The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Progressing from nothing to a Web Design Business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

FastlanerDoer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 19, 2022
Indonesia
This is going to be a progress thread/blog where I start from essentially nothing to building my very first business. I'll share my journey, process and lessons learned here, and it's going to be a kind of way for me to reflect on myself and to also keep accountability. I'm going to try to post here several times a month but if I can't then it should be at least once a month.

Right now my plan is to become a web design freelancer and start providing some B2B services and I got to thank @Fox's book and his thread here for inspiring me and giving me like a roadmap on what to do for web design. I do want to join Fox Web School and I see it as a great place for me to grow but I currently can't since my dad wouldn't allow me to join since it's still too expensive. (I'm still a 15 year old so I don't have any financial freedom to spend stuff without my parent's permission so while doing this Web Design business I got to spend as little money as possible and also learn for free) So far since the last week when I made the decision to fully commit on this journey I have learned HTML and CSS through some Codecademy courses. Right now I still feel kind of confused and unsure on what to do next but I'll probably try learning JavaScript OR try building some basic websites just to get used with web design. Maybe I could try learning how to build with HTML themes or maybe WordPress? I still am quite unsure on what to do next so if you have any suggestions please do tell me. The dominant thing in mind on what to do now is to probably wait until this Udemy course goes for a discount in a Christmas sale so I could purchase it but that probably won't happen and this is basically entirely based on hope since I am only hoping to get a discount on it. But I think I'll go along with the plan on waiting for the Udemy course to go discount because tomorrow I'm going on a road trip to Bali and I wouldn't be able to bring my laptop and do any of this Fastlane business stuff there for like 2 weeks, so basically for the next 2 weeks I'll be off from doing any productive work or any of that stuff :(. That's basically the only limit of going on for vacations.

My goals for the end of 2023:
- Serve at least 15 clients
- Already be making some good money through web design freelancing
- Have good enough skills on communicating, marketing, and other business skills
- Already be working on a grand business idea that I have right now with some other people.

Monthly Goals:
-Get all the knowledge I can on web design. Everything on HTML themes, WordPress, domains, and any education and knowledge that can help me in web design.
-Read a couple of books on marketing.

I'll try updating this blog as frequent as possible whenever I make progress, mistakes or got a mindset shift and I'll try making it as detailed as possible since it may help some people too. Hope this blog can help other people not do the same mistakes as I will do in the future.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alvaro02

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 4, 2022
Spain
This is going to be a progress thread/blog where I start from essentially nothing to building my very first business. I'll share my journey, process and lessons learned here, and it's going to be a kind of way for me to reflect on myself and to also keep accountability. I'm going to try to post here several times a month but if I can't then it should be at least once a month.

Right now my plan is to become a web design freelancer and start providing some B2B services and I got to thank @Fox's book and his thread here for inspiring me and giving me like a roadmap on what to do for web design. I do want to join Fox Web School and I see it as a great place for me to grow but I currently can't since my dad wouldn't allow me to join since it's still too expensive. (I'm still a 15 year old so I don't have any financial freedom to spend stuff without my parent's permission so while doing this Web Design business I got to spend as little money as possible and also learn for free) So far since the last week when I made the decision to fully commit on this journey I have learned HTML and CSS through some Codecademy courses. Right now I still feel kind of confused and unsure on what to do next but I'll probably try learning JavaScript OR try building some basic websites just to get used with web design. Maybe I could try learning how to build with HTML themes or maybe WordPress? I still am quite unsure on what to do next so if you have any suggestions please do tell me. The dominant thing in mind on what to do now is to probably wait until this Udemy course goes for a discount in a Christmas sale so I could purchase it but that probably won't happen and this is basically entirely based on hope since I am only hoping to get a discount on it. But I think I'll go along with the plan on waiting for the Udemy course to go discount because tomorrow I'm going on a road trip to Bali and I wouldn't be able to bring my laptop and do any of this Fastlane business stuff there for like 2 weeks, so basically for the next 2 weeks I'll be off from doing any productive work or any of that stuff :(. That's basically the only limit of going on for vacations.

My goals for the end of 2023:
- Serve at least 15 clients
- Already be making some good money through web design freelancing
- Have good enough skills on communicating, marketing, and other business skills
- Already be working on a grand business idea that I have right now with some other people.

