The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quarter Life Crisis

Anything related to matters of the mind

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
A little about me:
- Graduated college about a month ago (I am 21 years old)
- Started having huge doubts about my life midway to my last semester (Glad I did, or I wouldn't have discovered the fastlane). During my intership, I was getting a taste of the whole 40hr work week. I just couldn't swallow the fact that people do this. Some simple google search and here I am. After reading the book (The past 4 years have been a total waste).
- I went to college for the medical field and it is a typical 9-5 job. Pretty much all my friends in my major were so quick to get a job that some were working before we even graduated. No room for advancement, not that I want to advance anymore haha (after reading this book). So pretty much dead end, max income I will get is 70k after working for like 10yrs. Starting is like 50k.
- Haven't finished the book yet.
- Right now I am studying for a license exam for my 9-5 (Still applied and have an interview next week, as a safety).
- My plan is to make an app company because of how passive it is. I learned to draw, still learning programming (Swift), taught myself to make basic sounds, and learning some marketing. First started using a middleman program to make an app, realized they didn't let you put your own ads in...Ditched the app and want to make it on swift now, even though I was 90% done with it. This is what I get for taking a shortcut to coding.
- Pretty much lost now, I live in parent's basement. Learning as much as possible but realize that I will be stuck in my parents basement for a while if I don't get a 9-5.
- Only problem now is that the app market is getting more and more competitive by the day. By the time know coding well, the app market will be overly saturated. Realizing I missed the whole app gold rush where many became millionaires. I'm at a lost.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
- Graduated college about a month ago (I am 21 years old)

Dude, you're only 21.

(The past 4 years have been a total waste).

Rather than think of time wasted, think of what you've learned, and how you can apply this knowledge to help people. You're learning programming, and you've spent years in school learning about the medical field. At any point, did you stop and think, "wow, we've thought of everything, we've really mastered these medical practices 100%!". Probably not, which means there is room for improvement. Is there software you could develop that would make a certain technique less archaic?

- I went to college for the medical field and it is a typical 9-5 job. Pretty much all my friends in my major were so quick to get a job that some were working before we even graduated. No room for advancement, not that I want to advance anymore haha (after reading this book). So pretty much dead end, max income I will get is 70k after working for like 10yrs. Starting is like 50k.

Yes, the slowlane does suck (unless it's in a job you absolutely love to spend 8+ hours a day 5 days a week doing). Good for your friends, but worry about yourself instead.

- Haven't finished the book yet.

Get on that, and then read around the forums (such as GOLD posts). There is a TON of value here in these forums. Use the search for topics you're interested in, and ask questions no one has asked. At the same time, add value; explain your achievements, and how you got there.

- Right now I am studying for a license exam for my 9-5 (Still applied and have an interview next week, as a safety).
- My plan is to make an app company because of how passive it is. I learned to draw, still learning programming (Swift), taught myself to make basic sounds, and learning some marketing. First started using a middleman program to make an app, realized they didn't let you put your own ads in...Ditched the app and want to make it on swift now, even though I was 90% done with it. This is what I get for taking a shortcut to coding.
- Pretty much lost now, I live in parent's basement. Learning as much as possible but realize that I will be stuck in my parents basement for a while if I don't get a 9-5.

Read This
(Instead of relying on others to pay your bills, why not get one foot in the door of independance, and freelance?)

- Only problem now is that the app market is getting more and more competitive by the day. By the time know coding well, the app market will be overly saturated. Realizing I missed the whole app gold rush where many became millionaires. I'm at a lost.

You need to stop looking at it as black and white. It isn't that there was an "app goldrush" and programmers just "became millionaires". Look at the grey, why did they become millionaires? It's because they developed something that others either wanted, or needed. Their app helped people, and I'm sure it wasn't a smooth ride for those app developers to get to where they are today.

Think about it. Do we really have software out there that solves absolutely every single problem? Is that it? Is it time to throw in the rag and stop developing? Definitely not. There are so many things one can accomplish with programming. Each and every day, society and products are becoming more interactive and flexible with one another.

More people doesn't always mean 'less doors'; especially in the App World, where doors are created where new problems need solved. People trying to cram themselves into the same door as you? Welcome to business, that's commonplace -- Just make sure that your interests are in solving that 'door' to the absolute best possible degree you can.

Last edited by a moderator:

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Dude, you're only 21.

I feel so behind though, kids these days already know programming and they are starting to teach it in grade school now.

Rather than think of time wasted, think of what you've learned, and how you can apply this knowledge to help people. You're learning programming, and you've spent years in school learning about the medical field. At any point, did you stop and think, "wow, we've thought of everything, we've really mastered these medical practices 100%!". Probably not, which means there is room for improvement. Is there software you could develop that would make a certain technique less archaic?

More specifically, my major deals with laboratory tests and truthfully they have pretty much thought of everything. Also, to develop any new tests people don't respect you unless you have a phd. Most Laboratory tests are being automated now, so to create a an entirely new thing. You need engineering (mechanical, electrical, thermodynamics, etc.), computer science, my field, etc. I don't think this is a fastlane because to learn these subjects it will take more than 5+ years. Other option is to hire people, but I am a recent grad with little to no cash.

Yes, the slowlane does suck (unless it's in a job you absolutely love to spend 8+ hours a day 5 days a week doing). Good for your friends, but worry about yourself instead.

Get on that, and then read around the forums (such as GOLD posts). There is a TON of value here in these forums. Use the search for topics you're interested in, and ask questions no one has asked. At the same time, add value; explain your achievements, and how you got there.

Will do

Read This
(Instead of relying on others to pay your bills, why not get one foot in the door of independance, and freelance?)

Doesn't freelancing require a set of skills at first, I don't have any that are applicable for the internet. My medical field skills are extremely limited to the field itself.

You need to stop looking at it as black and white. It isn't that there was an "app goldrush" and programmers just "became millionaires". Look at the grey, why did they become millionaires? It's because they developed something that others either wanted, or needed. Their app helped people, and I'm sure it wasn't a smooth ride for those app developers to get to where they are today.

Think about it. Do we really have software out there that solves absolutely every single problem? Is that it? Is it time to throw in the rag and stop developing? Definitely not. There are so many things one can accomplish with programming. Each and every day, society and products are becoming more interactive and flexible with one another.

More people doesn't always mean 'less doors'; especially in the App World, where doors are created where new problems need solved. People trying to cram themselves into the same door as you? Welcome to business, that's commonplace -- Just make sure that your interests are in solving that 'door' to the absolute best possible degree you can.

I was thinking about making games, but now I have to think otherwise. Not gonna lie, I just wanted to make games for money.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Can you get a job and do apps?

Many people start their companies while they are working. It is nice to have capital to help you get started. You are in a stage of your life where you can build a bit of money while finding a path forward.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
1)
I feel so behind though, kids these days already know programming and they are starting to teach it in grade school now.

2)
Doesn't freelancing require a set of skills at first, I don't have any that are applicable for the internet. My medical field skills are extremely limited to the field itself.

3)
I was thinking about making games, but now I have to think otherwise. Not gonna lie, I just wanted to make games for money.

Heh, thought I was the only one who used the "quarter life crisis" term. I would suggest doing some thorough reading in the mindset forum here. I'll put my $.02 in accordingly.

1- You're still so young man... I'm 28 and felt as if I was "too old" to be any better from hereon in my life until I opened my eyes and slapped myself in the face. There are guys who have started far later than you and I who are making it happen. I don't think they once thought they were too old. Saying you're too old or too behind is like subconsciously raising the white flag, it's shooting the cannon ball of excuse at your dreams and determination.

2- Sure, anything can require a set of skills. It depends on how much you're willing to dedicate to teaching yourself. You're focusing too much on the event and not the process. I'll give you an example: I am self taught in music, video game coding (to an extent), photoshop, photography, video editing, and although I'm way behind on this one: web design. I would always design websites, started in the 6th grade for fun. I used to love game design as well. I gave it up for years. Now in my adult life, a LOT has changed in these 2 fields, a hell of a lot. Recently I have begun to put a website together, and much like MJ's method, I would solve a problem as it occurred. I didn't go and brush up on EVERY aspect of it, but I figured out what I needed to do and figured out how to do it, one step at a time. My biggest "skill" I guess you can call it is music. I've taught myself to play guitar, drums, bass, piano, etc. When I wanted to record, I learned how to engineer. Learned how to do everything on my own. I have friends who have went to school for sound design and various other music related subjects who probably can't compose a song for the life of them, they always compliment my works, saying they "wish" they could be that "talented". I hate the word talented, because it's not something I just magically adopted one day, I had to learn it, had to bust my a$$. Luckily I am a modest person and never praise myself as being "great" at anything, but the feedback is encouraging.

The point is, at one point I sucked at all of the above and was behind. It would have been like me looking at Mozart and declaring "man, he's already done it, I might as well hang it up". Nah, it was something I wanted to do which I thought other people would enjoy and they did. I don't pursue it on a fastlane scale because it's a passion and remember: the market doesn't give a shit about your passion. If my dumbass can learn all these things, you can too. There shouldn't be an end to learning.

3- There's nothing wrong with wanting to make video games. If you're just making them for the money, then yeah, knock it off. But, why not start with making a video game YOU wish existed? You will ultimately have more fun doing it and want to work on it even more, perfect it and give it to others who you think would find value in it. Once you provide value, you become valuable. When I started developing little games in my younger years, they started as mods to current games because I felt it was either lacking, or I felt "man, I wish this was in here" or "I wish they would have done it this way". Look at the guys who developed Counter-Strike... It was a Half-Life mod, started by a couple guys in college who wanted to do something they thought would be fun/cool. When your sole purpose is doing something just for the money, you end up overlooking the important parts and end up with something rushed or half assed. Don't be a chaser, be a maker.

Sorry for rambling so much, I should have made my user name "The Rambler"

Aidan

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I feel so behind though

Then catch up.
Also, to develop any new tests

No one said you have to develop a new test. Look outside the box; is there an app that could help the way these tests are performed? Streamline the tests? Is there an app that could help labs in general, in any way, shape or form?

If the Medical Field really 'isn't your thing', look in any other field out there. The world is riddled with problems waiting to be solved.

Doesn't freelancing require a set of skills at first

Yes it does require skills. Not only freelancing, but any fastlane out there requires skills. What do you do? You learn these skills. Don't ever think "gee, well I don't know how to do this, so I guess that's that." Did MJ say, "well I don't know how computer/web languages work, so I guess I'm not making my Limo website".

I just wanted to make games for money.

Not sure how far you are in the book, but that's a definite no no. Chasing money is like chasing a rabbit that you never actually catch. However, create/bring something of value that the rabbit wants (eg food) and it will come to you.

Remember that no one cares what you want. It's what value you can provide to them, that matters most.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
So, I am halfway through Part 8: Accelerate Wealth. It doesn't exactly apply to me right now, but now I am completely lost. I'll admit it. I was a money chaser. I only started looking into programming to apps for the money. I am also that person that used to believe the whole "Do what you love thing." At the end of the Commandement of Entry chapter, Mj says that in 2009 everyone was selling in the stock market, but he was long gone and sold a year earlier. How does MJ know to get on top of things like this before everyone else? I seem to be the person to always realize these events at the end. Another example is about the plumber at the end of that chapter. MJ says that when the plumber raves abut properties that have appreciaed in 15% in the last three months. Its time to get out and stay out. So, I have heard about many people becoming millionaires with the app market, so its time to get out and stay out?

More about myself:
My dream is to be a bodybuilder and that isn't possible in the slowlane without me sacrificing many aspects of my other life (family, friends, social). So the only way for me to be an elite bodybuilder is the fastlane. Not that anyone cares about my dreams anyways

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
So, I am halfway through Part 8: Accelerate Wealth. It doesn't exactly apply to me right now, but now I am completely lost. I'll admit it. I was a money chaser. I only started looking into programming to apps for the money. I am also that person that used to believe the whole "Do what you love thing." At the end of the Commandement of Entry chapter, Mj says that in 2009 everyone was selling in the stock market, but he was long gone and sold a year earlier. How does MJ know to get on top of things like this before everyone else? I seem to be the person to always realize these events at the end. Another example is about the plumber at the end of that chapter. MJ says that when the plumber raves abut properties that have appreciaed in 15% in the last three months. Its time to get out and stay out. So, I have heard about many people becoming millionaires with the app market, so its time to get out and stay out?

More about myself:
My dream is to be a bodybuilder and that isn't possible in the slowlane without me sacrificing many aspects of my other life (family, friends, social). So the only way for me to be an elite bodybuilder is the fastlane. Not that anyone cares about my dreams anyways

Dude, were the same age so I'm going to offer my 2 cents here. I had similar bodybuilding aspirations. This is gonna be short because I'm at work and really don't have insane time to dive into your dilemma but I don't think you need much to get a push in the right direction.

You are 21 so you're young. You have medical experience from school. I went to business school and haven't learned much relevant to running a business there, so if anything you've got more to work with.

Don't JUST do what you love. That's selfish.
Don't JUST chase the $ that's selfish

MJ, like many fastlaners, goes against the sheeple. When they're screaming on the way to the slaughterhouse, he's walking in the other direction on another street. There's a thing in poker where if you don't know who the sucker is at the table you're it. If you can't point out the sheeple's trajectory mistake, you might be among them. Apply the metaphor to what you were saying with stocks and plumbing.

Read the book. Take action.

Too many people on here get caught in analysis paralysis. Just DO IT. Live the life you want to live, man.

Bodybuilders live like shit. Look at Kai Greene. Don't do that for money.. It'll probably never come. Do things you enjoy and FIND NEEDS and FILL them.

Sorry to be harsh herebut
No one gives a F*ck what you want. Nobody. The sooner you get that, the sooner you'll be on your way. Stop thinking me me me. "I want to build an app, I want to make money, I want to be a bodybuilder" me me I I I bullshit. When you start adding value to others and the world you'll make money.

Gotta run, PM me if you need anything

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
1- You're still so young man... I'm 28 and felt as if I was "too old" to be any better from hereon in my life until I opened my eyes and slapped myself in the face. There are guys who have started far later than you and I who are making it happen. I don't think they once thought they were too old. Saying you're too old or too behind is like subconsciously raising the white flag, it's shooting the cannon ball of excuse at your dreams and determination.

When I say I am 21 years old , I wasn't waving the white flag. When I said that, I meant that I am learning/working faster to catch up. I have been in constant "Rush mode

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

early riser

Grind Harder
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2014
Both coasts. The west now.
More specifically, my major deals with laboratory tests and truthfully they have pretty much thought of everything. Also, to develop any new tests people don't respect you unless you have a phd. Most Laboratory tests are being automated now, so to create a an entirely new thing. You need engineering (mechanical, electrical, thermodynamics, etc.), computer science, my field, etc. I don't think this is a fastlane because to learn these subjects it will take more than 5+ years. Other option is to hire people, but I am a recent grad with little to no cash.
Elizabeth Holmes, the richest woman in America (worth 4.6 billion) dropped out of Stanford and somehow formed a lab test with none of this and raised 400 million in funding (although you say no one would respect her w/o a phd).

Don't make excuses, take action.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Don't JUST do what you love. That's selfish.
Don't JUST chase the $ that's selfish
I find this advise to be a bit on the harsh side. It is true that doing what you love may not get the desired results. But, you should still love what you do.

I don't feel that it is selfish. This just may not get the desired results.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
I find this advise to be a bit on the harsh side. It is true that doing what you love may not get the desired results. But, you should still love what you do.

I don't feel that it is selfish. This just may not get the desired results.

What you love only matters if it provides value to things or people aside from yourself.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
im about to turn 25, graduated at 23, realized it was all for nothing after seeing my cubicle for a few weeks. Then I GOT TO WORK. If there was anything school and my mother did teach me, it's discipline and a belief that i could accomplish anything i wanted.
Baby steps man, if u do a little every day, by the time you're 25 you won't recognize yourself.

I actually make game apps :)
at 23 i had nothing but a degree.
now at almost 25 i got 2 apps, lots of experience, personal website/blog, graphic designer partnered with me, company logos, even potential clients to do apps for... all of that was accomplished slowly and steadily, SLOWLY AND STEADILY, take it a day at a time.

I always told myself, "if i spend even 1 minute working towards my goal today, then the day wasn't a waste", off course once you start you'll end up spending much more than a minute!

