The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Rents going down?

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
One would think with the current foreclosure rate and increasing mortgage rates, rentals would be a hot item with rents on the increase. I have two rentals that just became vacant, and for the first time in their lives (6 years +) neither are re-rented. It pains me to think that I may have to reduce rents to get them occupied, but my wife commented that the current fuel prices along with other increases across the board may be causing people to look at spending less for housing and thats why these houses are sitting. I'm beginning to think she's correct, all the while hoping she's wrong. Now a reduction of $50 a month is only one months rent (in total) each year.........not that bad, but rent should be going up with urgency not down!

For those getting into rentals, be careful, you may need to develop your plan around lower numbers to be safe, and hope they don't end up being a real number.

Anyone else seeing this problem?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
One would think with the current foreclosure rate and increasing mortgage rates, rentals would be a hot item with rents on the increase. I have two rentals that just became vacant, and for the first time in their lives (6 years +) neither are re-rented. It pains me to think that I may have to reduce rents to get them occupied, but my wife commented that the current fuel prices along with other increases across the board may be causing people to look at spending less for housing and thats why these houses are sitting. I'm beginning to think she's correct, all the while hoping she's wrong. Now a reduction of $50 a month is only one months rent (in total) each year.........not that bad, but rent should be going up with urgency not down!

For those getting into rentals, be careful, you may need to develop your plan around lower numbers to be safe, and hope they don't end up being a real number.

I understand what you're saying, but there could also be another rationale: If houses aren't selling, landlords and owners could decide to put them on the rental market instead to try to cover their mortgage. Then, they can sell later when the market rebounds. It's obviously not an optimal time to sell, so many people may choose to wait it out. This increase in rental supply may be causing the equilibrium price to drop in your area.

erikko

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 29, 2008
in our country, rental fees are greatly affected by fuel costs and food prices, they are like dominoes.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
The problem we have around here are all the houses that people refuse to sell for various reasons are now rentals. Lots of houses were listed at inflated 2004 prices for a year, since they couldn't get their money now they are rentals, until the market returns. So the competition is a bit more, prices havn't really changed much though.

I expect rents to increase around here in the next couple of years, because when the market comes back all these rentals will be sold. Eco 101, decreasing supply should drive up cost.

tbsells

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 27, 2007
Ohio
I think the others who have mentioned the larger than normal supply of rental homes are correct. Renters now have the ability to shop around a little more. Like buyers, they are looking for better quality and lower price.

This hasn't been much of an issue for me lately. My issue has been collecting rent. Its tougher than its ever been, I almost afraid of what this winter will bring with increased heating costs, etc.

PurEnergy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 4, 2008
I've got one vacant right now. I haven't raised the rent in years. After doing some research, I've raised the rent from $625 to $700. My nearest competitor is $800 and it's because he's got a detached garage and I have a carport. I've got 25 calls in the last three days. We'll see how it goes.

As far as turnover, I've got a buddy in town with over 50 houses. He said they are turning over a lot right now. He said he had 10 empty at one point recently. He also said if they weren't torn up they were rented out again the next week or so.

I think people are positioning themselves for this economy. I also think there are a lot more rentals than there were the closer you get to the median home price in the area. The lower end seems pretty good right now.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Yes.
SteveO has said in the past that, when the economy turns bad, many families double-up, sharing houses to save on expenses. I think that may be happening on hard-hit areas. More people take roommates thus less properties are rented.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I don't understand how people flip houses in this enviornment. I have several housees by me that just won't move! One has been on the market for several months, the other is being foreclosed on. I am wondering if I should put my apartment search on hold and try to purchase these two town houses right across my driveway!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I am wondering if I should put my apartment search on hold and try to purchase these two town houses right across my driveway!

The 10 million dollar question is... why???

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
Well I'm happy to report that my vacant properties are no longer vacant (well theoretically). I took a deposit for one the beginning of the week (reduced the price $50 to generate phone calls) and took a deposit for the other one tonight (went back up to my reg. price after having reduced it). Looks like I get to sign two new leases tomorrow!:hurray: Definitely taking longer (45 days +) and the callers (based on my phone pre-qualifying conversations) are without a doubt, less caliber than previous years.
Just hope these two end up turning out okay and get me through another year.
On another happy note, the guy (an agent) who put the tenant and myself together (was someone I knew through my wife's work), has a couple of clients that may be capable and interested in buying my package of rentals (not officially for sale but would certainly not pass up a huge pay day!).......we'll see where that goes.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Congrats. Hope things stabilize for you for at least a year.:cheers:

cmartin371

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Apr 14, 2008
Nashua, NH
I have seen the price of rentals soften a bit up here in my area of the Northeast. It seems as though renters can get a little more bang for the buck from even a year ago.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs

Yeh in the parts of town where most of my rentals are (low income) the rents have been stagnant or have decreased in the past 5 yrs or so. I think a lot of it has to do with inflation in other areas (Groceries & Fuel) -- and these types of renters will move home with Mom & Dad before they'll pay an extra $50-100 a month in rent. They'll also be the type of renters to consider a roommate more readily, or to consider living in a cheaper dump apartment, etc....

My properties in the good neighborhoods have been holding their rents and 1 increased in the past 5 yrs.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.