The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Question: Where do big corporation employees in Europe read?

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

Zaratustra

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2019
Tbilisi, Georgia
Do employees in big companies in Europe have a special place inside company building where they can sit and read books or magazines? If they do, who decides which magazines there to be?

Ing

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Imo its not usual to stay a monute longer in the workplace than you work. Maybe they drink a beer and talk.
But stayint there for reading? Never heard such a thing.

thechosen1

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 25, 2020
Do employees in big companies in Europe have a special place inside company building where they can sit and read books or magazines? If they do, who decides which magazines there to be?
Not sure what working for a “big corporation” is like since I’ve always worked within my own business or someone in my family’s business, but I can’t imagine employees sitting around reading magazines when they’re supposed to be working.

I guess it depends if they are salary or hourly?

Zaratustra

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2019
Tbilisi, Georgia
Maybe my description was a bit too vague. I'm just looking for a place where above middle class employed Northern Europeans would have 5-10 idle time while waiting for something in the lobby (but not hospital or dentists) and skimming magazines, so I could use that attention.

ragnarcallan

Contributor
Mar 25, 2020
London
I've never seen or heard of a European company that has a specific place to go and read. They might have some magazines in reception for people to read whilst waiting but that's normally all

thechosen1

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 25, 2020
Maybe my description was a bit too vague. I'm just looking for a place where above middle class employed Northern Europeans would have 5-10 idle time while waiting for something in the lobby (but not hospital or dentists) and skimming magazines, so I could use that attention.
Oh ok, well then yes, it is called a "lobby."

Zaratustra

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2019
Tbilisi, Georgia
Oh ok, well then yes, it is called a "lobby."
And how do you decide which magazines to put on your lobby table?
Do you buy magazine subscriptions or do they find free exposure worth to give magazines free?

thechosen1

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 25, 2020
Do you buy magazine subscriptions or do they find free exposure worth to give magazines free?
I'd imagine every place does this differently.

A large corporation like Dow Chemical probably has all kinds of silly rules about what magazines can go in their lobby - to avoid offending anybody, to promote X current trend, to support their sister organization(s), you name it.

A small business like a dental office or Joe's Muffler Shop might have handful of used magazines from 10 years ago collecting dust. Or, they might have none at all.

seomatic

Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
Germany

We had industry magazines in the coffee room. Try to chat up the office manager, most likely you can slide in some stuff.

Zaratustra

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2019
Tbilisi, Georgia
We had industry magazines in the coffee room. Try to chat up the office manager, most likely you can slide in some stuff.
If your company received a random magazine with mail, who would receive it? Do you think it will be put in coffee room?

seomatic

Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
Germany
If your company received a random magazine with mail, who would receive it? Do you think it will be put in coffee room?
Not sure, it was subscription magazine. Try to find the name of the office manager on linkedin and enclose a hand written note. If the quality of the content is good and relevant they might put it there.

Djioul

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 12, 2021
France
I speak from what I know. In the biggest watch group from Switzerland, where I am working, there are mainly some catalogs of watches from the brands belonging to the group.
Plus sometimes, a TV with some corporate content.
And eventually, the newspaper from the day (often "20 Minutes" which is well-known in this country and which has quite consensual opinions).

If it is only for employees, you have break rooms also with some catalogs, newspapers and the Activity Report of the group. And you might also find always the same guys drinking coffee or Red Bull while complaining about their low salaries... :clench:

Djioul

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 12, 2021
France
what kind of catalogs? Who chose them to be there?
Catalogs of the watch brands belonging to the group.

It is basically the marketing teams from the brands which send them to the different factories (mainly submanufacturers belonging to the group).
It is a great way to introduce our products to visitors and also to show the employees what they have done / produced.

BTW : I am just working there ; I am maybe 25 hierarchy levels away of being the CEO... :rofl:

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Any update? Hey bud! When I can squeeze out the time to work, it's been going pretty well...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
For any web designers struggling to sell it is hardly ever about competition with other web...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This month's promo code is MINDCONTROL Those who are subscribed to my new Youtube channel will...
MARKETPLACE Entrepreneur's Toolbox: Company Formation, Virtual Mailbox, Registered Agent, Remote Online Notary
Appreciating the transparency and lack of hidden fees. The website is very up-front and user...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom