The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Research: Valedictorians rarely become rich — the average millionaire's college GPA was 2.9

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
"But how many of these number-one high-school performers go on to change the world, run the world, or impress the world?" Eric Barker says in his new book, "Barking Up the Wrong Tree," which cites the research. "The answer seems to be clear: zero.”
Barking up the wrong tree is in the list of Books Fastlaners Recommend"

The the article cites research presented in a book by Karen Arnold:
Lives of Promise: What Becomes of High School Valedictorians: A Fourteen-year Study of Achievement and Life Choices.

Article from Business Insider:

Why valedictorians rarely become rich and famous — and the average millionaire's college GPA was 2.9

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Anandb

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 21, 2017
Hong Kong
"But how many of these number-one high-school performers go on to change the world, run the world, or impress the world?" Eric Barker says in his new book, "Barking Up the Wrong Tree," which cites the research. "The answer seems to be clear: zero.”

Lives of Promise: What Becomes of High School Valedictorians: A Fourteen-year Study of Achievement and Life Choices.

Why valedictorians rarely become rich and famous — and the average millionaire's college GPA was 2.9
Considering I was first in high school, a full scholarship college student, and I do (and will continue to, because I love the knowledge) take my college seriously, I definitely feel aware of how these shortcomings emerge.

Getting good grades in a classroom is a game. Once you understand how the game is played (memory skills, paper-writing hacks, etc.) it's simple enough to assure yourself a good grade. Entrepreneurship is an evolving game and that's why many "great students" are hesitant and resistant to the concept of a changing landscape.

Also, the amount of stress placed on good grades by society is insane. I have classmates who are wealthier than me because they know their way around stocks and shares and work their family businesses and their English or academic knowledge is half as savvy as mine.

One of them recently asked me for advice on what to do. Jeezus Christ, I told him he's absolutely doing amazing the way he is.

Nik@16

Contributor
Aug 22, 2018
India

And what was the sample , 700 people . Don't believe in bullshit. No matter how much limited knowledge they have , they are the people who makes most millionaires.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom