The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Question on returns to investors

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
We're currently working on an apartment deal. It's not a cash flow or appreciation deal but a tax credit deal. Most of our investors are focused on cash flow or appreciation so we are having to expand outside our current circle for investors.

We have two other partners, and I myself am still trying to get over the fact that it's not cash flow or appreciation. They were discussing the return to potential investors, and as I understand it, the investors will receive their initial investment back in 6-12 months and tax credits. At first, the investors were to receive all the tax credits but our team decided that was too high a return.

My question is, do investors get turned off when the return is too high? As in, if it's good to be true it must not be true?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nate

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 24, 2007
Utah
I can only speak from how I have felt about it...

About two years ago I spent some time searching for some good "managed currency trading accounts". I would look more into a company when I saw past results and claims of 20-40% per year. Even when it was a bit higher. But when I saw anyone claiming 100% per year or higher, I ran.

In all honesty a company might have very well done 100% per year for the past 5 years, I don't know. I just didn't even stick around long enough to find out. And I'm happy still with who I've found.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
when working with investors...

under promise

and

over deliver

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
ATW, great answer.

Answer to this post: YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

Last month I was presenting a deal to some potential investors and when I told them I was expecting more than 40% in return they looked at me like I was crazy. They couldn't believe there was a RE deal that could provide returns above 20%. They decided to look for investments "around 15-20% per year" and declined this deal.

I always knew people had minimum expected returns in their investments. I had no clue that they also have a maximum expected return. Anything above that was too way out of their comfort zone.

ProInvestor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 15, 2007
Australia
Depends on the deal but most people are usually pretty happy with 10% (for 'normal' people - i.e. not rich, not investors).

Rich people (doctors, dentists, etc) like 15%-25% (25% would be considered real high risk).

Real Investors like infinite returns.

I like the suggest 'under promise and over deliver!'. Imagine give an investor extra tax credits... I could almost guarantee he/she would work with you on the next deal!

Rgds.
ProInvestor

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
Thank you to everyone who responded. I was able to attend an angel investing group today and WOW! You HAD to be an accredited investor to invest in these deals and it was an incredible experience. I hope to be at that point next year!

I had been on the different end, as a paralegal. I processed the paperwork to bring overseas workers and help them attain residency. Then I moved into intellectual property and I saw all this technology but had no idea what it did. I'm still learning and trying to catch up to speed with my partners but I really love the idea of creating and bringing together people with deals/opportunities. I especially would love to work with accredited investors!

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
I experienced a lot of skeptism a few years ago when I received a phone call from a mutual friend (coincidentally, he is actually friendly with 2 different friends from entirely different parts of my life) and he wanted to sit down and talk with me one on one... Of course I agreed to give him an hour and he probably offered the most hyped up sales pitch you could ever imagine. Not that it was a hard sell, but with the dreams flying out of his mouth and he was talking out every which way believing that he could convince me into joining him on a project that involved much of our own personal resources.

Initially, the meeting was designed to get me to visit on sight a new project, but I delved further and asked many more questions that he was simply not able to answer because it was nothing more than a concept in his mind. I visited the project 3 times in Central America before pulling the trigger after I realized the potential. My skeptism resulted from the potential return... but I kept telling myself there is a big diff between potential and reality... reminds me of a great joke....

eventually, I partnered with him with a couple of contingencies... we would switch areas of concentration and stay coastal. So the group bought 2.5 km of beautiful ocean front property.... but I would not put in my full portion until others were in the project and formal business plans were devised. Gladly, he was able to raise the 6mil (not without ease) and just recently sold equity of this project at a multitude of our investment so now we are able to fund the construction and complete engineering without leverage a premier marina.

My initial investment fully funded my entire retirement as a result of the original hour I gave him to pitch the idea. so, here are a couple of lessons learned-

1. if you believe in the idea, make it work. As a result of just an idea, the rewards are dramatically enhanced in every way- I am much more emotionally, financially, mentally charged than investors looking to participate today. An actual in place program, or project does not reap the rewards as it would if it has not gotten off the ground.

2. go with someone who believes in the idea, concept or product. A stiff suit meeting with charts gives me second doubts about ones faith in the project/product/idea... do background checks on the partners- you won't believe half the shit people try to pull off.

3. Ask a lot of questions, and I mean a lot... do not leave any rock uncovered. My partner confided in me later that I was absolutely exhausting but while he learned so much more about what needed to be addressed, I was asking the questions for my own good to help me undestand my risk.

4. Make sure your a$$ is covered. If any other debt is generated, make sure your name is on top before anyone else is paid in case of default.... accountants and lawyers need to evaluate the agreements... a few grand goes a long way to save your a$$, and so do a few hours of reading the terms/conditions/agreements/contracts....

5. Don't be like Michigan State in 1990(?) finals.... (Jalen Rose?) didn't take the shot at the buzzer to try to win the game. Sometimes you just gotta go for it after you spend time analyzing the risks vs. rewards. If there are any doubts, revisit the table, partners, and ask questions...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.