• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

Redefining the Wine Industry

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by JScott, Sep 12, 2007.

1. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $43,922
    A good example of what "being true to yourself" can bring to an entrepeneur...

You may not like Fred's attitude (or maybe you will), but he's proven that bucking the trends that successful competition has defined can allow you to revolutionize an industry:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/05/news/companies/Two_Buck_Chuck.biz2/index.htm?postversion=2007090703

Even as a Silicon Valley wine "snob" (not really a snob, but I appreciate a good bottle wine), I love this guy...if nothing else, he'll hopefully get higher-priced competitors to lower their prices, and help me get my favorite wines somewhat cheaper...

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  2. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $365,567
    Admin Post
    "Sniff it and smell it and taste the inner body," he says, scoffing. "They're trying to confuse the consumer. You either like it or you don't like it. You shouldn't make them feel like second-class citizens. I love to sell something you don't have to give an excuse for."

Great article ... speed++

3. JesseO

JesseO Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $97
    That was a good read, thanks for posting it.

4. nomadjanet

nomadjanet Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $182
    The article is great, give people what they want and don’t be a snob about it.
    I was on a flight recently, the person next to me was a Dentist from Napa, and she ordered red wine from the flight attendant and made a face when presented with the tiny bottle. It was not as fine as she expected (what from an airline you don’t get fine wine?). She asked me what I thought about that type of wine. My answer was straight forward; I don’t have a taste for table wine my taste runs to sweet drinks. She proceeded to give me a lecture on wine and how an educated palate would appreciate certain things. She was from Napa and had tried many very expensive wines and I should expand my wine knowledge. She was a dentist & her husband was an artist & a professor & they are both so educated, yada; yada; yada...
    I could live in Napa for a decade and attend a hundred wine tasting & I would still like Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot better than the “full bodied fruity but dry wine†other people like. I can stomach a glass of White Zine if I have no other choice but if I want sour bitter stuff I would rather have a margarita.

5. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $57
    Trust me - My wife & I drink $2 Chuck all the time - it is a great wine..............
    Stop in Trader Joe's; you won't be disappointed.
    Kevin S.
    Orchard Park, NY

6. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $57
    I forgot to mention one minor detail; my wife's family owns a vineyard in Germany, so I am pretty familiar with wine..........

7. michael515

michael515 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $302
    I used to wait tables at restaurants who sold $550 Bordeaux's - insane IMO...

Excellent case study about Yellow Tail Wine in the book Blue Ocean Strategy. Found out what the customer wanted value wise and made a big leap in the industry. Great book by the way!

8. michael515

michael515 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $302
    :thumbsup: Wine is sooo subjective. I've tried many very nice wines and I think the differences can be so subtle between low/mid and super high range that you'd really need a sophisticated palate to taste the difference.

I find Beer is much different. Belguim Strong Ale's :eusa_clap:. Flavor wise, not at all like Miller Lite :smx8: (In my humble opinion). One of my favorite beer's is $16 a 4 pack and only availiabe for 1 month a year.

9. Russ H

Russ H Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,285
    Ah, a subject near and dear to my heart . . .

My first wine mentor told me something I've lived by ever since:

"There is no such thing as "good wine" or "bad wine". There are only 2 kinds of wines: Wines you like, and wines you don't care for."

Great advice.

I *do* live in the Napa Valley b/c I love wine. I love the valley during harvest, when you can actually *smell* the grapes fermenting in the wineries as you drive along the highway.

And I love the look of the vines, esp. now, as the leaves are changing color.

Janet's comments recall a great discussion I had one time w/friends about how I liked Arbor Mist w/all kinds of food. They did too-- but since I lived in Napa (I was visiting them in Florida at the time), they were too embarrassed to admit it!

Needless to say, we enjoyed a few bottles of Arbor Mist, with some great conversation. :)

-Russ H.

10. LightHouse

LightHouse Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $29,383

Very good book as well!

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.