The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Rental property without owning.

Idea threads

Jbrow327

Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Dec 22, 2022
What do you guys think of renting out properties on airbnb using other people's properties? I know this violates some of CENTS. What I would do is rent a place for a month and then re rent it out at hotel rates to other people.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
What you're describing is called "subletting" and it's almost certainly against any short (or long!) term rental agreement you'd sign.

And even if it wasn't, what value would you bring to the table in this transaction?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
That's almost certainly not permitted under any short term rental agreement.

In a traditional subletting agreement (which is allowed in most places, to my knowledge) I also don't believe you are allowed to profit from the arrangement.

So from my non-expert understanding, it either wouldn't be allowed, wouldn't be legal, or wouldn't be profitable to do what you're hoping to do.

wanttogofaster

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Sep 2, 2019
I've come across a few supposedly doing it.

I don't see why not if the property owner does not mind signing a lease allowing the person or company to sublet the property.

I would assume that they could add clauses requiring the "tenant" to fix anything damaged/broken by the guests.

Also, I would assume that they charge said individual or company a higher rent than they would charge, lets say, a family, knowing that they will be making money subletting the property.

As far as I know, there's absolutely no law prohibiting a property owner to do this. It may not be allowed by some cities/HOAs though, as in many places permits are now required to operate.

Where I live, it is now next to impossible to get a STR permit. And the properties that do have the permit are being sold for a lot more than if they were owner occupied or a long term rental.

To make matters worse, I recently read that whoever buys one of them will need to reapply for a STR permit, so if they are denied for any reason, they are stuck with an expensive property they can only rent for little money as a long term rental.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.