The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Robert Kioysaki: The Eye of the Recession's Storm

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
New article from Robert Kioysaki.

Enjoy,

Tom

The Eye of the Recession's Storm

Is the recession really (not just technically) over? Is the economy coming back? Are jobs coming back? Obviously, the answers to those questions depend upon whom you talk with. As the old saying goes, “If your neighbor loses his job, we’re in a recession. If you lose your job, we’re in a depression.”
Here in America, the economic news is still pretty dire. A recent survey of college seniors revealed that 85 percent said they planned on moving back in with Mom and Dad. They simply can’t find jobs. The October 25, 2010, edition of USA Today ran the headline: For Many Over 55, Debt Defers Dreams: Recession Strips Away Savings, Jobs. The article states, “The unemployment rate for Americans 55 and older was 7.2% in September, a major increase from 2.9% in September 2006.”
Overseas, the news isn’t much better. The British government recently announced austerity programs that will cut 500,000 government jobs and cut welfare payments drastically. The French rioted in the streets, protesting the retirement age being raised two years from 60 to 62. Japan is now sending work overseas, which means more unemployment in Japan. The Yen’s strength makes Japanese products more expensive. So they seek lower-wage countries to manufacture their products. Toyota is set to produce 57 percent of its product overseas, up from 48 percent in 2005. Nissan will produce 71 percent overseas, up from 66 percent just last year. Bye-bye, Japanese jobs.
What Does This Mean?
Recently, as I was finishing my dinner at a local Italian restaurant, my waiter asked me, “May I talk to you about my mortgage?”
“Sure,” I replied.
“I haven’t paid my mortgage in over 18 months,” he said. “What do you think I should do?”
“Has the bank been calling you?” I asked.
“At first, but lately I’ve heard nothing,” he said hesitantly. “And I’m not the only one. Three of the cooks in the kitchen have also stopped paying their mortgage.”
“And what are you doing with the money?”
“We’re saving it.”
“And what do you plan on doing?” I asked.
“Wait till they take our houses,” he said. “Do you think this is a good idea?”
“I wouldn’t do it,” I said with a smile. “Why are you doing it?”
“Because the mortgage is more than the value of the house. We’re better off not paying the mortgage and saving the money. Let them take our houses.”
I didn’t agree or disagree with this man…yet, silently, I couldn’t fault his logic. Since he was 18 months behind on his mortgage, he was so far behind that he was actually ahead.
As you probably know, the mortgage mess is only getting worse, not better. Many people aren’t paying their mortgages because they don’t have a job. Yet there are a growing number of people who have jobs but who are also refusing to pay their mortgage.
A medical doctor friend of mine confirmed this growing trend. He said the doctors he works with, doctors who make a lot of money, are buying a lower-priced second home and then defaulting on their primary residence.
If this trend turns into an avalanche, the real estate market will crash again. The only people holding onto their homes are people like me, people who purchased before the bubble and don’t owe much, if anything, on their homes.
If there is another real estate crash, it’s people like me -- people who pay their mortgages -- who might be the biggest losers.

03.gif

Looking at the chart, it’s easy to see the eye of the storm. The second half of the storm is about to hit.
The leading edge of the storm was the subprime mortgage defaults, the storm that hit in 2007. The trailing edge of the storm will be the defaults of people who are solid citizens, people who have good jobs and good credit.
How severe the second front of the storm will be is yet to be seen. If there are more people like the waiter and cooks in the Italian restaurant and the highly paid doctors who don’t want to pay for a house that is going down in value, the second half of the storm will be very severe.
Good News
The good news is that the Fed and banks are hard at work trying to keep borrowers in place. The Fed and local banks have dropped interest rates, enticing people like me to borrow, borrow, and borrow some more, which I’m happy to do.
Thanks to my latest refinances, my wife and I will save over $7,000 a month in monthly mortgage payments -- that’s $84,000 a year savings. And as far as our rental apartments go, refinancing and saving 2 percent per year on over $100,000,000 in debt is substantial. Even better, since so many people are renting, our apartments are operating at near 97 percent occupancy, even when rents increase.
Bad News
The bad news is that inflation is likely to rise. This will make life even harder for the poor and the middle class. Every time the Fed implements “quantitative easing,” a.k.a. printing more money, two things go up: taxes and inflation. When taxes and inflation go up, more jobs are lost.
Making the situation even worse is President Obama’s Healthcare Reform Bill. In my heart, I understand why he put so much of his term in office to push this bill through. I have relatives who have no healthcare. So for them, the healthcare bill may be a godsend. But for millions of others this bill is their ticket to the unemployment line. The added cost of healthcare is forcing companies to lay off workers.
With Medicare set to go bust in 2019, I wonder how our leaders could pass another program we can’t afford.
So is the recession really over?
For some, the recession has been like Hurricane Katrina. They’ve lost everything in the storm but now the levies are about to break and the flooding will begin. For others, the recession never started. The reality is, unfortunately, that it’s far from over.
What advice do I have?
Over the years, my advice hasn’t changed.
In 1997, in Rich Dad, Poor Dad, I stated, “Your home is not an asset.” Real estate agents sent me hate mail.
In 2007 the first subprime mortgages began to collapse. In 2011, the second wave is about to hit.
In 2002 in Rich Dad’s Prophecy, I stated, “You may have up to the year 2010 to become prepared.”
In 2006 Donald Trump and I wrote Why We Want You to Be Rich, predicting the decline of the middle class. Today the working middle class is slipping into poverty.
For years, I’ve been an advocate for financial education in our schools, and I’ve preached that, as individuals, we must take financial education seriously. Today, my advice remains the same. Until we have comprehensive financial education, we’ll never see the end of our booms and busts.

