The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Renting Local Lead Generation Sites

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Patti

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Oct 13, 2016
Kingston, ON - Canada
As I have mentioned in a few other threads, my interest in the fast lane started when I came across the “Job Killing” program that has been advertised quite heavily over the past few months. Local lead generation made a lot of sense to me in terms of scale and magnitude. A means to a better life and with something I could really be passionate about because I’m really helping other businesses to be more successful. With that said, the business model made a lot of sense to be, but the cost to join JK and learn the skills through them seemed rather high. I have since been teaching myself the skills, and learning everything I can online. Additionally, with support systems such as this forum, you can get help along the way. Which brings me to this post.

In the last week, all of JK’s videos have been removed from Youtube, and their website seems to be down. Which looks bad. There is a company out there right now flooding Youtube with videos claiming that the JK program is a scam. The common claim in the videos seem to be the high cost of the program (for what you could teach yourself for free). But most importantly, the legalities surrounding advertising yourself within a particular industry with a lead generation site and renting those leads or site to a business in that industry.

My intention once I get the skills behind me, and start executing my “internet marketing business” is to of course:
  • Register my business
  • Obtain a business number for tax reporting
  • Obtain insurance
  • Incorporate
  • And other business essentials required…
My concern is with the claims that this company is making about local lead generation websites and renting out these sites. Liability issues, not following regulations etc…I know there are many people on here in this industry, so my question is – is there actually anything illegal about renting out the websites? I have tried to google and research as much as I can to try to figure this out myself, but I’m just not sure I’m typing in the correct search terms.

For example, I live in Ontario, Canada and I picked the plumbing industry as a means to research the legalities surrounding provincial regulations. Of course the industry itself has licensing regulations, for performing the work. (so you would want a client that is actually licensed to do the work, if you are funnelling leads to them)

But when I search Ontario provincial advertising regulations, I do not find anything that pertains to advertising a business on behalf of another business (local lead generation website). There are stipulations about “false advertising”, but this pertains towards the idea that you are advertising that you are a licensed business, but in fact are not.

So in summary:
  • Is renting out lead generation websites in general illegal?
  • Is there a better more successful way to leverage these sites than renting them to the clients?
  • If you are renting out lead generation sites or selling them to the client, are there specific searches you conduct per state, province, industry to confirm you are covering your butt in each case (rent/sell)?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
I'm no lawyer, but people do lead generation all day long in every business...

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I think you have the wrong idea about local lead gen. Read everything @Andy Black has posted on the topic. He is in the same business, but with much more experience.

Its a very hard, very competitive and IMO unrewarding business model. Generating leads is becoming more and more expensive (even if you are among the top people regarding knowledge in paid traffic and conversion optimization) and 99% of local businesses are a pain in the a$$ to deal with. I'm speaking from experience as I worked with hundreds of local businesses as a marketing consultant and wanted to build sth like this up on a national level but decided against it (after even securing 6 figure funding for it).

IMO not a fastlane business model because you're always hustling.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:

gClaw

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 22, 2016
Michigan
Read the local lead gen thread in my signature.

Google for "[HASHTAG]#AndyTalks[/HASHTAG] 013 The Big Vision".

Also listen to this chat between myself and @Random_0
As I have mentioned in a few other threads, my interest in the fast lane started when I came across the “Job Killing” program that has been advertised quite heavily over the past few months. Local lead generation made a lot of sense to me in terms of scale and magnitude. A means to a better life and with something I could really be passionate about because I’m really helping other businesses to be more successful. With that said, the business model made a lot of sense to be, but the cost to join JK and learn the skills through them seemed rather high. I have since been teaching myself the skills, and learning everything I can online. Additionally, with support systems such as this forum, you can get help along the way. Which brings me to this post.

In the last week, all of JK’s videos have been removed from Youtube, and their website seems to be down. Which looks bad. There is a company out there right now flooding Youtube with videos claiming that the JK program is a scam. The common claim in the videos seem to be the high cost of the program (for what you could teach yourself for free). But most importantly, the legalities surrounding advertising yourself within a particular industry with a lead generation site and renting those leads or site to a business in that industry.