Monthly Goals:
-Get all the knowledge I can on web design. Everything on HTML themes, WordPress, domains, and any education and knowledge that can help me in web design.
-Read a couple of books on marketing.

I'll try updating this blog as frequent as possible whenever I make progress, mistakes or got a mindset shift and I'll try making it as detailed as possible since it may help some people too. Hope this blog can help other people not do the same mistakes as I will do in the future.
Yo 15, you make me feel old haha

You are going in the right path, I'll recommend working with wordpress, I feel it's faster and you can do more stuff than just html and css, although it's good to know those languages it'll help a lot with web development.

You can try XAMPP it's a free desktop app that comes with a server and database so you can learn wordpress for free in your own pc, search some youtube tutorials to get it done.

And that's it, just keep going learning new stuff everyday, even if you learn something little, it all adds up in the long run.

Hope the best for you and keep posting about your journey yes!

FastlanerDoer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 19, 2022
Indonesia
I'll recommend working with wordpress, I feel it's faster and you can do more stuff than just html and css
Yea I plan to learn it too, just tryin to absorb knowledge about web design as much as I can.

You can try XAMPP it's a free desktop app that comes with a server and database so you can learn wordpress for free in your own pc, search some youtube tutorials to get it done.
I’ll sure check it out and learn more about it once I can get back to work. Thanks for the suggestion bro!

keep posting about your journey yes!
Sure will brother :)

FastlanerDoer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 19, 2022
Indonesia
Damn, it has been quite a long time since I posted. I could finally get back to my work after like 2 and a half week of vacation. I feel quite bad when I got back home yesterday since I haven't made any progress on my web design because I was on vacation. I now just really hope that I could focus back on web design and building a Fastlane business and other goals I have. Currently I still have that kind of post-vacation directionless, like you kind of forgot what you're supposed to do after like a long break, some kind of that feeling. I think it's just the lost of momentum I had that I'm talking about. I'm right now just trying to get the momentum of going back to work again and learning new things about web design and business. So yea basically for the past 2 weeks I didn't do any work, made no progress and I really hope I could now make up for the time lost. Feel kind of bad for the time lost but I now should stop dwelling on the past and start making up for the time lost and start working again.

Very sorry to those of you reading and following this blog who expected some results when I post again, but like this is why I keep posting too. So I could learn from my mistakes and also keep accountability by posting. Now the next major mistake for me and also possibly for you if you're not doing so already is to sit idly and just idle, not doing any work or make any progress to a meaningful goal and purpose. This idleness would lead you to giving up the endeavor because you aren't seeing any visible progress and this is also usually the cause on why I and many people give up on such endeavors. This idleness usually comes from your mental health, lack of direction and discipline. Let's be honest, if we suffer with mental health then of course we won't be doing any good work, and not doing any good work would lead to no visible progress which would lead to idleness. And also it's because we don't want to do the hard work. Business is hard work and a lot of people do not want to do hard work, that's why many people quit. So if you really want to be wealthy and actually go full Fastlane then you better be ready to do the hard work especially when you don't feel like it.

Now time to set some expectations for the next time I post so I could actually have accountability. The next time I would post here I would already be able to:
-Work with WordPress
-Work and test with XAMPP

Why WordPress? Well I surprisingly, just knew that WordPress is actually much more efficient than like just html themes because you could just easily update websites with it and it's also more beginner friendly than HTML. I probably would do both WordPress and HTML in the future since I probably would need to provide HTML services too but I'll just start dabbling with WordPress first and check it out first. Anyways thank you if you've read this far in my blog post, hope you could take something out of this, if you don't well then I'm sorry for wasting your precious time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FastlanerDoer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 19, 2022
Indonesia
Been more than a month and I guess I have seen some little progress with my web design but not at the rate I wanted it to be in.

I feel like I have been quite distracted and inconsistent with the work I'm doing. Distracted by school, events and just general laziness. It feels like I haven't hit the red line for this Fastlane journey yet. I still haven't really NEEDED money or financial freedom right NOW. The moment since I was born, everything was handed to me very easily. Food, shelter, security, money, any basic needs are fulfilled because my parents have been providing to me all this time. Until now, my basic needs are still fulfilled and I don't really need money for now. So why the frick did I made the decision to be on the Fastlane? I still intuitively know that sooner or later I'll be needing money, like really really need money. It also doesn't help that my dad says that he's also having some financial problems currently and that his company's revenue has been going down and down ever since the pandemic started a couple of years ago. So basically soon I'll be in need of money, but I still haven't yet reached the red line where I would be NEEDING to work for money just to survive and get my basic needs checked. What I know is that, if you haven't really needed a thing, you wouldn't put that much effort into it. Right now I still haven't reached the rate of work that I would like to, and I think this is because I haven't really convinced myself that I NEED to have money right now because like every need is checked right now. Your parents are feeding for you and providing for you and you don't even have to do anything for it. All you need to do is go to school everyday, be a good boy and they'll keep on providing for you without you really working for it. Yes I am grateful that my parents have raised me up and everything but I don't think that them consistently providing for you with you doing nothing for it isn't going to help you grow into a man, a responsible person. They'll keep you in your comfort zone, and you'll stay in this comfort zone till you leave the house. This is why I think that for people who are in the process of Fastlane, none should be providing your basic needs without you doing anything in return. And that is why I think that once you're old enough you should just leave your parent's house first to go out to the real world and just actually grabbing your balls and work for your own money and survival. You can leave your parent's house once you go college (if you actually going there) or for other stuff like that, but basically just leave your parent's house so you can be out of your comfort zone of your parent's help and money. This would make you reach the red line and would help you experience the real world, in the real world you're going to have to experience failure and actually would need to work to survive. So yea, if you are old enough, grab your balls and leave your parent's house to find your own money. I'm sure your parents would be grateful that you are taking care of yourself now.

Well now what if I cannot yet leave my parents house yet? Firstly I think that you should just take the time to be grateful to your parents first since they're still working and providing for you, but at the same time, do not be in the comfort zone and be lazy. If you're on the Fastlane progress, what I think is that you got to try and condition your mind to think that you NEED money, that you NEED to work even when you're still young. And also important is that you're going to need a reason for it, the "Why". This can be because that in a few more years you'll be out in the real world with no money so you would want to start making money now, or maybe because your family is currently having financial problems, maybe because you just don't want to go to the 9-5 lifestyle, basically just have an actual reason for why you're doing it and then recondition your mind to think that you REALLY NEED it and to work to it. Just don't fall into the idleness I talked about in the last post, the idleness would really kill the Fastlane process man. I think that as long as you're making consistent progress, maybe even if it's not everyday, or even every week, you're going to be fine if you keep it in your mind always and to always make yourself try working for it whenever you have time. Of course, if you're in the red line already and would need to work to survive, then you're going to be much better off in the Fastlane because you're going to be working and progressing everyday. But for the people who still haven't reached the red line yet, just make sure to make consistent progress, not everyday, and maybe not every week but as long as you keep doing it like at least every month, I think you're still ok. Just try to make an effort to do more work than usual, and just make sure that you're seeing meaningful progress even if it is slow.

Also another advice I would give is don't get distracted. It is simple, but I think a lot of people usually miss this one. They distract their minds a lot with a lot of stuff. This is detrimental when you're working for your business. Checking your phone in between work time would actually decrease the quality of your work by a lot. This is also why you feel super burned out after work. It's just because you're attention is split when you're working and in return you get low quality work. Read Deep Work by Cal Newport to actually just find out more about this, because I think it could really help your work quality.

Now for the report of my progress: So far, I have already been able to work with WordPress and make decent websites with Elementor. I would say that I could already start providing services on Upwork and Fiverr already but, I think I would need some more time to learn a couple of more things before I start trying to work on Upwork. So basically I have set the deadline for me to be just fully ready for work on Upwork to be on 16 February which is just 1 more week to learn more stuff about WordPress and web design before I start providing services. I'll try making another post right after 16 February if I have time so yea. Anyways it's been a long post now and I think I'll be heading for bed now. Thanks to those of you who've read this far, andddd cya later

Carbon45

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 29, 2023
How's the progress going so far? And btw you have to be at least 18 to use Upwork

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.