The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • NOTICE! The forum software is currently being upgraded. During this time, the forum may have intermittent downtime, specific functions may not be available, and/or the user interface may look different.

EXECUTION Quit Job - Local Business Journey Begins

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

Runner21

New Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Hey Everyone!

Quick Background

I have always been an entrepreneur and have done many side hussles and projects that have led to moderate success. I started like most of you, searching for a way out the rat race by watching informercials, business books and magazines, real estate investing, day trading, online marketing and anything else you can think of. After spending most of my late teens grasping at the next shiny opportunity, I began to fall in love with affiliate marketing and online marketing in general. For those who have been in the space for a long time, I was really intrigued by programs like rich jerk and others and started learning as much as I could about affiliate marketing.

I created sites in an effort to make affiliate money that failed and were of little interest to me personally. I had my first success with an affiliate site and making a few hundred dollars a month from a site without doing anything was the best feeling ever! I sold that site and felt on top of the world and my girlfriend finally understood I wasn't some mad man hammering away at the keyboard at 2am in the morning for nothing.

Any who, I have went on sell multiple sites and although they have given me great money, I never had quit my job money. At my day job, I work as a growth marketer and have been for 8 years. I have just sold my biggest site thus far and have decided to use those funds to start a local business and quit my day job. I have hated my job for some time due to the structure and we wanting to always be my own damn boss.

The sale will be enough to support my now wife and two kids and I for 2 years and allow me to invest in this new business. I also have income from other websites I still own but is very little to rely on.

The goal, is to start a local business I feel I can scale with my expertise in marketing and my new found skillset. Some may think I'm crazy but I realized I can always get anothre job worst case so with the wife's permission, I'm jumping!

I believe there is so much opportunity in local business opportunities and have found the industry I want to go after. I will be keeping the exact industry a secret for now, but will reveal it later down the road. The business services automobiles, residential and commercial clients and have great margins. Most local businesses operate as sole propiertors and the market is very segmented and ancient. I'll be looking to bringing the booking process and the service itself into the twentieth century.

I believe in moving fast, so I wont be getting a developer to waste my money and countless hours coding out the perfect booking experience, I'll be using tools I already know and launching as fast as I can.

The issue is the skillset to do the work was needed and Instead of hiring others, I have just finished two hands-on (week long) local courses that have taught me. I have practiced quite a bit and now I am confident I can do what I set out to do.

Today is my last day at having a job! I'm excited and scared at the same time but I am so ready for this journey and the challenges that come.

My goal is to update this thread weekly with my progress and updates and serve as a case study for not success or failure, but going through the process and sticking to it.

Business:
Local Biz

Commandments:
Time: Initial time will need to be invested to set up systems and standards, but the job tasks will be able to be handled my employees.
Scale: Service will be mobile based and will allow for scale to occur.
Need: This is a need based service that focuses on comfort, protection and health
Entry: Learning the skillset isn't the easiest, but can be learned within a month of consistent work
Control: The business is not a middle man and has full control

TASKS WORKING:
Getting website completed
Finalizing pricing model
Business formulation and permits. Bonded and insured.
Practice

Launch Date
October 28th

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Alpine, UT
Congrats on multiple sales and I like the strategy you outlined thus far, as vague as it might be.

Welcome to the forum, hope to see you update the thread.

Mhesh

Contributor
Sep 11, 2021
Hey Everyone!

Quick Background

I have always been an entrepreneur and have done many side hussles and projects that have led to moderate success. I started like most of you, searching for a way out the rat race by watching informercials, business books and magazines, real estate investing, day trading, online marketing and anything else you can think of. After spending most of my late teens grasping at the next shiny opportunity, I began to fall in love with affiliate marketing and online marketing in general. For those who have been in the space for a long time, I was really intrigued by programs like rich jerk and others and started learning as much as I could about affiliate marketing.

I created sites in an effort to make affiliate money that failed and were of little interest to me personally. I had my first success with an affiliate site and making a few hundred dollars a month from a site without doing anything was the best feeling ever! I sold that site and felt on top of the world and my girlfriend finally understood I wasn't some mad man hammering away at the keyboard at 2am in the morning for nothing.

Any who, I have went on sell multiple sites and although they have given me great money, I never had quit my job money. At my day job, I work as a growth marketer and have been for 8 years. I have just sold my biggest site thus far and have decided to use those funds to start a local business and quit my day job. I have hated my job for some time due to the structure and we wanting to always be my own damn boss.

The sale will be enough to support my now wife and two kids and I for 2 years and allow me to invest in this new business. I also have income from other websites I still own but is very little to rely on.

