The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Progress Thread OrangeFirefly

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

OrangeFirefly

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 5, 2011
Hi guys,

This is my first post here, haven't posted an intro but there's not much to say in it either, like most new folks around here I want OUT, had a few "initiatives" in the past, mostly blogs, with one of them I even made more than $10 from some projectwonderful ads lol. I've been trying for some time now to get out, but in hindsight I was only half-hearted into it, didn't really give 100%, almost nobody does, that why so few manage to actually do it. I think at least 99% of people have it in them to succeed, if only they gave their 100%. After finding this forum (which I've been lurking for a while now) and reading MJ's book (which was a real eye opener thanks MJ btw) I got new motivation and I'm sure your (guys') enthusiasm and mentality rubs off on me. But enough of that already.

The idea I'm working on and I intend to "journal' here step by step is an old pet peeve of mine, and that's that "I hate" forums and their clumsy navigation systems. I can't be the only one. So I started working on something to change this. In my dreams, you guys will be reading this forum using my client in the not-so-distant future.

I'm creating this thread here for many purposes, one of which is also to test whether this "public accountability" thing works or not - yeah I know it's just an anonymous account on some internet forum but still it's a part of me. Another purpose is to get your feedback and advice on the project. Since you guys are potential users of the software, another reason is to market it. Another is to get beta testers. And another is that my intuition says so, and I'll own up to being a little our of my comfort zone here writing stuff, but settling in quite nicely lol

Right. So now with the intro and the idea and everything out of the way. Where am I now.

So far I've put about 10-30 hours into it, didn't really keep track. I started to build a proof of concept, to see if the thing stands or not. Goal is to build an outlook-like client for forums.

Coding in C# (for the programmers), parsing HTML from the forum sites. While prototyping I got hit by the idea that obviously the client cannot stand alone, because all forums use different platforms, different themes, so the HTML is different even for the same platform. I would have to manually write code to support each particular forum site out there, and then when that forum upgrades to a new version or changes the theme or whatever, the client would stop working. I had hoped that all platforms would have the same tags or whatever, something I could reuse, so I could only write a client for vBulletin and one for phpBB for example, but it didn't work out. The prototype works, but only with two sites that I wrote code for, and it doesn't work well either.

The client can't stand alone. It needs support on the server side too (this is both an inconvenient, and an opportunity - more on that later). What this means is that each forum admin who wants his forum supported by my client has to upload a piece of code ("the protocol") to his server. I don't have this piece of code.

Apart from the prototype, I've bought a domain and got a wordpress up and running on it, called the prototype "beta" and made it available for download. I won't give the site name just yet because it's the first post and I don't want an IP ban for spamming :D but I'll share it later though it shouldn't be difficult to find even now for whoever is interested, if anyone.

I've (shyly) contacted about 3 forum admins to try and get them into a beta program, two said not interested, one said sounds interesting and then said nothing. Guess I need to first have all the pieces to show someone, before starting cold mailing around. I'm sure the soft brings value, good value, to many users, but it don't bring no value if it don't work, right?

The server side protocol is an inconvenient because I don't know my php that well, and I don't have much time to go through tutorials again click click install this install that configure that, also vBulletin seems to have its own API, another thing to learn. And having job + < 1 yo kid my time on the project is fragmented and little. It's an opportunity because forum admins will see potential value in it, they could (if I do the soft right) charge users for access through the client, or charge them for ad-free access or whatever. Yeah I'm losing on the Control side but I still think it's a worthwhile idea to pursue.

So as I was saying I'm at a stage now where I've figured out that before I "launch" I need to do this client (of which I have an ugly but working prototype) and to implement the server side of the protocol.

OK enough for the first post already, it got longer than I intended, thanks for reading this far. I intend to keep posting daily if I make and progress on that day, if not I'll post whenever there's progress. I hope some people will find this useful, and learn something, as I have learned from other progress threads here too.

Cheers!
O.F.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Could you elaborate more on what you're trying to do? It sounds a lot just like an RSS feed..

OrangeFirefly

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 5, 2011
@Icy yes it sounds just like it. But I haven't found a feed that would serve everything that comes on a forum, every post from every thread. I did find feeds that serve only the first post from a new thread, but not all posts. Maybe I didn't know where to look. Is there such a feed, for example, on this forum?

Besides I have more than just reading posts in mind, I'm thinking drag and drop moderation (split/merge topics), right-click a post and select "ban user IP and delete all posts" etc.

@domular to quote someone, the plan is to come up with a plan. I've been thinking about but I'm not sure what would work best. I'm open to ideas :D For the time being though I'm not too worried about that (lots of work to do before getting there), because even if it's going to be free (I'll most likely have a free version for it or at least a trial), I think there will be value in having a bunch of people using the software and updating automatically, probably I can play something there. Firefox is free, doesn't mean it's worth zero. I think at first, when there's virtually no forums (or very few) supporting the protocol, the price would be low (single digit?), and then as it gains momentum and it snowballs into a big thing I could increase that. I have zero experience in this area, have to learn everything from scratch.

Update-wise, today I started defining the communication protocol for the first version. I'm about 10% through defining it, and about 5% implementing it client side. Server side I have some dummy HTMLs which look like what a real server would respond, so I guess 0% there.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
cold mailing

I think we have a new term for spam:) Plus it sounds ethical. Makes me get ideas right now: "automatic cold mailing sofware - reach millions with one press of a button")

Just kidding, welcome to the forum, and best of luck with your project. It sounds interesting indeed, though I got a bit confused by the end of the post. There already is one extremely cool alternative to forums: Stack Exchange - Free, Community-Powered Q&A,
and there are already many open source alternatives to it.

Btw.you sent 3 emails and got 1 positive reply, which is a very high response rate of 33%. So keep mailing:)

piotrkrzyzek

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 22, 2011
Glenview, IL
Best wishes on the project man! As you said it: "plan is to make a plan!" Right on. Make a plan and stick to it! It'll work out great. Plus, you got all of us cool cats here to help you out.

As for programming, here's an idea for you:

Create the core API (of your project) second. By this I mean, create a kind of sort of working version first as the proof of concept, then build an API so you can just create 'modules' for different sites.

Let's dive into this a bit deeper:

You could have myApp.Parser() class and the myApp.vBulletin() which extends Parser(). Which is all nice and peachy, though the fun part is, NOW you have the base code to extend the framework to fit custom sites!

Got a client/site-owner who has a vB forum with a custom theme and widgets? Not a problem! Toss up a quick new module for them called myNewClientParser which extends the vB module but with a few code tweaks. I know, HTML parsing is a pain in the arse though even most vB forums will have 'some' standard names/styles and even some similar layouts. So all you'll have to do is just create a proper framework which can scrape the basics, and let the custom modules handle the rest.

Best of luck!

OrangeFirefly

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 5, 2011
Thanks guys for your info, support and everything, really appreciate it (and need it :D). This "public accountability" thing seems to do its thing heh.

@FastNAwesome: yeah cold mailing sounds PC right :). Technically it's not evan "mailing" in the standard sense (I wouldn't have their emails...), I just used their contact form if they had one, or register to their forum and PM. So no "click here" button to send to everyone. StackExchange isn't quite what I have in mind. What I have in mind is a _native_ app that you can open instead of the browser, like you'd open Outlook to read email instead of gmail. And there you see all nice and clean, number of new posts, organized in folders (threads, forums) etc, so no more clitzcky clitzcky around in the forum web interface.

@Likwid: Crowd Gather, nice of them to do what they do, but again not quite my thing.

@piotr: thanks for the tips, pretty much that's what I have in mind, only trouble is, as I said, my PHP haxor skillz sucks and then there's the vBulletin API to decipher, hours of tutorials, download this and that, configure etc, with my fragmented time (and recent lack of patience lol - I want this thing out there ASAP), well, I don't like what I foresee. I might have to outsource that in the end, even though I wanted to invest bare minimum money-wise. I have somewhat more time these days by some circumstances, so I'm trying to advance it as much as I can code-wise and not spend time on potential time sinks.

Thanks again guys and now back to work!

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
What I have in mind is a _native_ app that you can open instead of the browser, like you'd open Outlook to read email instead of gmail. And there you see all nice and clean, number of new posts, organized in folders (threads, forums) etc, so no more clitzcky clitzcky around in the forum web interface.

Sounds like newsgroups?

As for having a stand-alone app.. You could just as easily do something online, and that way it would require a single common install (whether you need java or silverlight, or whatever), and would potentially be cross-platform, and would also be portable to a mobile application depending how you write up any server side stuff.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Sounds like newsgroups?

As for having a stand-alone app.. You could just as easily do something online, and that way it would require a single common install (whether you need java or silverlight, or whatever), and would potentially be cross-platform, and would also be portable to a mobile application depending how you write up any server side stuff.

In continuation with this, if you know C# (which I assume you do since you're using it) you can use MVC3, and the server-side code will be your good ol' friendly C#.

It wouldn't be too big of a pain to make it browser based, which in itself has many benefits compared to a standalone application.

piotrkrzyzek

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 22, 2011
Glenview, IL
I know your line of thinking exactly mate. Why pay for coding when I could do it myself right? These days, I think of it like this: do I go learn to make a Wordpress/Joombla theme from PSD's and go into the hours/days potential learning sinkhole or pay a freelancer to do it for me for rather cheap, and then spend that time I now have free doing 'business' side of things?

I choose the biz side.

For programming though, I honestly can't recommend PHP for scraping. I highly suggest, if you really do want to program this yourself, either Python or Ruby (maybe even ruby on rails?) for this project.

If you wanna be a real geek and nerd, you could always code it up with JS and j.Node ;) (and if you do let me know cause that would be really freaking cool).

OrangeFirefly

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 5, 2011
@Talisman, Icy, excellent ideas, I've talked to a friend some time ago and he suggested silverlight too but back then I dismissed it, thought it would take too much time to learn that, but today I took a closer look and it's just plain ol' c#, running in a browser. So yeah I spent the last few hours porting everything to silverlight and what do you know, it still runs on the client. There's nothing needed on the server side, I uploaded it to hostgator and IT JUST WORKS, in browser too. MS claims it works on Mac too, that would be great. It's just like Flash, but instead of Action Script it's the familiar c#. Perfect.

Another advantage running in-browser is that it's a lot easier to monetize. I think some yearly subscription or something could work really well.

@piotr, yeah I know what you're saying. The server-side programming, well, that will probably have to be PHP since the forum admins who want their forum available through this interface will have to have the protocol bits on their end, and there's no guarantee their host supports python, ruby, rails, mvc etc. But PHP will be there for sure, that's what the forum runs on, right.

Now I realize, maybe what I have in mind, I have not made clear enough. So I'll be more specific, how I'm seeing it in my head:

1. You go to my site
2. You type in your forum's address in a text box, say like thefastlaneforum(dot)com/protocol.php, and click "Fetch forum"
3. You see all new forum threads organized nicely in categories in a tree, click and read posts just like in outlook.

Now there wasn't big issue if it were a standalone app (kind like a web browser just for forums), but now forum admins might not like to have their content displayed on another site. So I'm thinking I could also arrange with the forum admins to have the xap hosted on their server, and sell a subscription of some sorts. The possibilities are endless.

Now to the progress part:

1. Made a bullet list of what remains to be done to have v1.0 - to reflect the amount of work until launch campaign
2. Crossed off a couple of things from the list
3. Switched to silverlight - so put the things back on the list and crossed them again

The plan
* Fetch forums (client side) DONE
* Fetch forums (server side)
* Fetch threads (client side) DONE
* Fetch threads (server side)
* Fetch posts (client side)
* Fetch posts (server side)
* Adsense (or other ads) support client + server
* Users can log in to forum sites and are recognized as logged in the app
* If not logged in, fetch the last 24h activity from server
* If logged in, fetch unread stuff
* Mark stuff as read
* Polishing, code TODOs
* Web site work

Thanks for all your input on this.

OrangeFirefly

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 5, 2011
OK friends quick update. Continued work, hit a wall, silverlight apparently doesn't have an HTML control so I have to work around it, that's one more work item on the list. Status:

Cheers all.

* Fetch forums (client side) DONE
* Fetch forums (server side)
* Fetch threads (client side) DONE
* Fetch threads (server side)
* Fetch posts (client side) DONE TODAY
* Fetch posts (server side)
* View posts in HTML <--- new work item
* Adsense (or other ads) support client + server
* Mark stuff as read
* Polishing, code TODOs
* Web site work

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
What I have in mind is a _native_ app that you can open instead of the browser, like you'd open Outlook to read email instead of gmail. And there you see all nice and clean, number of new posts, organized in folders (threads, forums) etc, so no more clitzcky clitzcky around in the forum web interface.

Wow man, that sounds truly awesome, at least to me, from user standpoint.

But, unless I'm missing out something big, why would forum owners get into this? Most forums are ad supported. Ok, maybe you can show ads in your application too, but why would they accept to share this profit?

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
OK friends quick update. Continued work, hit a wall, silverlight apparently doesn't have an HTML control so I have to work around it, that's one more work item on the list.

I haven't fiddled with Silverlight for a couple of years, but I would be surprised if there wasn't a way around this. RichTextBox?

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
I haven't fiddled with Silverlight for a couple of years, but I would be surprised if there wasn't a way around this. RichTextBox?

There definitely is, just now I opened Visual Studio (Web Dev Express), and it's called a 'TextBox' in the toolbox.

OrangeFirefly

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 5, 2011
Thanks for your input fastlaners.

@FastNAwesome yes it sounds awesome because it IS awesome! I want to show ads in the application, but I don't want no share of it if it's on the forum's keywords and content, I don't piggyback on no pig's back.. If it's the ads on my content, then we're talking, but I don't see that happening as I ain't got no content :)

Initially I had something different in mind, but now. Well. Now what I have in mind (for monetization) is this.

* Free for all users who, for example, access only one forum at a time. If they are power forum users, a small subscription for starters (singledigit/year?) because there won't be many features to begin with.

* For forum admins who don't want their content showing up in a "forum aggregator" (nice term btw), they can buy the app and host it themselves, so the user would not come to my site to read their forums but on the forum's site directly. Forum owners could by the app as it will be at that point for some amount, or buy a 1 year subscription (or something) through which they will get all the new versions published within that time. Additionally if they allow their forum aggregated (i.e. power users come to my site to read the forum among other forums in one place, in the same "inbox" organized in folders for each forum) they might get a discount.

If you have other ideas I'm all ears :)

@Talisman, Icy there is unfortunately no way to cleanly display HTML in silverlight. The textbox can't render HTML, it will display the tags as they are <p> <br> and all that. There are some hackish ways around (one of which I implemented tonight), and there's the Infragistics suite which costs only $1.295. The RichTextBox is of another world :) and it won't do either. But thanks for taking the time to look into it.

Now the plan and update. The list just got longer. For every task I cross off, I add a few more. But I've set a new milestone which I hope to reach soon (a few days...)

* Fetch forums (client side) - DONE
* Fetch threads (client side) - DONE
* Fetch posts (client side) - DONE
* View posts in HTML - DONE TODAY
* Fetch threads (server side, phpBB)
* Fetch forums (server side, phpBB)
* Fetch posts (server side, phpBB)
* Polishing, code TODOs
* Web site work
--- DEMO LAUNCH MILESTONE ---
* Fetch threads (server side, vBulletin)
* Fetch forums (server side, vBulletin)
* Fetch posts (server side, vBulletin)
* Adsense (or other ads) support client
* Adsense (or other ads) support server
* Mark stuff as read

vBulletin is the most widely used but I don't have the skills. Will launch new proof of concept with a demo phpBB I'll host right there on site.

It would be a good idea to market it around the time of the demo. I have no idea how to do that. I don't want to spend any money :D As I said I'm open to ideas, thanks.

Cheers!

OrangeFirefly

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 5, 2011
Quick update here friends, today was a good day. Crossed off more than I added:

* View posts in HTML - DONE
* Put up a phpBB for demo (new work item) - DONE TODAY
* Fetch threads (server side, phpBB) - DONE TODAY
* Fetch forums (server side, phpBB) - DONE TODAY
* Fetch posts (server side, phpBB) - DONE TODAY
* Polishing, code TODOs
* Put up mailing list (new work item)
* Web site work
--- DEMO LAUNCH MILESTONE ---
* Mark stuff as read

Soon :smxB:

OrangeFirefly

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 5, 2011
Almost done here guys... almost done. Well, the first milestone, that is. It would've been done already but:

Last evening I was doing my stuff, had finished most coding and went to do web site work. And what do I notice, that when I click the RSS button, it takes me to some survey to win a mac, an ipod and whatever. That's right, I was hacked. No idea how they did it. Anyways, it took me hours to clean up, and reinstall, reconfigure wordpress and everything, went to bed at 4 AM, woke up at 8, full of energy (really) and continued work.

IT WAS DONE! Then I click the RSS feed, you know, just in case. Guess what. Again. Damb! Changed ftp and cpanel password, deleted wordpress and installed again. .htaccess looks clean, I have no idea how they do it. I took a backup when it was working, taking another one now, hopefully I can diff and find out something. Must be some wordpress plugin. Or the phpbb I'm using for demo. Or my app? :pissed:

Soon...

OrangeFirefly

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 5, 2011
OK, so this is taking too long already. I've figured out that if I disable a plugin, the problem is gone. So I disabled that, and asked on the wordpress forum for help. In the meantime, the site is UP and RUNNING.

I'd like to invite you to have a look. Just a reminder how this all started and what you will find there: a better way to read the internet forums (and I assure you that's an understatement :D). Without further ado :) Orange Firefly

If you do take a look, please let me know what you think. Would you like to read this forum, and other forums you read through such an interface? How about having them all in one place, in the same browser tab, under different nodes in the tree? What do you like and dislike about the website? Would you pay a small subscription to access some "power features" (like, maybe, see only the unread posts, ability to post from within the client, ad-free, etc)?

Thanks a lot in advance.

As for what's been going on, besides the long hours of de-hacking:

* View posts in HTML - DONE
* Put up a phpBB for demo (new work item) - DONE
* Fetch threads (server side, phpBB) - DONE
* Fetch forums (server side, phpBB) - DONE
* Fetch posts (server side, phpBB) - DONE
* If not logged in, fetch max 20 topics per forum and 20 posts per topic - DONE since last update
* Polishing, code TODOs - DONE since last update
* Put up mailing list (new work item) - DONE since last update
* Web site work - DONE since last update
--- DEMO LAUNCH MILESTONE --- <-- WE ARE HERE
* Cold mailing (lol) forum admins, try to get them to subscribe to the newsletter (this will probably be an ongoing activity) (new work item)
* Mark stuff as read

I'm taking the rest of the day off :smxF:

Have a fantastic weekend, everybody!
O.F.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.