I got so much to live for, so much to accomplish, there's no time for a crisis man!

Aidan

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Being over analytical doesn't help; take it one step at a time my friend.

You want to become a Professional Body Builder, cool. I want to race cars, and lock myself in a music studio for days to make songs. Others want to travel, build an orphanage, sail around the world.

What do all of these things have in common? They all require Money, they all require freedom (aka Money).

How you you obtain money? We all know the answer to that by now. Be of use to people, create value, find ways to positively change anything that can help people. Do you have to 'invent something'? Nope. The key word is "improve". Find something that already exists, and ask yourself, "how can I make this better?" "People really complain a lot about this aspect of this device, how can I solve this?"

Just focused on App Developing because of the money? That's okay, we've all made a ton of mistakes. Just learn from your mistake, and don't do it again. See? This is improvement already. This is how Entrepreneurship, and building as a person works. How learning works.

If you really don't want to get into app development, that's okay. Most of us here are not into app development. Developing apps isn't the only way to help and/or create value people. Again, take a look at many of the GOLD posts in this forum, there are many ways to help others.

I personally started by programming, and then decided that I want nothing to do with programming (for the time being anyway) and completely changed what type of value I wanted to provide. I got into manufacturing. First product had awful validation, and I even began questioning myself if I would actually use my own device. I threw that project to the sidelines for now, but did I learn anything? I totally learned a lot through that experience. Which makes my new project very fun, because I learned to create an item of value that I honestly believe in, and that others would actually find useful. This project is, and has already gone farther than my previous, and I plan to keep going on and on.

The more people you are able to help = your rising profits. Help people the best you can and they will reward you.

You have to take that first step, and only focus on the next. Learn as you go.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Buy into weakness and sell into strength....

Just so everyone knows... while real estate market was crashing several years ago, guess who was out finding investors and snatching up apartments at a deep discount? This statement isn't something that just sounds good to regurgitate-- Steve has lived this, done this, and succeeded at it.

It pays to be contrarian.

When it comes to "the crowd", it's lead or leave. Do not follow.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
I did a lot of thinking. Went from making a blog and realized that it needed to be hosted. It got me thinking, is a web hosting business a good idea? I mean its basically real estate of the internet??

D

DeletedUser394

I did a lot of thinking. Went from making a blog and realized that it needed to be hosted. It got me thinking, is a web hosting business a good idea? I mean its basically real estate of the internet??

Dude...

Do more thinking. Or read the book again.. read it until you understand it.

Is web hosting a good idea? Well, do you know anything about it? Does it violate CENTS?

Sorry but our teachers lied to us: there is such a thing as a dumb question.

Payden

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Mar 4, 2014
Lawrence, KS
- My plan is to make an app company because of how passive it is.
I don't mean to be negative, but that's not a good mindset. That's not how you start a business. Start with a need, someone else's need. The marketplace doesn't care that you want to own a passive company. I don't want to discourage you, because we'll all been there. We all have to start some place. I just wanted to point that out to you.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
I don't mean to be negative, but that's not a good mindset. That's not how you start a business. Start with a need, someone else's need. The marketplace doesn't care that you want to own a passive company. I don't want to discourage you, because we'll all been there. We all have to start some place. I just wanted to point that out to you.

I made this post before I was aware of CENTS. I am posting on subreddits now, asking what is the biggest problem they have

Payden

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Mar 4, 2014
Lawrence, KS
I made this post before I was aware of CENTS. I am posting on subreddits now, asking what is the biggest problem they have
That's a great start. Also, start thinking about what needs you have. For example, my business helps people with learning disabilities.

We got into this business because my wife, Jamee (see picture), grew up with dyslexia. When Jamee was younger, she struggled with reading, so naturally, when Jamee had homework, her mom would help her. The two of them would sit at the kitchen table and take turns reading. Jamee would read a page and then her mom would read a page. This back-and-forth process would continue until the reading was completed. When it was Jamee’s mom’s turn to read, Jamee would follow along with her, reading the words on the page as her mom pronounced them out loud. Seeing the words, then hearing them read aloud helped Jamee understand what she was reading. The product we are developing is meant to simulate Jamee’s experience, and help students across the country who struggle to read.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.