a prospective buyer (or in person), when you understand what their mental checklist is for purchases, you can feedback information to them in a way that fulfills their checklist.

So theirs might be V -> Ad -> V -> K -> Purchase

When you SEE (V) these examples of my past websites, you can think about (Ad) how you can SEE (V) yourself having a site like this, and you might begin to feel (K) that this is something for you...

By understanding the elements of their strategy and structuring your proposal to fulfill it, this should lead to more sales.

Mental Checklist Elicitation

There's a formal process when I work with clients where I spend about 10 minutes asking detailed questions about finding out what their strategy is. But in sales, it would be weird. So I'm not sure how to do this in a smooth way while talking to prospective customers.

When you ask a prospect to think of a time they purchased something similar in the past, you can notice that their eyes go in different directions as they go through their strategy (they are usually unaware of this).

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 11.00.40 AM.png
Or you can pay attention to their predicates: "Well I saw this, then I felt that, then I told myself, etc."

When you understand your prospective client's buying strategy, you can structure your language to fulfill it, which will lead to an increase in sales...
  • Is this something you currently use?
  • Is this commonly known in sales trainings?
  • If so, how do you go about eliciting their strategy in a natural way?
So far I've only used this for clients in personal transformation senses...but thinking of starting to use this for sales.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
@AndrewNC i promise I saw this and the minute I get a breather I'll get back to you on it.

I haven't had coffee yet, any response right now wouldn't be fair to you.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Ok sorry for the super delayed response. I was in the process of closing on our house and doing some renovations on it last week.

This is very similar to what I call emotional intelligence (emotional intelligence has a definition, I'm not sure if mine matches haha). Every good salesman should be able to read body language and know when to move forward, push or pull back.

Salesmen who don't know how to do this are the ones we avoid like the plague because they are too "salesy"

As far as reading what their eyes are doing, I've read about this in the past but I never have applied it personally. There is so much when it comes to sales that involves psychology and neurology. This definitely falls into that.

Would it work? Definitely. But, like you said, you'd have to think of ways to probe with appropriate questions. It all goes down to what you're selling.

Asking the obvious "tell me about the last time you purchased x" would be an appropriate one.

Because you know the science behind it, I would definitely encourage you to take this further. I'm not entirely sure how this would fit into my industry but it's something worth considering.

Have I ever seen this used in sales education, nope. Maybe a new book you can put out.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
@Scot @Fox - I am wondering if the two of you (or anyone else with experience in sales) have any experience in this since I know you both are in person-to-person and telephone sales. This idea came to mind after reading Fox's post on facebook where he talked about a client who needed 5-6 months before making a decision...

Mental Checklists (strategies)

So I use the following for transforming human behavior when it comes to personal transformations, but after using this technique, I realized that it can apply to sales too.

Unconsciously, there is a "Mental Checklist" that we go through before we arrive at a decision for anything. Most people don't consciously know it's there, but it always is. If you go through the elements of your checklist in the right order, you arrive at the behavior, but if you miss any elements, you exit - and it doesn't happen.

The way the mind gets information put into it is through six elements:
  1. V - Visual (pictures)
  2. A - Auditory (sounds)
  3. K - Kinesthetic (feelings)
  4. Ad - Auditory digtial (self-talk)
Smells and Tastes are less common.

So if a person's mental checklist for eating food is:

1. I see the food (V)
2. I feel hungry (K)
3. They eat the food.

This is an ineffective strategy because they have no filter, so I would install a new one V - > K -> Ad (they have to tell themselves that the food is heathy before they eat it).

Buying Strategies (mental checklist)

When you're on a call with a prospective buyer (or in person), when you understand what their mental checklist is for purchases, you can feedback information to them in a way that fulfills their checklist.

So theirs might be V -> Ad -> V -> K -> Purchase

When you SEE (V) these examples of my past websites, you can think about (Ad) how you can SEE (V) yourself having a site like this, and you might begin to feel (K) that this is something for you...

By understanding the elements of their strategy and structuring your proposal to fulfill it, this should lead to more sales.

Mental Checklist Elicitation

There's a formal process when I work with clients where I spend about 10 minutes asking detailed questions about finding out what their strategy is. But in sales, it would be weird. So I'm not sure how to do this in a smooth way while talking to prospective customers.

When you ask a prospect to think of a time they purchased something similar in the past, you can notice that their eyes go in different directions as they go through their strategy (they are usually unaware of this).

View attachment 14312
Or you can pay attention to their predicates: "Well I saw this, then I felt that, then I told myself, etc."

When you understand your prospective client's buying strategy, you can structure your language to fulfill it, which will lead to an increase in sales...
  • Is this something you currently use?
  • Is this commonly known in sales trainings?
  • If so, how do you go about eliciting their strategy in a natural way?
So far I've only used this for clients in personal transformation senses...but thinking of starting to use this for sales.

Is there empirical data to support any of this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Is there empirical data to support any of this?
Haven't looked into research on the sales side of things. As a buyer of services, I know what my 'mental checklist' is when it comes to hiring a graphic designer, for example. If it's not fulfilled, I don't buy.

I've primarily used the process to install new strategies on clients I work with for motivation, eating, gambling, and other things like that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.