The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Rant/advice on family members and business.

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
So why is it that you can get more advice and help from strangers in business than wealthy family members, not necessarily parents? Is it the old adage that they don't want you to outshine them? I have several wealthy family members, close cousins etc., not parents, and I have received more contacts and business advice from total strangers, that I have built rapport with, than I ever did from them. I moved on to other mentors years ago but it is a little puzzling. You think family is there to help, but in business I have not found it to be the case. Also, family will screw you over before others will, seems contradictory but I have seen it many times; they somehow feel that they can get away with bullsh*t somehow.

*I advise people to never do business with friends or family, unless maybe they are your parents, you probably wont get anywhere. What you are looking for is to make contacts with who they do business with. Look for friends of family and friends of friends, your really two degrees separated in this regard. Just my two cents.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Might have to do with perceived social hierarchies. In the family unit, they perceive themselves as holding a higher stature/status and to help you would endanger that status. This would make a good sociology study.

*I advise people to never do business with friends or family, unless maybe they are your parents, you probably wont get anywhere. What you are looking for is to make contacts with who they do business with. Look for friends of family and friends of friends, your really two degrees separated in this regard. Just my two cents.

Ditto.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
They already have preconceived notions about who you are in their heads. For example, my close family is very supportive of my ventures, but my extended family, not so much. My younger brother is a very talented musician and my extended family views him with animosity because my cousins are just normal kids with normal talents (much like myself).
I think that there is a social hierarchy, like MJ said. Families are together forever and therefore, people are compared over lifetimes, not just over the few years that someone might know someone else. You might say that the stakes are higher because the perceived impact of success is greater in the family unit. That's just my two cents.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.