The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

REAL ESTATE Property Manager?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Do most people use property managers for their properties? Is it smarter to do with residential or commercial or does it not matter? What are some uncommon tips you might have regarding this subject? Thanks.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Adam

New Contributor
Aug 12, 2007
Minneapolis
It is very common to use property managers on the commercial side. With residential, most people will create thier own management company for their properties. Residential isn't as profitable on a monthly basis (generally speaking) so it makes it tougher to hire a property manager.

andviv

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
When I had rental out of state I had to have PMs. It made things a little bit more "interesting" but cause I was targeting areas with strong grow then I was ok. Communication --that is, constant communication-- was key for me in that case.

JesseO

Contributor
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
:iagree: You'll want managers or a management company once you hit more than 30 units, I think. If it is out of state, you'll want them no matter what the size, but it tends to take less of your bottom line when you have more than 50 units.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
I LOVE my property manager... :hl:

It, for me, is WELL WORTH the reduced cashflow to have a PM.
My time and peace of mind is worth it.

When we first made the switch from doing it ourselves to a PM, a weight was lifted that I didn't even realize I had. The best benefit is time, though. It gives me the freedom to FOCUS on more important things.

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
I would highly recommend factoring the PM expense into your pro-forma calculations before buying a property, whether you plan to use one or not. Even if you don't plan to use a PM, if you know that you will still be able to positively cash flow with the expense built-in, you'll have the reassurance that if you ever need to start using a PM (to save time or if you move out of state), you'll still have positive cash flow.

triple J

New Contributor
Aug 8, 2007
Utica, NY
I LOVE my property manager... :hl:

It, for me, is WELL WORTH the reduced cashflow to have a PM.
My time and peace of mind is worth it.

When we first made the switch from doing it ourselves to a PM, a weight was lifted that I didn't even realize I had. The best benefit is time, though. It gives me the freedom to FOCUS on more important things.
I am going to hire a PM and I would like to know how you pay your PM (% of gross rents?) and exactly what duties they perform (showing, leasing, eviction, etc?)? Do you pay extra for getting the apartment ready for a new tenant? Do you hire a sep. person for lawn care, etc?

Thank you!

JesseO

Contributor
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Triple J, the management team can be paid any way you agree. Usually it is a percentage of the actual rental income. They should take care of every single aspect of the property. They will handle the rent roll, income/expense logs, leasing, advertising, etc. Lawn care is usually contracted out to a landscaping company. Most management co's have maintenance men employed to take care of leaky faucets and other small issues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
New Course! Upwork Client Psychology I #UdemyApproved! Upwork Client Psychology I is designed...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Welcome to 2020, I wanted to add in a quick note about gratitude for the new year...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

The 2020 Fastlane Summit

This event SOLD OUT in October. For authorized resale tickets, please check ticket resales or contact the forum directly.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom