The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Regrets of the dying

Anybid

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 13, 2009
Switzerland
I just came across this article about the different regrets that people have at the end of their lives:

Inspiration and Chai

Of course I don't want to spoil anybody's mood by bringing this up, but I think it just shows how important the three F's are. And maybe we could add a fourth F: FUN. We should never forget to have some fun along the way too ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Speed + +

I read a similar piece years ago.

That night, I asked myself a question:

When I'm looking back at my life,

•What will I regret NOT doing?

and

•What will I regret spending/wasting too much time on?

Everyone will have a different list.

My top items:

Regret NOT doing #1: I had not been in a successful long-term love relationship. I regretted that.

Regretted doing #1: Watching too much TV

The following day, I cut my cable (literally-- I went outside and cut it).

That same day, I started to think about what I was doing w/my life to prevent a long term successful relationship.

AND-- what I needed to do to have one.

That was 16 years ago.

Today, I've been in a successful long-term relationship for 10 years. We have a lovely 4 1/2 year old, and want to have more.

And we don't have any TV in our house.

Movies and computer/net access, yes.

But no cable or satellite.

Thanks again for the article.

A core part of dying well is having lived well.

Ask yourself those questions today.

And see what you'd change-- today-- to make your life-- and death--have more meaning.

-Russ H.

wallstreet

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 17, 2010
Nice post. I've always lived as they suggested so you can assume I wasn't the most popular kid growing up but it was and still is a fun life.

Anybid

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 13, 2009
Switzerland
A core part of dying well is having lived well.

Well said, Russ H!!! I guess that's what it all comes down to.

Thanks for your story. Now that's what I call resolve: you basically exchanged your TV for a loving wife. Sounds to me like the perfect deal. From my experience, women are just so much more entertaining and exciting than even the best TV-program (at least most of the time...;)).

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
From my experience, women are just so much more entertaining and exciting than even the best TV-program

Agreed lol.

What will I regret not doing?
--Going out with friends, partying, etc and Im 18

Regret doing?
--Learned about investing at young age (18) and now Im a millionaire, sleep late, party and I have my Lambo and I never have to worry about work again at age 21, while others work.

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
Regret not doing: having kids - make a note of actively pursuing this.

Regret doing: wasting too much time on the internet unproductively. I should really limit internet usage just to my businesses - it's a tool not entertainment. If I want entertainment I need to start entering boat racing competitions again and get my bike out on the track more frequently.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 9, 2018
This thread is old circa 2011 (and most of these forum members are not here anymore) but I typed in Regrets of Dying and it lead me here.

• After reading this today:

The Benefits of Unplugging. And Choosing to be Present.

UNPLUG! ...as I post this from a computer :happy:

• Which brought me to this blog about regrets of dying (the other link was broken from 2011 so here is an update anyway).

https://bronnieware.com/blog/regrets-of-the-dying/

Summary:
When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently, common themes surfaced again and again. Here are the most common five:

1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
2. I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.
3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

But the GOLD is in the details and some of the information people shared...example #2 first paragraph, last sentence.

All rights of the summary and (1-5) belong to Bronnie Ware and can be viewed on her blog.

EDIT: typo/bold

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.