My intention once I get the skills behind me, and start executing my “internet marketing business” is to of course:
  • Register my business
  • Obtain a business number for tax reporting
  • Obtain insurance
  • Incorporate
  • And other business essentials required…
My concern is with the claims that this company is making about local lead generation websites and renting out these sites. Liability issues, not following regulations etc…I know there are many people on here in this industry, so my question is – is there actually anything illegal about renting out the websites? I have tried to google and research as much as I can to try to figure this out myself, but I’m just not sure I’m typing in the correct search terms.

For example, I live in Ontario, Canada and I picked the plumbing industry as a means to research the legalities surrounding provincial regulations. Of course the industry itself has licensing regulations, for performing the work. (so you would want a client that is actually licensed to do the work, if you are funnelling leads to them)

But when I search Ontario provincial advertising regulations, I do not find anything that pertains to advertising a business on behalf of another business (local lead generation website). There are stipulations about “false advertising”, but this pertains towards the idea that you are advertising that you are a licensed business, but in fact are not.

So in summary:
  • Is renting out lead generation websites in general illegal?
  • Is there a better more successful way to leverage these sites than renting them to the clients?
  • If you are renting out lead generation sites or selling them to the client, are there specific searches you conduct per state, province, industry to confirm you are covering your butt in each case (rent/sell)?

Patti - I'm a member of the JK forum & program. Don't know anything about their YT videos going down but I can tell you their 'Faceless' page is up and active as usual as is their members area.

I've plucked away at Lead Gen around my 70hr/wk j-o-b & it's a slow trudge an hour here an hour there. Hard to get any momentum when you're sleep-walking most of the time w/ bed head in a purple haze.

The JK course is expensive, yeah, but there is massive info, weekly conf calls, info frequently added in the program & a truckload of members who've turned their lives around following the program, and, after dumping their j-o-b replaced their incomes multiple times over.

I'm fairly new here a couple weeks ago, my 1st post actually, and from browsing around here on the Fastlane Forum there is also a massive amount of information from other successful lead gen marketing threads that you can read and apply. I very rarely post on forums, more of a 'fly-on-the-wall' guy I guess who'd rather watch/read things unfold from the shadows instead of being center stage, but when I read your post I wanted to acknowledge JK is fine.

Save yourself the money by just donating some of your time, sharpen your pencil & take some notes, there's a lot of really valuable information in a variety of threads right here that I wish I stumbled upon 6/mo ago saving me thousand$.

And if you haven't already, I suggest reading MJ's book. It's affordable, well-written, ez reading, enlightning book that'll make you look at getting to the top of the 'pyramid' from a whole different view point.

All the best,
Glenn

Patti

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Oct 13, 2016
Kingston, ON - Canada

Patti

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Oct 13, 2016
Kingston, ON - Canada
Patti - I'm a member of the JK forum & program. Don't know anything about their YT videos going down but I can tell you their 'Faceless' page is up and active as usual as is their members area.

I've plucked away at Lead Gen around my 70hr/wk j-o-b & it's a slow trudge an hour here an hour there. Hard to get any momentum when you're sleep-walking most of the time w/ bed head in a purple haze.

The JK course is expensive, yeah, but there is massive info, weekly conf calls, info frequently added in the program & a truckload of members who've turned their lives around following the program, and, after dumping their j-o-b replaced their incomes multiple times over.

I'm fairly new here a couple weeks ago, my 1st post actually, and from browsing around here on the Fastlane Forum there is also a massive amount of information from other successful lead gen marketing threads that you can read and apply. I very rarely post on forums, more of a 'fly-on-the-wall' guy I guess who'd rather watch/read things unfold from the shadows instead of being center stage, but when I read your post I wanted to acknowledge JK is fine.

Save yourself the money by just donating some of your time, sharpen your pencil & take some notes, there's a lot of really valuable information in a variety of threads right here that I wish I stumbled upon 6/mo ago saving me thousand$.

And if you haven't already, I suggest reading MJ's book. It's affordable, well-written, ez reading, enlightning book that'll make you look at getting to the top of the 'pyramid' from a whole different view point.

All the best,
Glenn
Thank you Glenn for your contribution to my thread! I really appreciate it. I am doing just want you've said, reading and absorbing what I can from this forum and research online. I loved Mj's book!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
There needs to be a test for everyone who's considering lead generation:
If you cannot bring a business 10 "leads" within 7 days, directly person to person, then you don't understand "lead generation" and shouldn't consider it your venture.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.