• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

OFF-TOPIC Recommendation For Coding/Wordpress Forums

Discussion in 'Off Topic: Sports, Funnies, Pop-Culture' started by Mr.Rob, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Mr.Rob

Mr.Rob Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $241
    Hey Fastlaners,

I'm running into some issues in creating a wordpress website for my business and wanted to see if anyone has a good forum they'd recommend for total beginners in the field of Wordpress development.

I'm in the process of optimizing my site for SEO but I'm having trouble getting the bugs slowing down my site speed figured out... This whole tech/coding world is totally above my head atm.

Maybe you guys/gals have a recommendation for a good resource/forum to get some answers to all this?

Thanks,
    -Rob

2. pawon

pawon New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $6
    If you have specific errors - copy paste them in google. You will probably end up on stackexchange.com

Or, you can browse the Wordpress department of their site: WordPress Development Stack Exchange

Do you have any specific problems showing up? Or you just want to speed up the site?

3. James Gill

James Gill Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $292
    wpbeginner.com

4. Mr.Rob

Mr.Rob Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $241
    Hey thanks for the reply guys.

@James Gill - Ya I use them quite a bit but still a few unanswered questions from time to time. Thanks tho.

@pawon - good resources there, cheers for that. Basically I'm trying to get my site to rank on pingdom/googlepagespeed/GTMetrix tests to load in less than 2 seconds (or ideally less than 1 second) to be best optimized for SEO.

I'm basically just going down the checklist one by one of the errors these tests are giving me.

Yesterday I tackled the 2 highest ranked errors on Pingdom (1. Use a CDN and 2. Compress files via GZIP). For #1 I got a free Cloudflare account and did the best optimizations recommended AND I also added some code to my .htaccess file to compress files via Gzip).

I did both those things, cleared my cache, and a day later Pingdom still tells me that those are still both the 2 highest errors and the speed hasn't changed a bit :/

Did I do those things wrong or something? Like wtf it was pretty straightforward lol.

Another question... When researching various backend fixes that require code I find that each blog article you read on say for example setting up Gzip compression has a different code to use for the same exact task/function... Why is this? It would seem like there would be only one code that achieves the task but you go on 5 articles and get 5 different codes to copy/paste that claim to achieve the same thing.

How to know which one is the right one to use?

Thanks for any input.

5. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,184
    It astounds me that people are so concerned with speed. I just finished two WP sites and I concentrated on AWESOME content. When someone comes to my site, I want them to have a "Welcome to Disneyland" experience. I want awe.

I'm not selling burgers through a drive through.

I do very impressive one on one direct marketing to get them there. I'm following that up soon with targeted Facebook ads. I rely on recommendations heavily. They want good - they're going to wait an extra 4 seconds for my site to load. That's the breaks! They don't like it - fine - I don't like people that are too busy to wait 4 seconds.

6. rogue synthetic

rogue synthetic * Not actually Rutger Hauer Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,532
    Hey @Mr.Rob

Two quick questions for you:

1. Who is your hosting company?

2. Are you using Apache or Nginx?

If you can't answer one or both, that's fine.

If you've got shell access with your hosting account I can walk you through some changes to make your WP site blaze. If not, it's a little tougher to milk the real speed without a terminal, but I might be able to navigate you through some tweaks.

Let me know and we'll see what you can do. If you don't mind sharing, can you either post your results or list your site so I can go check it out? (It's understandable if you're not comfortable sharing.)

jon.M likes this.
  7. Mr.Rob

Mr.Rob Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $241
    Real Deal, Ya I agree I think preoccupation with 2 seconds here or there is kinda stupid but since its SEO I'm working on and Google prefers sites that load in 2 seconds or less that is why I'm working on my site speed... if you have some references that show Google actually doesn't care about that I'm definitely open to checking them out.

@rogue synthetic - Hey man, thanks for the offer to help.

1. My hosting company is Blue Host

2. I'm pretty positive Blue Host uses Apache although when I check either through a server check tool or by inspecting the network they both say Cloudflare... so idk for sure.

I just PM'ed you my Pingdom results, so maybe we can go into detail there a bit more!

-Rob

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.