the-eye-of-the-recessions-storm: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest3722A

The Daily Show Takes on Bernanke and Printing Money - Real Time Economics - WSJ

But:

Five reasons to love Bernanke Outside the Box - MarketWatch

From the 2nd article:

"Ignore the pundits and politicians who have read a few chapters by Milton Friedman and think they know something (or anything) about monetary theory. These economic illiterates believe the expansion of the Fed balance sheet means more inflation and debasement of the U.S. dollar. They do not understand that classical monetary theory was developed in a bygone era of fixed exchange rates and the gold standard.

What we have today are radically reduced asset prices, and when you combine that with price measures for goods and services, it is clear that deflation has been the real issue for more than two years. And there is only one way to fight deflation: forcing more liquidity into the financial system. Even Friedman would have said so. The Fed will continue to increase liquidity as long as asset prices are under pressure."

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
The position of where we are on the graph is off. We're a bit more further along. We're already outside the 'eye'.

Best regards.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Hey, how about going back to the original article that RK "borrowed" his info from, written almost 3 YEARS AGO?

Monthly Mortgage Rate Resets, 2007-2016 - The Consumerist

Please read the link above-- it makes some excellent points that RK chooses not to discuss (ie, the fact that most of the resets occurring right now, and next year, are option-Arms and Alt-As, NOT subprime loans).

-Russ H.

Here is the detailed graph (note that it even has the same label (Figure 1.7), but contains so much more info. BTW, I copied/pasted both graphs and overlaid them-- they are identical:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
The position of where we are on the graph is off. We're a bit more further along. We're already outside the 'eye'.

Bizarre. Do you think RK wrote this for them back in Jan 2010, and they're just running it now?

Who would let a mistake like this go through?

We're not out of it, yet. We are headed for the biggest spike in 2011.

Altho-- this is a graph that is at LEAST 3 years old-- I'm guessing the most recent graph might be a bit different.

-Russ H.

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now

Best regards.

I looked at the chart too and noticed the eye of the storm was off. I figured someone messed up.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I looked at the graph and took it as a lag between resets and defaults. A person who had their mortage reset higher may struggle and make payments a few months before giving up.

What is interesting to me is that all my resets actually lowered my interest rates. I am welcoming my next reset in early 2011. My loans went from 6%+ to 3%. I wonder how many others are doing the same instead of going up.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
My only reset was lower as well, about 2%. We also did a cash out loan on favorable terms and we did a refi on our residence and lowered the interest 2% on a 15 year fixed note. 2010 was a good year for us and 2011 looks even better.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
What is interesting to me is that all my resets actually lowered my interest rates. I am welcoming my next reset in early 2011. My loans went from 6%+ to 3%. I wonder how many others are doing the same instead of going up.

My only reset was lower as well, about 2%. We also did a cash out loan on favorable terms and we did a refi on our residence and lowered the interest 2% on a 15 year fixed note. 2010 was a good year for us and 2011 looks even better.

This is exactly the point I've been trying to outline to the dooms-day'ers... yes, we're headed for a glut of adjustments, but they're trending down, ie: lower payments. I'm not even going to pretend to be able to predict the direction of a storm that has so many variables in play, but I do know we'll make it. Just like every "OH GOD THE WORLD IS GOING TO END" storm we've had before.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
This is exactly the point I've been trying to outline to the dooms-day'ers... yes, we're headed for a glut of adjustments, but they're trending down, ie: lower payments. I'm not even going to pretend to be able to predict the direction of a storm that has so many variables in play, but I do know we'll make it. Just like every "OH GOD THE WORLD IS GOING TO END" storm we've had before.

This has not been the case for all RE investors. I know of at least one other REI on these forums who has had the banks just say "no"-- not b/c they were losing money (they weren't)-- but b/c they were "over extended"-- meaning the banks didn't want to take on their risk.

We fall into this same category-- we bought, restored, and converted several homes to grow our B&B, but since the loans were personal (not business)-- and since we have not paid ourselves these past 3 years (all extra $$ went into the restorations), we do not have tax returns that look good-- ie, that show we're making enough $$$ to do a re-fi.

It doesn't matter that we're servicing all of the loans. What matters to the bank is that we don't fit inside "their box". So we have to hang on to these loans, and work at building the business up so that we can (eventually) switch over to business loans.

If I could figure out a way to do a re-fi on my house right now, I would. But we're under water (current mortgage + HELOC = $850K, current worth is about $450-550K), so the banks won't touch this.

It's sad that a strategic default is the forced option. :nonod:

I realize that we're unusual, so I'm not complaining here-- just pointing out that not everyone (esp REIs) can do things right now-- we just don't fit into the bank's narrow guidelines.

-Russ H.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Some of these guys have no idea what they are talking about.... Kiyosaki makes a couple of good points once and awhile, but he seems just as out-of-touch as the CNBC pundits on this issue!

I still don't understand why you keep hearing people talking about the coming "wave of ARM resets" in a panic!

Option-Arms were available for a max of 1 year, as I recall... You would buy it with a teaser rate locked in at 1% for 12 months, and then it would adjust upward. So in my estimation, 99% of option arms have already reset and we've already felt their effect at this time. Option Arms weren't even available that long! I think they were around for about 1.5 years during the height of the subprime boom! They are no longer available, and haven't been available for several years now....

Now regular ARMs have already been resetting for at least 3-4 years. I have 3 of them. All of my ARMs reset down. Way down! My rates right now average between 2.5-3.5%, which is generally far below anything you'll get for a 30 year fixed right now, especially on rental property!!! Mine are all tied to the LIBOR rate which has been especially stable for at least 3 years now. Even if there is an upward adjustment, my ARMs are capped so they can't move more than 2% up in any given year.

If you're in a situation like mine where rents have held solid but all of your payments have gone down, I think this is a really good time to start paying down some of your principal. Especially if you are like me and have a HELOC on your primary. I'm going to work hard in 2011 to pay down my HELOC before rates creep up and my $150/mo payment goes back up to $700/mo, which is where it was at about 5 years ago!

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
This has not been the case for all RE investors. I know of at least one other REI on these forums who has had the banks just say "no"-- not b/c they were losing money (they weren't)-- but b/c they were "over extended"-- meaning the banks didn't want to take on their risk.

I don't think that Kiyosaki was talking about people trying to refi, but just people with ARMs reseting. I think most people on this forum probably had good credit and therefore had a low margin on their loan rates. Mine's 2.5, so 2.5% plus .5% is a 3% loan. But I have seen people with 8% margins so their loan could go from a fixed 6% to 8.5%. I don't know what the distribution between loan margins are like. I wonder if its a bell curve and us with the low 3% loans are in the huge minority.

I know that people who got 30 fixed at 6% and can't refi wish they had gotten 3/1 or 5/1 ARMs right now.

bigmark848

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 28, 2010
Hey, how about going back to the original article that RK "borrowed" his info from, written almost 3 YEARS AGO?

Monthly Mortgage Rate Resets, 2007-2016 - The Consumerist

Please read the link above-- it makes some excellent points that RK chooses not to discuss (ie, the fact that most of the resets occurring right now, and next year, are option-Arms and Alt-As, NOT subprime loans).

-Russ H.

Here is the detailed graph (note that it even has the same label (Figure 1.7), but contains so much more info. BTW, I copied/pasted both graphs and overlaid them-- they are identical:

Haha, Hey Russ, Thank you for pointing this out. I keep seeing ads where RK claims he predicted the recession but I never saw him once say it in 06-07. All I saw was him saying "You can be a real estate millionare with no money down! Buy NOW!"

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
All I saw was him saying "You can be a real estate millionare with no money down! Buy NOW!"

Really? I don't recall him saying that.

Anyway, remember that his business is to sell training material, coaching and seminars, not giving away RE advice.... keep that in mind when you hear his [or anybody's] advice. As 'they' say, "follow the money"

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Haha, Hey Russ, Thank you for pointing this out. I keep seeing ads where RK claims he predicted the recession but I never saw him once say it in 06-07. All I saw was him saying "You can be a real estate millionare with no money down! Buy NOW!"

Well, I hate to disagree w/you, but I actually recall reading a book written by RK where he talks about economic cycles, and that we get depressions every 70-80 years or so. He backs it up (in the book) w/examples.

IIRC, he was predicting a depression around 2012-2016.

BTW, he wrote this well before 2008 (when the financial collapse occurred).

Wish I could remember the book. I'm certain it was before the Trump/RK book, so that is a start.

RK was predicting that when baby boomers had to mandatorily withdraw money from their retirement accts (when they hit a certain age, and were required to do this, by law), that the mass withdrawals would cause a market crash.

I remember thinking: "So Congress just changes the law, and no longer makes it mandatory to withdraw funds. Problem solved."

Anyways, RK *did* predict a huge worldwide depression. I've actually been surprised he hasn't mentioned it more often.

-Russ H.

Andviv- I think our young friend here is referring to infomercials on how to buy RE. I'm guessing he has not read many (if any) of RK's books. That's a pity, bigmark848. There is actually a lot of really good info in RK's first few books (Rich Dad Poor Dad, Cashflow Quadrant, Rich Dad's Guide to Investing, and Retire Young, Retire Rich).

In looking up a list of his books, I'd guess the one that talks about a stock market crash is this one (written in 2002):

http://www.amazon.com/Rich-Dads-Prophecy-Coming-Yourself/dp/0446690341/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293555050&sr=8-1

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
And he also talked about something similar in Who Took My Money?

I also recall we had a conversation with some of the old timers here about how scarily accurate he has been with the cycles and timings... The one about gold surpassing $1,000 (made years and years ago) and saying it could reach $5,000 was interesting.

Anyway, he makes money from the seminars, do not forget about that...

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Speaking for myself, predictions are useless (I don't read them or make them), but generally speaking, an individual won't sell as well if they don't make them. The market dictates what the market wants.

Thus the market is cluttered with individuals who make predictions to sell their wares.

Best regards.

bigmark848

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 28, 2010
Well, I hate to disagree w/you, but I actually recall reading a book written by RK where he talks about economic cycles, and that we get depressions every 70-80 years or so. He backs it up (in the book) w/examples.

IIRC, he was predicting a depression around 2012-2016.

BTW, he wrote this well before 2008 (when the financial collapse occurred).

Wish I could remember the book. I'm certain it was before the Trump/RK book, so that is a start.

RK was predicting that when baby boomers had to mandatorily withdraw money from their retirement accts (when they hit a certain age, and were required to do this, by law), that the mass withdrawals would cause a market crash.

I remember thinking: "So Congress just changes the law, and no longer makes it mandatory to withdraw funds. Problem solved."

Anyways, RK *did* predict a huge worldwide depression. I've actually been surprised he hasn't mentioned it more often.

-Russ H.

Andviv- I think our young friend here is referring to infomercials on how to buy RE. I'm guessing he has not read many (if any) of RK's books. That's a pity, bigmark848. There is actually a lot of really good info in RK's first few books (Rich Dad Poor Dad, Cashflow Quadrant, Rich Dad's Guide to Investing, and Retire Young, Retire Rich).

In looking up a list of his books, I'd guess the one that talks about a stock market crash is this one (written in 2002):

Amazon.com: Rich Dad's Prophecy: Why The Biggest Stock Market Crash in History is Still Coming...and How You Can Prepare Yourself and Profit From It! (9780446690348): Robert T. Kiyosaki, Sharon L. Lechter: Books

Hey Russ,

Thanks for pointing this out. And your right about Rich Dad, Poor Dad being a great book with the right mindset, it was just almost every book since seems to be that book with some sort of twist on it. The book above seems like he is talking about the baby boomers bringing in a depression in the year 2016 by cashing out their 401ks and nothing about a housing bubble or what caused this recession. I haven't read the book so I'm only speculating.

You are also right about the seminar stuff. I heard that when people attend these seminars, they get upsold into these "coaching" programs where they charge you thousands of dollars to have a guru teach you to be a millionaire. I'm sure they don't claim this exactly but you get the picture. The reality is probably a guy making 40K a year calling you on the weekend and being a cheerleader reading off lines from a manual.

Sorry for sounding so bitter. I just hate seeing that "I predicted the recession" advertisement banner on yahoo.com . It leads me to believe that only 1 person is becoming a bigger millionaire. :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.