The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

RE Tax question for Diane

Taxes and regulation

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Hi Diane. I have 2 things. Thanks for having tax loopholes. I have been working with Jim and he has pointed me in RE directions I hadn't thought of. Thanks again.

Question: I bought a bank REO MFH for investment/rentals. One of the first things I had to do was to completely replace the roof to make the structure inhabitable. Would I be able to take a full write off for the cost of the roof since it was part of the reconstruction or would I have to depreciate it? If I can write it off would I need any special documentation to substantiate my claim?

Thanks for your help.

Greg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Hi Diane. I have 2 things. Thanks for having tax loopholes. I have been working with Jim and he has pointed me in RE directions I hadn't thought of. Thanks again.

Question: I bought a bank REO MFH for investment/rentals. One of the first things I had to do was to completely replace the roof to make the structure inhabitable. Would I be able to take a full write off for the cost of the roof since it was part of the reconstruction or would I have to depreciate it? If I can write it off would I need any special documentation to substantiate my claim?

Thanks for your help.

Greg

You've asked a good question on the roof. Ten years ago I'd have told you that you absolutely had to depreciate it. But, we had a court case in CA a few years ago that changed everything.

In this case, a large commercial building had to completely replace their roof. The cost was about $80,000 (this is from memory, I don't remember the exact amount, just that it was significant). The company took it as a repair expense, the IRS said "no" and the company took it to tax court. The company won! The court decision stated that it was an expense (not a capitalizable asset) because it was necessary to keep the tenant.

It's an unusual ruling because there is nothing else quite like it. It would be tricky to rely on it. If I did, I'd (1) make sure I was in the same district (district 9), (2) make sure I had a tenant and document that they said they'd leave if I didn't fix the roof and (3) disclose that I'd taken that position on a footnote to the tax return.

Personally, I wouldn't take it. But, that's because I'm a CPA and I would worry about taking such a strong position and losing...and how that impact my clients (ie, cause an audit for them).

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Thanks Diane. This particular roof cost me $9000. If it is going to cause me to have to go to war with the IRS I am not sure the benefit would be worth it. I may win the battle but lose the war. Thanks again.

Greg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.