The goal, is to start a local business I feel I can scale with my expertise in marketing and my new found skillset. Some may think I'm crazy but I realized I can always get anothre job worst case so with the wife's permission, I'm jumping!

I believe there is so much opportunity in local business opportunities and have found the industry I want to go after. I will be keeping the exact industry a secret for now, but will reveal it later down the road. The business services automobiles, residential and commercial clients and have great margins. Most local businesses operate as sole propiertors and the market is very segmented and ancient. I'll be looking to bringing the booking process and the service itself into the twentieth century.

I believe in moving fast, so I wont be getting a developer to waste my money and countless hours coding out the perfect booking experience, I'll be using tools I already know and launching as fast as I can.

The issue is the skillset to do the work was needed and Instead of hiring others, I have just finished two hands-on (week long) local courses that have taught me. I have practiced quite a bit and now I am confident I can do what I set out to do.

Today is my last day at having a job! I'm excited and scared at the same time but I am so ready for this journey and the challenges that come.

My goal is to update this thread weekly with my progress and updates and serve as a case study for not success or failure, but going through the process and sticking to it.

Business:
Local Biz

Commandments:
Time: Initial time will need to be invested to set up systems and standards, but the job tasks will be able to be handled my employees.
Need: This is a need based service that focuses on comfort, protection and health
Entry: Learning the skillset isn't the easiest, but can be learned within a month of consistent work

TASKS WORKING:
Finalizing pricing model
Practice

Launch Date
October 28th
@Runner21
Congratulations seems you have figured out the system. You shouldn’t be scared you have the control and believe in yourself, you can do it. You will do it. Good luck

Runner21

New Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
MJ DeMarco" data-source="post: 966171" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Congrats on multiple sales and I like the strategy you outlined thus far, as vague as it might be.

Welcome to the forum, hope to see you update the thread.
Thanks so much! I am seriously thankful for coming across your book a few years ago and have read them all! Loved the story with the couple in your latest! Well done!

Rockeez

New Contributor
Apr 9, 2021
Hey Everyone!

Quick Background

Business:
Local Biz

Commandments:

TASKS WORKING:
Finalizing pricing model
Practice

Launch Date
October 28th
Congratulations fellow fastlaner. You will surely do well

WJK

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Being self-employed can be scary. Now that you don't have a job and that regular pay check, you must put on your big boy pants and hit it with all the guts you've got!

I know what it takes. I haven't had a "real job" in the last 45 years...

jazzdorf

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 7, 2021
Munich - Germany
Impressive! Congratulations for the past sales and your success!
I like your courage. Go for it! I'll read along out of curiosity and inspiration!

Thanks and success!

Runner21

New Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Update # 2

Worked on:
Set Up LLC (tin)- sundocfiling
Books are set up - quickbooks
Finalizing Insurance
Setup business phone line through openphone
Pricing - 90 percent complete

To seperate myself from the competition, customer will be able to book online instantly and see pricing online rather than them having to request a qoute online, me having to reply
to an email or call them with a quote. For the booking option, I will not be getting this developed but using a booking form platform called booking koala. I will be able to
accept credit cards, manage bookings, and send emails to customer from the platform.

Completed 2 jobs that brought in $425 by advertising on Craigslist. I have no website right now but wanted to get some jobs while
I worked on the site. Charged 175 for the first job and $250 for the second job. The customers both loved my work and it took 2.5 hours on the first
and about 3 on the second one.

I have been practicing a minimum of 3 hours a day on the trade and as much as 8 hours all day in my garage. I'm getting better and faster and my goal is
to be able to complete a full vehicle in 1.5 hours.

Things that are slowing me down:
- Finding a vehicle I can put a magnet sign on as a work van. Looking to purchase a Ford connect to keep it simple. Trying to avoid
spending too much time on things that wont matter to much or things that I can upgrade in the future.
- Getting just enough content on the site that doesnt look bare bones. I am believer of not reinventing the wheel, so I went to over 20 websites in the space
and picked what I like and didn't like. About 80 percent done on the content and the website!

Still set to launch on the 28th!

Next up:

Although I'm relatively new to the space, I have interned and have notice a few issues with a lack of systems being set up for businesses in the space. Customer onboarding
is cluttered and not easy for new customers, products are not explained in a basic manner during sales, and theres no followup with customers after the job has been done.

I know I can't forsee all issues but this is a good starting point and I'll be working to making sure from onboarding, customer service, and after the work is done process are
set up. So sales processes, paperwork, invoices, emails, text messages and phone call followup protocols will be the the focus. Want to make sure that our brand is setting the standard
that we are with you from the first time you contact us till after the job is performed.

Improving the installation process and time - Focused on quality above all but want to make sure that I'm effiecient in what I'm doing. I know this will come with time and more practice, so I'm not going to be to hard on myself. I'll be recording myself to see where I'm slow at and where I need to improve.

So far... Still scared but pushing forward!
Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments. It means so much : )

Runner21

New Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Being self-employed can be scary. Now that you don't have a job and that regular pay check, you must put on your big boy pants and hit it with all the guts you've got!

I know what it takes. I haven't had a "real job" in the last 45 years...
Thanks for this! Funny thing is when I saw I have to pay 1000 in healthcare for me and my family, I realized it was getting real lol! It definitely reinforces that Im responsible for everything and it's kind of liberating!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Thanks for this! Funny thing is when I saw I have to pay 1000 in healthcare for me and my family, I realized it was getting real lol! It definitely reinforces that Im responsible for everything and it's kind of liberating!
Reality strikes. My husband's major medical coverage is over $1,000 per month.

It sounds like you are doing well in your start-up phase. There's no easy way to do it other than keep on keeping on...

Runner21

New Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
UPDATE 3

Had to travel with the family to paticipate in the LA marathon! Didn't hit my goal 3:30 but manage to get 4:07. Not too bad considering I had a blister that was
kicking my a$$. Looking forward to my next one in March! This took a little time away from the business but nothing crazy. Even took a business call during the marathon lol

Back to business...

I was able to get insured.
Didn't have too much time to work on the site initially and I did not want to waste to much time, so I mocked up a draft and hosted a design contest on 99designs.
Just finialized the designs and the site design is being added to my wordpress now. Should be up in a couple of days. Hired someone over fiverr who I have used for
website designs on wordpress.

Added business google listing and added some information posts on there.
Added the businss to thumbstack (Willing to give it a try)
Created 4 different craigslist post templates (Getting ready to post them this week)
Yelp... I'm afraid to list on that damn site. Had successes in the past but just hate how people try to tear a good company down just because. I'll be adding it eventually.
Online booking process is completed and customer will be able to book the exact service they will want.
Finalized deal with Materials company and tried out there products and loved them.

6 jobs since I launched and that brought in $1,169 in revenue
- This has been all cash transactions that have happened through craigslist and 1 referral from one of my first customers through cragislist.

Also, finalizing a new for transit or dodge pro master vehicle. Looking in the ball park of 12 -20k. Will get a loan on it to reserve more cash on the front end.

Random thoughts:

I super super hard on myself and know I could have done more but just reminding myself to enjoy the process and learn. This has not been easy by any means. Son classmate had
covid and I had to spend time homeschooling.

Still trying to perfect in my installation process. Making a shit ton of mistakes, having to redo a lot, wasting material, but how the hell else am I going become good at this.
Definitely feel the pressure of taking care of the family but my wife understands the entrepreneurship journey and I am blessed to have her. Also she read the millionaire fastlane
and that helped lol

6 month Goal
- Looking to understand the business by doing everything and systematizing the process from A-Z
- Hit a Revenue goal of atleast 40k
- Bring on another installer (My dad or brother)

1 Year Goal
- Revenue Goal: 120k

1.5 Year Goal
- Bring on 2 additonal installers and buy another vehicle

Daniel.

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 27, 2017
Long Beach, California
Awesome! Definitely looking forward to your updates

Generally speaking for local businesses, you can differentiate yourself very easily by simply picking up the phone with professionalism - which I'm sure you're great at.

What definitely helped me was reaching out to successful people in the industry for advice. Local competitors or others out of your service area as well. You'd be surprised at who is willing to help for free, all the top guys talk to each other - they don't have a scarcity mindset.

I'm now subcontracting work to one of the top guys in my industry and it started with being transparent and seeking help.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE  Freelance University: Solve Every Freelance Problem (Especially on Upwork)
FU. 4 DAYS. 50% OFF BLACK FRIDAY SALE! If you're an Upwork freelancer, you'd be a fool not to...
MARKETPLACE  NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (50% Off Deal Now On)
Just added in some more bonus courses so now up to 4... We have a full super detailed...
MARKETPLACE  You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
One year ago, I was just your average software developer who always consumed content about...
MARKETPLACE  For Sale: Food Brand with 4 Years of Happy Customers in a Fast-Growing Niche
So to get certified, it cost a fortune? How much exactly? That sucks that these "health...
MARKETPLACE  Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Fox's Web School helps you learn a specialized skill which you can use to get to Fastlane. It's...
MARKETPLACE  Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom