The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Property Manager?

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Do most people use property managers for their properties? Is it smarter to do with residential or commercial or does it not matter? What are some uncommon tips you might have regarding this subject? Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Adam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 12, 2007
Minneapolis
It is very common to use property managers on the commercial side. With residential, most people will create thier own management company for their properties. Residential isn't as profitable on a monthly basis (generally speaking) so it makes it tougher to hire a property manager.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
When I had rental out of state I had to have PMs. It made things a little bit more "interesting" but cause I was targeting areas with strong grow then I was ok. Communication --that is, constant communication-- was key for me in that case.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
:iagree: You'll want managers or a management company once you hit more than 30 units, I think. If it is out of state, you'll want them no matter what the size, but it tends to take less of your bottom line when you have more than 50 units.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I LOVE my property manager... :hl:

It, for me, is WELL WORTH the reduced cashflow to have a PM.
My time and peace of mind is worth it.

When we first made the switch from doing it ourselves to a PM, a weight was lifted that I didn't even realize I had. The best benefit is time, though. It gives me the freedom to FOCUS on more important things.

triple J

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Aug 8, 2007
Utica, NY
I LOVE my property manager... :hl:

It, for me, is WELL WORTH the reduced cashflow to have a PM.
My time and peace of mind is worth it.

When we first made the switch from doing it ourselves to a PM, a weight was lifted that I didn't even realize I had. The best benefit is time, though. It gives me the freedom to FOCUS on more important things.

I am going to hire a PM and I would like to know how you pay your PM (% of gross rents?) and exactly what duties they perform (showing, leasing, eviction, etc?)? Do you pay extra for getting the apartment ready for a new tenant? Do you hire a sep. person for lawn care, etc?

Thank you!

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Triple J, the management team can be paid any way you agree. Usually it is a percentage of the actual rental income. They should take care of every single aspect of the property. They will handle the rent roll, income/expense logs, leasing, advertising, etc. Lawn care is usually contracted out to a landscaping company. Most management co's have maintenance men employed to take care of leaky faucets and other small issues.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.