The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Put out finished product OR just put SOMETHING out there?

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
What are your guys' thoughts on this? I'm working on an e-book, and I can't bring myself to bring it to any kind of market without everything being polished up and ready so that it's "perfect." Obviously nothing is perfect, but I want to be happy with the finished product, but others think it's best to just get something out there quick and then improve based on feedback.
Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
You can always put out a sample on this forum for some cold truth feedback.

Sent from my bathroom using Tapatalk 2 :)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
What if your feedback sucks? I'd rather put my best effort forth. If it is feedback you are after, send 10 copies to people here on the forum and tell them to poke holes in it for you. Don't do it with friends and family, as your Mom will tell you how great it is even if it sucks.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
My opinion is always to get out a minimum viable product (MVP) as soon as possible. That MVP should be really good, but is usually not anywhere near as "complete" as most people have on their original idea.

For example, let's say I were writing a book on how to do pushups. I might write some of the first chapters out and put them in front of an audience for free to see how people respond to them. If they do well, I add them to a final product. Then, when I have enough content that people like (through measured engagement), release the book for sale.

Let's say I were going to release a new cat carrier. My goal would be to put out a minimum viable product where the carrier has the new features I am thinking of (say, an easy open cage door), but none of the bells and whistles (say, integrated bowls and a plush lined bottom).

I think a lot of people obsess and obsess over having things done perfectly, and forget the 80/20 rule in the process.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
You can always put out a sample on this forum for some cold truth feedback.

Sent from my bathroom using Tapatalk 2 :)

In my opinion, this forum isn't the target market (unless the market is other entrepreneurs), so you will likely get feedback that isn't as useful as just putting it in front of your target market.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Both roads will lead you to the same place long enough down the line.

I published a book the other week, got 500 readers, and after speaking to a segment of them, they all told me what I should fix..and they all said the same thing. They gave me a viewpoint that I didn't really find myself. I can now put out version 2 with customer feedback.

Or don't publish it, get your book in the hands of 10 people from your target market who will actually read it, get feedback, and then officially publish it.

Dont get too caught up in your thoughts...They will only slow you down.

Pick a direction and run. Both options will get you to the same place far enough down the road.

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
@csalvato is right to an extent. I reviewed an ebook someone on this forum had written, but I already knew so much about the subject that I really had to work to put myself into the mindset of someone who didn't; having said that I DID manage to do that.

@Jakeeck, I've read some ebooks that were terribly written, poor English (native speaker, but writing like someone who just scraped through English in High school and never wrote essays). Just to say that I'm not worried about that from you - and that puts you ahead of many.

Happy to read and feed back if needed.

As usual, @AndrewNC has just hit the nail squarely on the head.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Atown512

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 15, 2011
Houston
This is something I struggle with a great deal. I am a perfectionist and it often leads to inaction or wasted time. The problem with this discussion is that people assume the answer needs to be polarized (ie one or the other). We completely ignore the fact that there are varying levels of "minimum" and "viable" for every product. As with most things, the answer lies somewhere in between. Think about the words in MVP:

Minimum - What is the minimum? This is a subjective word that only you can answer. The market is not going to tell you what the minimum is.
Viable - What is viable? This is subjective as well and can only be answered by the market. You can and must make an educated guess here.
Product - this is not subjective and implies that the end result must actually exist in some form. If you are trying to find out the answers to the first two questions you need something to test.

It is your job as the entrepreneur to figure out what the market wants and WHEN your product meets the Minimum threshold. Then after you launch, the market will decide IF your product is Viable. I realize that you are looking for a definitive answer here but unfortunately there is not. All fear is based on uncertainty....Uncertainty that I have met the minimum requirements. Uncertainty that I have a viable product. None of that is certain until you test it in the market. That is why there is so much wisdom in the launch and learn strategy.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
This is something I struggle with a great deal. I am a perfectionist and it often leads to inaction or wasted time. The problem with this discussion is that people assume the answer needs to be polarized (ie one or the other). We completely ignore the fact that there are varying levels of "minimum" and "viable" for every product. As with most things, the answer lies somewhere in between. Think about the words in MVP:

Minimum - What is the minimum? This is a subjective word that only you can answer. The market is not going to tell you what the minimum is.
Viable - What is viable? This is subjective as well and can only be answered by the market. You can and must make an educated guess here.
Product - this is not subjective and implies that the end result must actually exist in some form. If you are trying to find out the answers to the first two questions you need something to test.

It is your job as the entrepreneur to figure out what the market wants and WHEN your product meets the Minimum threshold. Then after you launch, the market will decide IF your product is Viable. I realize that you are looking for a definitive answer here but unfortunately there is not. All fear is based on uncertainty....Uncertainty that I have met the minimum requirements. Uncertainty that I have a viable product. None of that is certain until you test it in the market. That is why there is so much wisdom in the launch and learn strategy.

This is the best explanation of an MVP and it's benefits I have ever seen. In 3 paragraphs you sum up everything I think about it more eloquently than I ever have. +Rep

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.