The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Rejection Thread

Anything related to matters of the mind

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Would like to start a thread that I think is critical to entrepreneurship. Would appreciate any comments on the topic of rejection.

What goes through your mind when a potential customer says NO?
How do recover when you get shot down?
What are your thoughts on rejection?
Any mindset tips or tricks on dealing with rejection?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Sales funnel.

10% always say yes, they need and are looking for your service.
10% always say no, they do not need your service.
80% are up for grabs, they don't know if they need your service.

It's a spectrum, you deal with it.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
So its the law of averages and that's how you move past it.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
So its the law of averages and that's how you move past it.

Precisely.

If it's an issue for you, like it was for me, go get a job doing door-to-door.

If you want to completely eradicate any hesitancy regarding people, social-awkwardness and learn how to lead and selling anything to anyone, its the way to go.

Long hours on your feet, but damn, best job I ever took.

I've seen People that told me "get the F*ck off my property" had me in their living room cooking me dinner, you learn to do that.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly

I have a new approach to all of this entrepreneurship crap. Put myself in the positon for people to say no to me. If someone says no then it means I'm trying. I accomplished more in the last two days because I put myself in a position to be rejected. I just got a speaking engagement somewhere which will provide my site with the potential for a huge flow of traffic. I just got into the door to give a presentation a to a huge early adopter in my field. I just landed a deal that will pay my site good money. All because I put myself in the position to be rejected. And if someone does reject, then put yourself in the position to be rejected again. If your lead doesn't have the money to do business with you, then get them the damn money. Some people only allow themselves to be rejected once....

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
If it's an issue for you, like it was for me, go get a job doing door-to-door.

Not really an issue for me anymore, it used to be though. I wanted to start a thread because I have found this is radically important and fascinating element of entrepreneurs. Plus its a mindset thing. I want to hear what peoples thoughts and methods are on it.

JasonC

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 9, 2013
What are your thoughts on rejection?
Any mindset tips or tricks on dealing with rejection?

There is no rejection. It is not a rejection of you nor your offer, but simply an objection which must be handled tactfully. The objection is simply a test of your flexibility and your ability to not get seduced into their 'lie' as best you can.

Unfortunately, there is a tendency for many people to take things very personally. It's like an automatic habit and it's easy to assume this is just who we are and the way things will be which is totally not true. We don't ever have to assume our personalities are fixed. If you are afraid that is going to happen, then you must do whatever it takes to remove that tendency which is rooted in fear.

It can be removed quickly, but I suggest you use some mental techniques that will effectively clear it out of your life. You can use NLP, EFT, Sedona method, meditation, hypnosis, etc to deal with it. All of these work to some level depending on who is facilitating the change.

Once you remove this habitual tendency driven by fear, your perspective will literally change and it won't feel like getting 'shot down' (as if you're in a war getting hit). It can literally feel insignificant like if you ask a friend, "hey do you want to eat this?" and when they say "No" it doesn't phase you. That is totally possible because you are in a position where you can detach yourself from the outcome and all of the methods I shared above can help you do precisely that.

I would also consider rejection therapy as it forces people to face rejection consistently to the point where it feels less significant over time:

http://rejectiontherapy.com/

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
I have a new approach to all of this entrepreneurship crap. Put myself in the positon for people to say no to me. If someone says no then it means I'm trying. I accomplished more in the last two days because I put myself in a position to be rejected. I just got a speaking engagement somewhere which will provide my site with the potential for a huge flow of traffic. I just got into the door to give a presentation a to a huge early adopter in my field. I just landed a deal that will pay my site good money. All because I put myself in the position to be rejected. And if someone does reject, then put yourself in the position to be rejected again. If your lead doesn't have the money to do business with you, then get them the damn money. Some people only allow themselves to be rejected once....

Awesome JonhP.

I have a new approach to all of this entrepreneurship crap. Put myself in the positon for people to say no to me. If someone says no then it means I'm trying.

I like your style :thumbsup:

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
Why take it personally?

You have probably:
- Not communicated benefits properly
- Not offered it to the correct person/people/company
- Not offered a good product

If you have something that is of value to someone else, they will be interested. What does it have to do with who you are as a person? Have I misunderstood your question?

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
I find this fascinating on many levels. For example, its is said that Howard Schultz went to over 240 banks before he got money. Its like when is the cutoff. This happens with so many entrepreneurs. If he just went to 200 banks and quit maybe we wouldn't have had Starbucks. Most "rational" people wouldnt have made it to say 50.

http://www.livelifehappy.com/if-howard-schultz-gave-up-after-being-turned-down/

Vic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 3, 2012
Having done cold calling store to store, I can only tell you that it just gets easier with time. Also when you close a sale, it's a great high so that keeps you going.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Having done cold calling store to store, I can only tell you that it just gets easier with time. Also when you close a sale, it's a great high so that keeps you going.

How did you feel the first few weeks? How did you move past the NO's?

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
How did you feel the first few weeks? How did you move past the NO's?

As someone who has worn--and continues to wear--these shoes, I can say you have to numb (or desensitize) yourself of the rejection through repetition. In other words, move on and keep making contacts.

Sometimes we analyze and reflect on the rejections and spend too much mental energy reacting to rather than responding to them. You cannot be taught not to do this. You have to practice.

On a day when I was set to make 100 calls, I would be direct with the prospect in finding a need for what I was selling. If they gave me a legitimate reason for their rejection, I would move on and immediately think about the next call rather than reacting to the previous one. It takes practice.

The worst that can happen when someone says "no" is you remain in the same position you were in before calling them. This frees you to change that by calling someone new.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Honestly, I think silverhawk's spectrum has some substance to it.

A few months back I sent out 17 sales letters. Got one response that was 'Please contact me back' (meaning maybe), and one response saying 'PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT ME EVER AGAIN OR I WILL REPORT YOU' (in all caps, too). The rest? No response back.

It's barely a reflection on your service or even your sales copy. It's just how people are.

brob742

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Great thread.

Outside of thinking about rejections in the sales sense...I always love the quotes that talk about how the most important thing to do is to fail and fail fast. If you're facing rejection or failing, you are learning. If you are learning, you are progressing. If you're progressing you will face less rejection and be more successful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.