The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

SaaS Startup Thread, 2nd Time Entrepeneur

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

WealthChaser

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 7, 2017
Indiana
Hey ya'll, Young Gun here. Not quite so young (a couple of years since I've last posted here).

I'm still running my first business (a high-end tutoring company + blog + related infoproducts).

There have been some good successes: I've hit low 6-figure income (not profit) for the past 3 years... and I'm proud of the work our company has done for kids and families.

However, it's been very stagnant for me in terms of growing scalable profits, and I've learned some uncomfortable lessons.

I could have put even more effort into growing my tutoring business the past couple of years, without a doubt. But I've also been working hard. All my friends and family would say I stress too much, but I know I could push myself much harder... that's a topic for another day, though.

More to the "Fastlane" point... Specialty tutoring is just not a highly-scalable model. Yes, I have options to scale. Give me 20 years and I could scale nationally as a chain in 20 major cities and make a few million in profit a year, I'm sure of it. Teaching is a relatively fulfilling occupation, and I'd be my own boss the whole way.

I'm also pretty sure I could make a bit of supplemental profit from infoproducts in my niche. I've experimented before with some minor success, but nothing exciting... nothing to justify the time I invested.

Ultimately the specialty, high-end tutoring my company does is a *niche market.* It's also a service-based business. There's only so big (and so fast) it can grow. I can throw paid advertising at it, but % profits decrease. Payroll and office expenses scale just as quickly as profits.

To reiterate an important point that I'm trying to make for first-time entrepreneurs, my entire system is a tutoring service... highly dependent on HUMANS, people-time, and physical proximity. There's only so much you can automate when it's face-to-face teaching, or any other personal service.

That's not the greatest, because aside from the major scaling issues, I'm *highly* introverted by nature. I hate personnel management, and I'm easily disappointed by employees' performance. I love teaching, but it gets old after a while, and dealing with parents of students can be truly exhausting for me.

Here's where I'm going with this. I think something has to change.

I want to make a LOT of money. I mean, one of my dreams is to have my own yacht (sailboat or motoryacht) that I can cross the world in.

I'm talking, goals of 8-9 figure networth before I'm too old to enjoy it.

I *know* this is possible, and that I can achieve at least some taste of it.

The tutoring business is never going to get me there in time.

I think it's time to turn to a SaaS model and start a new business.

-------------------

I understand the "big picture" of entrepreneurship pretty well after 7 years of running my company. Even a simple tutoring company will teach you a lot about marketing, execution, and good business ideas. Plus, I've made an effort to stay relatively "cutting edge", so I'm skilled with website development, email lists, automation, etc.

Now, here's why I think SaaS is the way to go for any serious entrepreneur in 2017:

Software Ownership is *the* greatest, most scalable, most profitable global business model in human history. I am 100% certain of my reasoning behind this.

[With one other contender - the global Financial Markets are the only equivalent alternative in terms of scale and profitability, but I'm not really interested for multiple reasons]

And, Software-as-a-Service (monthly recurring charge) is the best distillation of the Software Ownership model.

------

So, I turn my thoughts to starting a Software Company as soon as possible.

To answer the question before you ask:
No, I don't currently know how to program.

I've started studying the Python programming language for about a week, learning via the internet, free books, and hands-on practice.

I think that with a few more weeks of hardcore study, I should be able to know "just enough" to create basic software mockups, Alpha versions, or at least instruct other developers in what to build for me.

-------------

Next part of the process is Idea Extraction / finding pain points in a sizable market.

I think I should go after local / small businesses. Find a problem that TONS of small businesses deal with... ideally, something they already *pay money* to solve.

This must be a problem that can be solved through subscription software.
I have some ideas already, but I'm not going to share the specifics quite yet. It's too easy to kill ideas before they're hatched.

-----------

Anyway, this gives the general idea of where I'm coming from, and where I'd like to go.

I think a Software Ownership business, focused on developing SaaS solutions for small local businesses... built around uncovered "pain points" through customer development and conversations with potential customers. Then aggressively marketed...

This is a much better chance of hitting the Fastlane than my current tutoring business. I'm still proud of my company, and especially what I've learned.

But, I'm about to be 30 years old, and I have relatively little to show for all my hard work, other than the lessons I've learned... and my self-respect for putting in the hard work.

It's time to make my financial dreams come true. If you're curious, I can post pictures of some of my dream yachts... ;)

EDIT: I included one XD

8693.jpg

Riva 88 Domino Super

Very small amount of input here, but try a language like c# or something like that. Python is a little dated, and not many other developers know it. If you want to think about allowing others to modify your code, learn the popular languages.

Also, love this thread, keep it up man!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kaizening

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Aug 1, 2017
San Francisco
Hey Young-Gun, just wanted to thank you for posting your progress on here for so long. I read through the whole thread tonight and picked up some great tips on cold emailing. Hope you're doing well.

Tina70k

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 13, 2017
London, UK
Hi Young Gun, it's just gone 11pm here in the UK and I've spent most of the day riveted with your posts, which have distracted me from the day job - a very pleasant distraction I must say!

Really enjoyed your thread, really useful information.

I'm building a SaaS myself and am starting to focus on the NEED too. Albeit I've learnt the hard way after spending time and money building a landing page and a prototype, but hey ho, you live and you learn! Time to really validate the idea now before I get too excited and carried away with my vision.

Anyway, hope all is good with you and the SaaS is going well, as well as your Tutoring business.

It'll be great to get an update!

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Are you using HubSpot Sales Pro? You can just schedule 'sequences' and personalize them / add follow-up notes that hit you by email / use the tasks in the free CRM. Sales pro is $50/month.. I'd highly recommend for your prospecting efforts.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Friday night update - another good Interview and a day of rest:

- Did a long NEED Interview in Industry A (double-length, nearly half an hour). I learned a lot; it was another very friendly interview. She volunteered to let me keep interviewing for extra time, even though she had a busy day.
- Spent most of the afternoon resting, I'm completely exhausted from the past 6 days. Friday is my "traditional" one day off per week, so I don't feel bad.
- 4 upcoming Customer Development interviews scheduled for next week. Not too shabby, right? Considering I no longer lift a finger; my system keeps getting them scheduled for me completely automatically.
- More automated Cold Emails will go out on Mon-Thurs of next week, and get more Interviews.

Just wanted to remark - as of today, I have *6* completed Interview recordings.
That's over 90 minutes of Potential Customers talking about their Needs, Wants, Fears, Challenges, Repetitive Tasks, all targeted around a single industry / audience.
I have these recordings - and NO ONE ELSE has them! I own the *only copies* of these Need-Focused Interviews!

Business Amateurs may say "so what, there is no monetary value in that."

WRONG.

Refer to the CENTS framework of TMF .

These Interview Recordings are crystallized drops of *NEED*.
They are under my complete *CONTROL*.
The energy I've put into obtaining these recordings is *ENTRY*. This has been difficult and time-consuming. It's also required planning and persistence.

Do the recordings satisfy *SCALE* and *TIME*?
No, because I must do them myself.
BUT my Automatic Cold Email + Interview Calendar helps optimize my Scale and Time factors by leveraging computer systems for more scale with less time.

And in the future, I *could* have a trusted employee do the Need Interviews for me. They'll be able to use the Systems I've already built. This would allow my Software Company to develop more software, more income streams, with less Time invested from me.

The Scale and Time will really come from my *solution* to the NEED I choose to focus on.

By taking my time to solve the Right Problem, to get all the CENTS commandments as near a 10 out of 10 as possible, I'm putting all the Odds on My Side.

I'm not desperate for cash. The Tutoring Biz is keeping me well-fed, although a bit busy. I'm taking my time, aiming carefully, for a HUGE hit. For Yacht Money.

As you can see, I've stayed pure to the CENTS commandments.
If you go back to the *FIRST PAGE* of this thread, over 2 months ago, you'll see that has *ALWAYS* been my central guiding star.

The whole Interview process could easily be repeated for multiple other Industries or "Verticals."

My direction may seem unclear, but my purpose is not.
If I keep at it, the Needs will become more and more clear.
Each 10 or 20 Interviews, I plan to put Cold Emails on Pause, and spent some time going over the Interview Recordings with Pen and Paper... searching for NEEDS that were mentioned; categorizing, organizing, prioritizing.
Then I can use this "refined information" to guide and improve the next 10 or 20 Interviews, etc.

At a certain point I'll start Proposing Solutions in Interviews, rather than Identifying Needs. But, there's a ways to go before that point.

Will update tomorrow! Good luck to you!

Izanami-yacht.jpg

Ronin
Interesting thread... What's the latest?

Last edited by a moderator:

daru

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 11, 2017
Earth
Very small amount of input here, but try a language like c# or something like that. Python is a little dated, and not many other developers know it. If you want to think about allowing others to modify your code, learn the popular languages.

Also, love this thread, keep it up man!
This is just not true. I think maybe you mixed Python with Perl? Python is very popular and there are many developers using it. Currently big in ML with Tensorflow etc. C# is fine but you are pretty much tied to Microsoft architecture to use it?

Hm, one wonders what happened with this project? We have a few idea extraction SaaS threads going on right now so sort of bump this one. I tried that approach myself and failed (gave up).

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I PM'd him a while back and got no response. Apparently he's still around but lying low. Hope something big is in the works.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

Andel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 13, 2018
Warsaw, Poland
Hi @Young-Gun!

I've already read all thread and I must say that your posts clarified many issues for me. It was a pleasure to read it. Thank you so much!

How are things going? Please let us know. I hope your business is thriving, you've been working hard on it.

FreakyThomas

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 26, 2017
Nice, France
So sad to see after reading it that there's no new for more than a year... Anyway, thank you for sharing so much.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.