The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Rent A Toy, Web-based

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Just read this and was coming to post it. I think she could turn a profit. Good idea, im sure with the PR she is doing she can reach out to more customers.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
It must suck to have an article posted about your business and then...

your site goes...

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
Additionally, a 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Lesson learned, if you give interviews to reporters, find out when and if that article will be published. If you're not sure or they aren't sure (depending on the media outlet) I would prepare for some traffic anyway.

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
I like the idea. But she has issues to work out. Starting with her website. She spent $250K to buy toys, but appears to have went with some some cheap $5.99 a month hosting.

Due to overwhelming traffic, the BabyPlays site is experiencing some problems loading. We are geared up to serve your toy rental needs and look forward to having you as a member. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope that you will visit us again soon. Maintenance on our site will be complete by Wednesday, February 13, 2008.

No excuse for that. That's days aways

Germs and disease are going to become a bigger problem as business grows. Do you really want you kid sucking on some toys that another kid across the country who has TB and Chicken Pox just got done chewing on? Also I would not want my kid chewing on some toy that has Clorox all over it any more than some Chicken Pox infested kid's spit. She's going to need to find a "safe & non toxic" cleaner. Also she's pictured holding some soft puppet thingy. How you do clean such an item? You can't really.

Kid who are put in daycare I think are required to have proof they have had their shots to prevent these problems. With this idea, it's daycare without the proof of the shots. It will be a germ fest I think.

If I had kids I would never subscribe to this. Lead paint toys would be the least of your worries.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
This lady and her story was on Headline News today. The website was not working for me earlier. It's working now, but it's slow for me and most of the images are not loading.

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
I have been thinking about this business.

Those toys are not small, shipping must be very expensive. I don't see how she can ship four toys, and also pay return shipping for less than $29.00. On top of that, she has to cover all her other expenses such as rent, employees, etc.

There's got to be a catch. I'm thinking she hammers you with some expensive charges for keeping the toys too long, damage, or something.

I notice you have to use UPS, which is more expensive for Baby Plays than USPS and not as convenient for the customer either. Everyone has access to a Post Office or postal worker. Not everyone has easy access to a UPS store.

Similar to how Blockbuster hammers you with late fees. If you keep it too long you have to "buy it".

This Baby Plays site has to have a similar trick up their sleeve. I think they are counting on people being lazy. If you get lazy, you get hammered with fees. That's where the real money comes from.

That's my opinion.

Thoughts?

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
Hawaiian Airlines is trying to contact hundreds of passengers today because some lady brought her Measles infected child on the plane and exposed hundreds of people.

This is EXACTLY why I would not rent from Baby Plays.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I've got twins too, and the clutter can be a nightmare. We probably give a few thousand in toys and clothes to charity each year.

The major probs I see are germs. I wouldn't use the service, because I wouldn't want to expose my kids to new & exciting germs. They get exposed to enough at daycare and pre-school -- Much less from playing with other kids toys from halfway across the country.

- Hakrjak

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
there are sterilizing machines to clean toys. you can buy mini ones at babies are us. I am sure the toys are clean.

I havent checked the website yet I am going to when I am done with this post. I just wanted to put that out there, toys can be cleaned and lots and lots* of people get toys from thrift stores or hand me downs or out of the trash. how is this any different???

after I check out the site I will post more thoughts.

*lots and lots doesnt mean everyone just because you wouldnt do it obviously doesnt mean noone will.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
ok I just read thru the site.

she doesnt use the sanitizer things. she uses clorox wipes. I would find that perfectly acceptable for my kids. Ive gotten things from other people as well and bought used things at garage sales and such and never thought twice about them being harmed or catching tb after cleaning it myself.

I think it is a great idea and I dont give it too long before she has some major competition.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.