The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hat95

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 15, 2017
USA
Hello everyone. I'm currently a web developer and started designing around 7 years ago(took a web design class in HS and followed up with it on and off).

I've been browsing this site for a few weeks and taken alot of notes. This site has allowed me to realize I've been lying to myself the whole time. I buy entrepreneurship books but never read them, have ideas and never execute them and hate my job but still show up there everyday and complain about it but never execute. I've started holding myself accountable. I'm currently half way through @MJ DeMarco book and in the process of starting my own web design agency.

I read through @Fox web design thread and it inspired me to take my passion/knowledge and apply it elsewhere. I will be quitting my job in a few months and to make sure I don't back out I wrote it down and I'm now creating this thread to hold myself accountable.

I don't have a car note/sports car or alot of bills apart from my phone bill and my car insurance which aren't that high since I decided to fix/repair my car myself because I'd rather do that than buying a new car and having a car note. I've always wanted to be an entrepreneur so I tried to minimize my bills so I have more time for my ideas.

Even though I will be quitting I want it to be done on my own, so I won't sit at home expecting my parents to pay for anything after I quit. I'll save and pay my bills the same way I worked and paid for college myself.

I'd rather be hungry and fail 1000 times aiming for the stars than to be rich in a slow lane job full of uncertainties. The journey begins here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Dude welcome!

Good for you. I felt the exact same way. I left behind an oil job, huge truck and any kind of safety net because I also "rather be hungry" and make my own way. Glad you found the forum and for sure finish the book.

Try land your first client before you quit as it will take a lot of pressure off you. Three months is definitely enough to get the basics down and to be selling smaller websites. Keep reading the gold threads on here and learning everything you can (while you put it into use). It takes time but you are super young and off to a great start. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Hat95

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 15, 2017
USA
Dude welcome!

Good for you. I felt the exact same way. I left behind an oil job, huge truck and any kind of safety net because I also "rather be hungry" and make my own way. Glad you found the forum and for sure finish the book.

Try land your first client before you quit as it will take a lot of pressure off you. Three months is definitely enough to get the basics down and to be selling smaller websites. Keep reading the gold threads on here and learning everything you can (while you put it into use). It takes time but you are super young and off to a great start. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Thanks @Fox for the tips, they means a lot. I'm currently at page 22 in your thread and still need to catch up on a few more. I had 2 clients in the past but I wasn't taking it seriously and let them fall through :(. I also aim to have a few couple clients before I leave including a paid gig. Now I've decided to take the first step. I've always been very indecisive and that'll change now. I will be following through with my decision to start a web design agency.

I only got 5 hours of sleep last night(convincing myself that I was up working when I was really procrastinating). I was suppose to gather a list of atleast 20 people to call but I didn't. I was going to put it off but I didnt let sleep win. I went to bed at 3, woke up at 8 and made my first cold call. I'm from the Caribbean and have a small accent and have been using that as an excuse. Today I realized there's a difference between being unable to do something and not wanting to do it.

I didn't stutter, was very clear and also not nervous surprisingly. I guess sometimes you need something like a job you hate to push you out of your comfort zone. I called a construction company and asked to speak with someone in regards to their website. They said the IT director isn't in(surprised they actually had an IT director since the site looked so outdated) and requested I send my request through their site. I'll be sure to do that and follow up after a few days. I also still need to work on my cold calling script and be sure to say who I am, what I offer and how to bring value instead of just being someone that just calls. Still a long way to go but at least now I got off my a$$ lol.

My first priority when calling was to make sure I sounded casual and not like I'm selling something which seemed to have worked but I've failed in many other areas. Time to get to work.

Will post everything that happens from now on to hold myself accountable.

Hat95

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 15, 2017
USA
Lol so pretty urgent issue, is there anyway to change my name? Someone from work found my alias lol.

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
Lol so pretty urgent issue, is there anyway to change my name? Someone from work found my alias lol.

I believe once it's set then it's set. But they may make an exception for you (or just make a new account?).

Edit: Disregard the making a new account, I thought maybe you could be an exception but I also don't think your reasoning is fair. The damage is already done, your coworker already knows.

Last edited:

Hat95

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 15, 2017
USA
I believe once it's set then it's set. But they may make an exception for you (or just make a new account?).
I can make a new account but this post would still be shown and linked to this account.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I can make a new account but this post would still be shown and linked to this account.

Don't start a new account, that will get you banned. People (including me) don't like to post and then have that person delete the content you spent time responding to. Contact an admin and they will help @Andy Black @Vigilante.

Also who cares about someone at work knowing about this. Focus on yourself and don't worry about others.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

If you are worried about people seeing what you post, you are posting the wrong things.
If you are worried you'll be made fun of for posting the right things, you are hanging around the wrong people.

Very few people in my life know about this account I have here, but it's also not a secret either. If someone found out about it I would not be ashamed of any of my thousands of replies on here.

I *DO* have things I post which I don't want to be publicly available (for business reasons), which is why I have an INSIDERS membership which requires payment to access that section of this site. Again - not secret, but good practice to keep off the search engines.

Hat95

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 15, 2017
USA
Don't start a new account, that will get you banned. People (including me) don't like to post and then have that person delete the content you spent time responding to. Contact an admin and they will help @Andy Black @Vigilante.

Also who cares about someone at work knowing about this. Focus on yourself and don't worry about others.

If you are worried about people seeing what you post, you are posting the wrong things.
If you are worried you'll be made fun of for posting the right things, you are hanging around the wrong people.

Very few people in my life know about this account I have here, but it's also not a secret either. If someone found out about it I would not be ashamed of any of my thousands of replies on here.

I *DO* have things I post which I don't want to be publicly available (for business reasons), which is why I have an INSIDERS membership which requires payment to access that section of this site. Again - not secret, but good practice to keep off the search engines.
Thanks for the replies guys. I'd never delete this because I know people take time to reply like you said. I contacted admin but I know they have a busy life so I'm not really worried about it too much. Now I got a little extra motivation just I gotta be sure I follow through lol.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

@MJ DeMarco

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Thanks @Fox for the tips, they means a lot. I'm currently at page 22 in your thread and still need to catch up on a few more. I had 2 clients in the past but I wasn't taking it seriously and let them fall through :(. I also aim to have a few couple clients before I leave including a paid gig. Now I've decided to take the first step. I've always been very indecisive and that'll change now. I will be following through with my decision to start a web design agency.

I only got 5 hours of sleep last night(convincing myself that I was up working when I was really procrastinating). I was suppose to gather a list of atleast 20 people to call but I didn't. I was going to put it off but I didnt let sleep win. I went to bed at 3, woke up at 8 and made my first cold call. I'm from the Caribbean and have a small accent and have been using that as an excuse. Today I realized there's a difference between being unable to do something and not wanting to do it.

I didn't stutter, was very clear and also not nervous surprisingly. I guess sometimes you need something like a job you hate to push you out of your comfort zone. I called a construction company and asked to speak with someone in regards to their website. They said the IT director isn't in(surprised they actually had an IT director since the site looked so outdated) and requested I send my request through their site. I'll be sure to do that and follow up after a few days. I also still need to work on my cold calling script and be sure to say who I am, what I offer and how to bring value instead of just being someone that just calls. Still a long way to go but at least now I got off my a$$ lol.

My first priority when calling was to make sure I sounded casual and not like I'm selling something which seemed to have worked but I've failed in many other areas. Time to get to work.

Will post everything that happens from now on to hold myself accountable.

Which island are you on? I would take a walk around and see what businesses you could go meet in person. Maybe some tourism based service or something that is quite busy at the moment. Find one that has a terrible website and pitch a cheap but great (and simple) solution. Don't worry about the money for now - just get going with someone you can help and get results for. If you can do that just once you will learn a LOT and also make all future sales calls multiple times easier.

Hat95

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 15, 2017
USA
Which island are you on? I would take a walk around and see what businesses you could go meet in person. Maybe some tourism based service or something that is quite busy at the moment. Find one that has a terrible website and pitch a cheap but great (and simple) solution. Don't worry about the money for now - just get going with someone you can help and get results for. If you can do that just once you will learn a LOT and also make all future sales calls multiple times easier.
I'm originally from there and moved to the GA, US a few years ago but I still have a small accent. I took your advice from your thread and I'm currently scouting out a few people to do free sites for to build my portfolio and then start charging after. I use the high ranking sites with bad design and an outdated footer as a priority. I'm an hour from atlanta so I know there are people out there, Just gotta find them.
Between sending cold emails, calling on the phone and meeting in person I can't imagine any possible way to fail :). Does appearance matter when meeting a possible client?

Also thanks @MJ DeMarco for the name change, know you're a busy man and sorry to give you an extra task.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.