The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Pursue Things That Interest You

gabeb1920

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Feb 1, 2016
Wollongong, Australia
Watched this video this morning and it really struck a chord with me. I'm always curious and I love to learn new things. I spend time every day reading books, reading blogs and watching YouTube videos to learn things.

So far my life has turned out pretty well but I'm not exactly where I want to be and I'm not certain if all or any of the extra learning I do has paid off in a career or business. It'll be interesting to see if it does in the future.

What do you think? Can we be successful by simply pursuing things we're interested in and then looking for relationships between the things we learn and business opportunities? Or does learning need to be more focused on your current business ventures in order to be beneficial?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest34764

I believe it will sometimes depend on your interests.

If you're interested in music, chances are you will have a tough time transferring that into business success.

However, if you're interested in reptiles, It's much easier to transfer that sort of interest into a business.

The man in the video makes a great point, though.You don't need to focus on current business ventures to become successful.

Thinking outside the box will always give you a higher ceiling than those stuck inside the box.

The ones inside the box can only spread themselves to the height of the box.Those on the outside can fully stretch their bodies and the roof is far above

their heads.Sorta cheesy but you get the point.You can always turn your interests into

success, but know that some interests are harder to transfer or see the relationship to business than others.I hope this answers your question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Watched this video this morning and it really struck a chord with me. I'm always curious and I love to learn new things. I spend time every day reading books, reading blogs and watching YouTube videos to learn things.

So far my life has turned out pretty well but I'm not exactly where I want to be and I'm not certain if all or any of the extra learning I do has paid off in a career or business. It'll be interesting to see if it does in the future.

What do you think? Can we be successful by simply pursuing things we're interested in and then looking for relationships between the things we learn and business opportunities? Or does learning need to be more focused on your current business ventures in order to be beneficial?

@Thiago Machado
@axiom

Man, I wish someone could track the success of people trying to "find businesses" to start, and track their success when they actually start it.

Like... bro, how much money have you actually made since you've been on this forum? How much money have you actually made since you started "hustling"?

There's a REASON almost all businesses fail. It's because the people starting them have no clue what the F*ck they're doing.

It's pretty easy to find businesses that work, because business ideas that actually work can be publicly searched; finding them is one or two internet searches away.

Search for established and successful businesses in a niche that is already alive, and then sell for them.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I'm interested in learning about new markets, learning new skills, and really just challenging myself everyday to grow more and influence more people's lives. Sometimes that takes different mediums. I have my hobbies and passions (music, sports) just like everyone else, but these don't always get me the results I want (money, fame), so I turn to different business ventures (real estate, product/service) to achieve my goals. All the while working on my hobbies and passions (music, sports) on the side.

We all work out (probably) but it'd be difficult for everyone to be successful in this market. Why? Because of the barrier to entry law. In other words, everyone's doing it. You just have to find something you like enough, that you'll do whatever it takes to get there. Whether it's selling lollipops on the street, or flipping houses, if your goal is a Lamborghini, I'm sure you'll do anything it takes to get there. :) And that's what the Fastlane is about: the hustle.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
You are posting a question where there is no real answer to.

You can get successful while creating a business that creates value and matches your interests or one that creates value and doesn't match your interests.

You're putting the emphasis on the wrong thing: your interests, while it actually should be on value.

Nobody can give you the answers to what you are asking, because their answers would only be based on their experience and the experience of others, but not on yours.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY

I'll echo a modified version of @Ubermensch's response.

Finding business ideas is incredibly easy; a quick search on Google will get a lot of ideas. The filter for which idea you execute on would be your interests. List all your interests and strengths out, and then start searching. There are some people who can detach themselves from their business to the point where it doesn't matter if they're actually interested in the business, to them it serves as a means to an end. Most people, however, benefit from having their initial venture be something they are interested in to help them build the habits and strategies needed to get them through the lulls that happen.

gabeb1920

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Feb 1, 2016
Wollongong, Australia
Thanks for all the responses. I wasn't so much asking the question as just looking to start a conversation so it was good to read the replies and see the different viewpoints.

@Ubermensch is right in that I haven't made any money from a side hustle yet and, to be honest, I don't know what the F*ck I'm doing. But I think I know slightly more than when I first joined the forums. Perhaps that's enough for me to just take some action and start something? How much knowledge and learning do I need before I start?

I also agree with @Supa about the need to create value. This is one of the big things I've learnt over the last few months on the forum, the focus should really be about creating value above anything else.

I can see changes in myself and the way I view the world. I now am actively looking for ways in which I can add value through the things I create. Again I've yet to actually create anything other than a few blog posts but it's a start. As I continue to identify more opportunities to add value I'm sure I will be able to take action on some of them and actually create the value where it didn't exist before.

Thanks all :)

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
How much knowledge and learning do I need before I start?

What exactly are you looking to do? Are you looking to do some kind of info-product? Physical product? Software? The answer depends on what you're interested in doing. If you're not familiar with marketing in general, I'd research that, namely on concepts like market segments, branding, customer profiles, etc. Regardless of what you do, you will need to know your potential customers and how you can help them.

the focus should really be about creating value above anything else.

As much I appreciate this sentiment, it seems a little too unsubstantial for me. As I mentioned, it's really important to have an idea of who you want to market to. That's where your interests can come into play, as you can find a community of people who share your interests, and interact with them to find opportunities.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.