The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Question] Investing platforms for internationals

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Hello everybody,

Hope that you're all doing well and are making good money.

I have a question regarding investment options for international non-residents.
Most options that I've seen are all based for U.S. Citizens, and I have a hard time finding any type of platform for my situation.

Now to clarify, here is my situation:

Personal situation:
- I have a passport of my country of birth(Netherlands)
- I am not a resident in any country, therefore I also do not have a "Tax residence"
- I am not obliged to pay income-taxes in any country in the world.

The type of investments that I'm looking to create:
I want to create a good mix of the following:
- 60% Stocks/equity - Long term/value investing mainly towards the US markets.
- 40% P2P lending, such as lending club, prosper or upstart.
All will be invested in USD from a prepaid USD debit card.

Now the problem is that all platforms that I've found with good reviews either require you to be a U.S. citizen (Upstart, Prosper, Lending club, AmeriTrade etc etc etc.)
or require you to have a tax residence, such as "International brokers".

Now seeing that there are a lot of individuals here that are a lot more knowledgeable with finances and investing than I am, I hope that someone has a way to either circumvent the requirement to be a US citizen/a tax resident, or know a platform that is suited for international-non residents like myself.

All the best and I hope to hear from you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Meaning? You're a nomad?

Kind of.
You must be staying somewhere for residence purposes... could u clarify.

I gave up my residency of my own country due to several rules, and not actively being there (+ not having a home) for more than 30 days a year. You can do this if you spend less than 6 months a year in your country.

I do work and live avg. 10 months a year on international waters on a ship owned by a US company, registered in the Bahamas.

The other 1 month I spend traveling around from hotel to hotel as for my vacation.

With this combination I am legally excluded from any, and all taxes (except for Sales tax/VAT in case that I buy something from any of our ports of call.)
While at the same time I am not a resident in any country.

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
10 months a year on international waters on a ship
Ah this makes sense now...

Don't you have family in one of these countries. You can use their address to register. Always have a home-base somewhere, unfortunately that's the world we live in right now. TD Ameritrade and others usually accept foreign countries, provided you have a physical address. (Your bank account must be connected to that address right? How about in your passport? Some passports require you to have a physical residential address... you could use that).

Reminds me to watch the film Deepwater Horizon!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Talk with an international tax attorney or schedule a consultation with @GlobalWealth.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Talk with an international tax attorney or schedule a consultation with @GlobalWealth.
Thanks @MTF. Let me know if you want to chat. This is my area.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Thanks @MTF. Let me know if you want to chat. This is my area.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk
Definitely interested to hear your ideas,

It's hard to schedule a time though, as during my time in international waters (Where I am now) I have limited access(Most websites are blocked), and my access to the internet also depends if anybody else is using the work computer at that time(20+ people work on this computer and it's first come first serve), and if we get satellite coverage at that time.

So a more viable option would be to communicate through PM's rather than through a live chat as I cannot make sure that I am online at a certain time.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Quick update on some of the European P2P loan platforms:

I managed to use a postal address in the netherlands to register for some of the P2P lending platforms, here are my experienced so far:

- Twino: All good, no problems at all.
- Mintos: So far so good
- Bondora: Big minus points so far,
They did give 5 Euro's as a bonus for choosing them, however they have been Texting and calling the phone number that I used to register every single day since I registered, I also received 10+ emails from them.
After explaining that I do not wish to receive any phonecalls they keep doing this.

I will withdraw any money from them and invest it in Mintos or Twino instead.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
Perhaps you should invest in bitcoin & cryptocurrencies?

Most brokers or P2P platforms will be UK, or US based and i'd assume require proof of address. Almost any regulated financial platform that you will interact with will require this to comply with AML/KYC.

I can't see how you can really get around this.

How are you going to withdraw from the platforms. Do you have a bank account? They won't be able to send your money back to prepaid cards.

What sort of sums are you looking to invest? I can't see how you can move big sums around with prepaid cards, or avoid high fees which will negate some returns.

If you have a bank account, then you can probably trade with some forex and CFD brokers (similar requirments to playing online poker), but forget the professional platforms like Interactive Brokers.

Last edited:

AKP2P

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Dec 16, 2020
I will withdraw any money from them and invest it in Mintos or Twino instead.

Hey!
I'm new to investing in p2p and am especially interested in starting investing on Mintos and I would appreciate if anyone could share their experience with them or perhaps other European p2p platform. What's the situation there now after first Covid wave? As far as I have read, there was a rough time in 2020 spring, but now things are much more stable and the bad loan originating companies now are gone leaving a more safe and stable batch of originators to select for investing in.

Can anyone confirm that this could be a good time to start investing on Mintos?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.