The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Repeated Mistakes

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
alright so im all for executing ideas and making mistakes to learn, but there are some things I do which I legit just dont feel like I ever learn. well actually i do learn but i dont make sure that i dont make the same mistakes again.

i have a tendency to be really lazy and skip out on the tedious tasks. this past month i had a chance to really make some great (and i mean really great) commission that would solve some of my problems on the financial side. i would have had extra money right now to execute an idea without having to worry too much about the downside risks. i was really ambitious and excited for the opportunity, but time after time i show that im not responsible ALL the way. i do not have the discipline to do paperwork stuff on time such as taxes, paying bills etc. even if i do sit down and force myself to do these tasks, just out of nowhere i start feeling sleepy. like wtf.

i am not trying to make excuses or anything, but at this point im about to turn 24 and im literally tired of this. i want to move out of this apartment and into that condo downtown. im so frustrated, and this is not the first time where i am frustrated. i had the chance to mention my problem to an executive in the city and he was low on time but he mentioned the MBTI test to see my weaknesses and strengths. i took the test, and although im not sure how accurate the assessments are supposed to be, the description that came out for my type was eerily spot on. so apparently im naturally supposed to be like this? either way, at this point, i just really need advice from someone that also had the issue of having lazy tendencies for tedious tasks. my problems accumulate to the point to where i waste a lot of time trying to catch up often times.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
One thing I notice in my life is whatever you haven't learned the first time around always shows up again. And when I master it, it seems to be much more of smoother ride in life. That's always the famous question in the moment for me. Is what can I learn from the situation. What is it triggering and bringing up and what do I need to face. What can I change. What were my choices in the past and what can I do differently than I did in the past to reach success.

Failure doesn't even enter my mind anymore. I just see it doesn't work. Okay, so lets do something different. It's all trial and error in life. There is no other way than adjusting and adapting to situations and looking from a new perceptions and new angle or many angles. Just like a piece of art work if you look it from each four sides from a different angle. You will see something different. Don't limit yourself to one specific angle.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
One thing I notice in my life is whatever you haven't learned the first time around always shows up again. And when I master it, it seems to be much more of smoother ride in life. That's always the famous question in the moment for me. Is what can I learn from the situation. What is it triggering and bringing up and what do I need to face. What can I change. What were my choices in the past and what can I do differently than I did in the past to reach success.

Failure doesn't even enter my mind anymore. I just see it doesn't work. Okay, so lets do something different. It's all trial and error in life. There is no other way than adjusting and adapting to situations and looking from a new perceptions and new angle or many angles. Just like a piece of art work if you look it from each four sides from a different angle. You will see something different. Don't limit yourself to one specific angle.

you are right. and i admit i made this thread out of sheer frustration. i just recently ended up completely ruining a great opportunity. i guess i should reflect on the situation as a whole for right now and make adjustments as you said.

i think im going to do things the right way around here and just make a progress thread for once.

thanks

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Don't worry - if you don't choose to take action now, eventually things will get so bad that you are forced to take action.

The reason you haven't done it is because doing these things you need to do are currently more uncomfortable than Slacking.

Set up circumstances where the pain of not doing these things is much greater than the pain of facing these new tasks, and thatll kick your a$$ into gear. Stickk.com with an accountability partner.

Give yourself no outs.

And set a specific date and a burning desire of already living in that downtown condo. Create an image in your mind of you living there. In front of that image, put an image that represents the tasks you need to do.

The only way to get to that condo is ..tackling obstacles.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Last edited by a moderator:

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
guys i really appreciate the advice. i always thought i wanted it bad enough. shit, i mean sometimes my fears (failure and the consequences of failure) would wake me up in the middle of the night. ive taken plenty of action, but it's these tedious things that show responsibility im slacking on.

all the business ideas i had, i executed, i am definitely a doer (in a sense), but when it comes to refining my approaches and cleaning up on the stupid mistakes, i just cant figure out why im not becoming more responsible. that part is driving me insane. i will do the hardest tasks that involve problem solving 5 things just to solve the 1 big problem, but at the end when it comes to filing a mandatory report on that problem or something, i will put it off till later, which turns into forever.

@AndrewNC I suppose I do need to put dates on my goals and tasks a bit more seriously. i think logging my journey on this place will help for 2 reasons

1) i will write it down on paper as i write it out on here, so i remember it, get motivated more, and am able to receive help from people here.
2) writing it down will hold make me commit to finishing a task thoroughly, because if i don't, then i will have the infamous wantrapreneur label by everyone, if i don't already.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
guys i really appreciate the advice. i always thought i wanted it bad enough. shit, i mean sometimes my fears (failure and the consequences of failure) would wake me up in the middle of the night. ive taken plenty of action, but it's these tedious things that show responsibility im slacking on.

all the business ideas i had, i executed, i am definitely a doer (in a sense), but when it comes to refining my approaches and cleaning up on the stupid mistakes, i just cant figure out why im not becoming more responsible. that part is driving me insane. i will do the hardest tasks that involve problem solving 5 things just to solve the 1 big problem, but at the end when it comes to filing a mandatory report on that problem or something, i will put it off till later, which turns into forever.

@AndrewNC I suppose I do need to put dates on my goals and tasks a bit more seriously. i think logging my journey on this place will help for 2 reasons

1) i will write it down on paper as i write it out on here, so i remember it, get motivated more, and am able to receive help from people here.
2) writing it down will hold make me commit to finishing a task thoroughly, because if i don't, then i will have the infamous wantrapreneur label by everyone, if i don't already.
The fear of failure is the first thing to get over.

I don't think that everyone needs to be detailed to succeed. Nor do they need to be super responsible. You just need to move past the pretend level.

For most people to be considered successful, they need one sale or deal that brings in money. Then scale from there.

Writing shit down is not the path to success. Moving an idea to a money making position is.

Even almost making money will work if you can learn from that and adjust.

Last edited:

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011

Stickk.com commitment that you Can't back out of should be the main takeaway from my post.

The planning takes 2 seconds - after 2 seconds, it's just another form of procrastination.

Either way. - like my first post - after long enough things will get so bad that you'll be forged to move forward.

Or the rest of your life will be like the past.

Action. Now.

Ultralite

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jan 2, 2016
my dad is an entrepreneur too, albeit an unsuccessful one because he always did stuff like this.
I noticed the tendency in myself when I was free to do whatever I wanted. I'd come home from work, no one was there to tell me what to do, so I'd do some stuff for my business, pat myself on the back and chill.

I got rid of this behavior by:

1. using trello. I categorized all the stuff I needed to do in trello and moved it into a "done" column. Gives you a feeling of accomplishment when you move that task.

2. not celebrating after tasks. so what if you solved 5 problems to solve 1 big problem? you haven't achieved your main goal of becoming fastlane yet, so why are you stopping? Don't let yourself rest until you've done the small boring stuff too.

3. this one really helps me but your mileage may vary. Like the others said, make it hurt, make it really hurt. Start waking up super early in the morning, turn your shower to the coldest setting, get in and stay in for at least 5 minutes. Contemplate your life, how much do you want success? When the thought of success makes your chest burn as much as your desire to get out of that cold shower, maybe then you'll be successful. If you have a job, go to work, smile on the outside, stay angry on the inside. I work for a big company and some of these guys I work with are slowlane af. Listen to them talk sometimes, fill your mind with their useless advice about 401ks and desire for retirement 20 years from now, mentally punch yourself and vow you'll never be like them. Look at your boss and get super pissed (even if he's nice). Not only did he succumb to the slowlane mentality, here is he is peddling the same mindset to you and everyone else. Get mad at the corporate entity, paying you peanuts while all the fastlaners are sitting in their penthouses laughing. Tell yourself that you ain't shit multiple times a day, and think about how it's your own fault for not trying harder. Better to be angry now and take action than angry later and filled with regret.

Nowadays, whenever I get the urge to slack at doing the small things I just draw on that well of rage and think about how someone else out there who's working harder than me will get everything that I think I deserve. That usually pumps me up enough to do even the boring stuff.

I used to get depressed and frustrated at my job and coworkers but not anymore, because now I see an exit strategy (this is the smiling on the outside part!).
if you ever feel frustrated and want to complain, just crush it down and use it to feed your desire to work. good luck man!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I think again from my experience, whenever I put the "I Need to be Responsible" In the equation it made it more of a struggle. First of all It implies a negative image of self. I never do? I can't do? This comes down to positive self-talk. Talking yourself over the bodies emotional signal of pain and telling you it's uncomfortable change.

Usually there is something emotional in the way that needs to be looked at. What in the past was similar to the situation now that caused you pain when you applied certain actions? What was your thoughts, feelings, and emotions about the situation? Right now you're experiencing those same feelings, emotions, and need to shift it to a more positive emotion and feeling and over ride the feeling of fear and illusion of what you experienced in the past in a similar situation. "Cleaning up the stupid mistakes" indicates you are beating yourself up about failures and mistakes. Burning negative energy, instead of seeing failure is just an opportunity of learning and growth. Nothing more or less. It's how you perceive the experience. How you see it. Is it bad? Is it good? Just see it as neutral and a grey area, no good or bad about it. It just is what it is, and you have the option to do something different. Let it go and focus on your next step, instead of wasting time on the negative self-talk and negative thinking. Let go of the past minute by minute. Stay calm instead of getting upset and frustrated.

Yes, you can drive yourself insane with negative self-talk, fear, and focusing on the mistakes and past. Stay present now, and what can you do right now to turn it around.

Making a report is forming a habit. So you take steps every day to keep working at forming the habit, until it becomes a successful habit and becomes natural.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.