The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Progress Thread: Losing Weight

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
I know you are past this stage but someone might find useful. I really like it!2012-10-23-fry.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
That was awesome :) thanks for sharing!
Yeah I discovered the website from someone elses post on here and they have some really great comics. I saved a few of the ones that meant something to me.

CoachIke

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 8, 2016
Chicago, IL
The mindsets and beliefs I learned in the short time since I finally got my lazy a$$ up and started working on my journey to the Fastlane, helped me realize one big thing: those mindsets and beliefs can be used for more than just my journey to the Fastlane, while still supporting it.

Yep I am talking about losing weight, and getting fit.

Back in 2011 my weight was at about 194lbs (88kg for the European guys), over the next 2 years I gained about 55lbs (25kg). You can actually say I went from looking decent to shitty in 2 years.

I could tell you an endless list of reasons I gained the weight, and another list of reasons why I never lost it. But not one of those "reasons" would be anything else than BS excuses.

One of the reasons I'm doing this thread, is that it helps me to stay accountable and committed. I am not happy with my weight at the moment, so I want to change it. And it will support my journey to the Fastlane. Achieving this goal has the power to show me, that something that always seemed so far from possible can be done. Plus it has the power to make me feel better and happy, which of course also supports my journey.

Alright, I hope you can get some motivation of this thread, I will update it on a regular basis with my weight and what I do to lose it.

I started 2 weeks ago, with a starting weight of 255,74lbs (116kg), lost 3,30lbs (1,5kg) the first week and 2,20lbs (1kg) last week and am now at 250,00lbs (last friday).

I've been there. Keep your head up. Think about a year or two down the road any time you want to give up. Most people have such a short term view they give up in this arena.
Cut sugar, eat meats and plants and pretty soon you will be noticing results. I'd say do cardio intervals and lift heavy. Keep it to 3 days a week. I've written a book on this and coach people on it but will gladly post specifics if needed but I don't think it's really that complicated.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Alright, time for an update and I'm proud to be able to say that it's the first positive one in a while :)

A few weeks ago, after he posted in here and offered his help, I got in contact with @Belcher. Long story short, this guy's the reason for the following numbers. He gave me a real plan to live by, not some type of short time diet or empowering words, nah, he gave me something real to work with. Out of respect to him I won't disclose the plan he spent time on to create for me. Without giving too much away, its purpose is to get my metabolism firing with a mix of new dieting habits and sport. Thank you, good sir :tiphat:

Anyway here are the numbers.

Starting weight (1): 116kg (256lbs) starting weight of this thread
Starting weight (2): 113.5 (250lbs) weight when first applying Belcher's help
Current weight: 108,2kg (239lbs)
Weight loss: (1) 7.8kg (17.20lbs) and (2) 5.3kg (11,68lbs)

Still a way to go, but damn it feels good to be moving.

For the case that someone's following this thread who'd like to lose weight or is currently in the progress of doing so, I came along an interesting topic on Reddit, in which formerly fat people talk about how things changed after losing weight. Maybe it's just me, but there's no motivational quote or powerful words that could compete with the power of connecting emotions to a goal. Like knowing your WHY. Reading how it felt to be finally losing anything from 20-100 pounds and what changed during the process gave me a depth of emotional connection to this goal, that no quote or anything could've ever done. Here's the link to it: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/3l5n1u/seriousformerly_fat_people_of_reddit_what_is_the/

Last edited:

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
Weight loss: (1) 7.8kg (17.20lbs) and (2) 5.3kg (11,68lbs)
Nice one! Btw ever heard of dietbet? Its this website where bets are made against weight loss and if the target is reached=£££. I think its a pretty sweet game and helps with the journey. I think there are monthly challenges and 6-monthly challenges to be played.

tchombo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jan 15, 2016
London, UK
i am really glad you made the connection between fitness and your fastlane journey. i personally went through the weight journey first and just like fastlane i learnt that you need
  • Discipline - this is getting up and going to the gym when you body says no. saying no foods you clearly know aren't good for but taste amazing lol
  • Honestly - when you exercise you can cheat, in fact your body naturally wants to as it acts like an efficient machine and therefore does not like pain so you may chat with form especially then you learn soon that... you are simply cheating yourself. and some will go as far eating all the junk when no one is watching. who suffers in the end though?
  • Humble - as soon as you walk into the gym you may see these dudes lifting it real heavy and making hella noise. this is fine but then you remind yourself you probably need to grab the smallest weight, not because you are weak but because you want to get the form right then work your way up because bad form can mess up all kinds of stuff.
  • Commitment - it may take anything from a few weeks to 3 years depending in the amount of work and your targets. you have to prepare for that
  • Self-Motivation - i learnt that you cant always rely on "someone" talking you into getting fit. the best way to self motivate is to see the future. I tend to remind myself that if i had started 3 years ago when my friend started i could have been a beast. but instead i had excuses. so i then imagine 3 years from now and realize... i don't want this regret again 3 years later, instead i want to have reached my targets
Remember wanting to be fit is the idea. and its useless, everyone would have abs if it was easy. its the execution that matters the most... the work you put in and all that self-discipline

One last thing i have learnt is this... if you work hard enough, you always get your reward. your sacrifices will not go in vain especially with fitness. here is a quote from Will Smith

“The only thing that I see that is distinctly different about me is I'm not afraid to die on a treadmill. I will not be out-worked, period. You might have more talent than me, you might be smarter than me, you might be sexier than me, you might be all of those things you got it on me in nine categories. But if we get on the treadmill together, there's two things: You're getting off first, or I'm going to die. It's really that simple, right?"
if you bundle up all this, it does not take a genius to realize that once you master this mindset, the skills are very much transferable.

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
What's your end goal? How are you approaching your weight-loss-journey?

End goal is 88-90kg (194-198lbs). So a weight loss of about 25kg (55lbs).

I switched to eating 6 times a day, eating pretty clean (chicken, broccoli, asparagus, etc.) plus hitting the gym at least 3 times a week, doing weight lifting.

#nowhere

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 29, 2016
Germany
End goal is 88-90kg (194-198lbs). So a weight loss of about 25kg (55lbs).

I switched to eating 6 times a day, eating pretty clean (chicken, broccoli, asparagus, etc.) plus hitting the gym at least 3 times a week, doing weight lifting.

With that pattern you will definitely reach your goal. If you manage to keep track.

At a point in my journey I found it too stressful. Switched to intermittent fasting, with workout- and non-workout-days seperated in regards of nutrition.

Btw: How tall are you?

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
With that pattern you will definitely reach your goal. If you manage to keep track.

At a point in my journey I found it too stressful. Switched to intermittent fasting, with workout- and non-workout-days seperated in regards of nutrition.

Btw: How tall are you?

Thanks!

I'm 1.83m (6ft).

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
How are you feeling day to day?

Do you still have a libido?

I ask because that is one thing that many people lose when they cut down weight (or just eat below what there body burns for the day)

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
How are you feeling day to day?

Do you still have a libido?

I ask because that is one thing that many people lose when they cut down weight (or just eat below what there body burns for the day)

Nah didn't notice anything yet. I'm feeling pretty good on a day to day basis tbh.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
@Supa You lost ~8 kg starting from September, that's ~8 months, so 1 kg/month. You should crank up your metabolism and increase your weight loss in a shorter time. I believe you can go at least twice as fast.

Hit the gym at least 4 times a week. Focus on heavy lifts, 10-12 reps, compound exercises (also lower body) and do a short cardio session after every workout (~20 min).
Even while you have to lift heavy, your main focus is losing body fat right now, not gaining muscle. Do some 30 min cardio twice a week in the morning with an empty stomach. Just take some BCAAs before. Take a cold shower afterwards. I really really hate this too, F*ck. But this gives me an energy boost for the entire day.
Make sure you have to go to "the big toilet" at least once a day.
Don't cheat during the week. Just don't buy crap food. It's good you have 6 lean meals!
Don't make the mistake by thinking that you can eat what you want as long as you exercise. It's a big fat (no pun) lie. You will make the difference in the Küchen.

Good luck!

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
@Supa You lost ~8 kg starting from September, that's ~8 months, so 1 kg/month. You should crank up your metabolism and increase your weight loss in a shorter time. I believe you can go at least twice as fast.

Hit the gym at least 4 times a week. Focus on heavy lifts, 10-12 reps, compound exercises (also lower body) and do a short cardio session after every workout (~20 min).
Even while you have to lift heavy, your main focus is losing body fat right now, not gaining muscle. Do some 30 min cardio twice a week in the morning with an empty stomach. Just take some BCAAs before. Take a cold shower afterwards. I really really hate this too, F*ck. But this gives me an energy boost for the entire day.
Make sure you have to go to "the big toilet" at least once a day.
Don't cheat during the week. Just don't buy crap food. It's good you have 6 lean meals!
Don't make the mistake by thinking that you can eat what you want as long as you exercise. It's a big fat (no pun) lie. You will make the difference in the Küchen.

Good luck!

Sorry if my post was a bit misleading.
I started this thread and my initial weight loss journey back in September 2015. If you follow along the thread you'll se some ups and downs, lost weight, gained it back, held my weight, and so on.

I wasn't following a plan or anything, just changed my dieting habits a bit and did some sport back then, but neglected both from time to time. I lost some weight and went from my starting weight 116kg (255lbs) down to about 111kg (244lbs) and after some ups and downs I was back to 113.5kg (250lbs) right before Belcher and me got in contact.

I started applying his plan and tips in early April 2016 and lost 5.3kg (11.68lbs) since doing so.

So yeah, actually I lost 8kg (17,64lbs) in about 8 months. But that's not how I see it. What's important to me is what I lost since I started applying Belcher's advice and that's a pretty good number so far, in my opinion :)

Edit to add: another great source of motivation: https://www.reddit.com/r/progresspics/?count=26&before=t3_4mkm0i

Last edited:

Belcher

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 24, 2016
Australia
You're making great progress my man! All credit goes to you for actually applying everything! That takes a lot of will power!

Looking forward to seeing where you're at 6 months down the track. Will be here to help you every step of the way :)

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
You're making great progress my man! All credit goes to you for actually applying everything! That takes a lot of will power!

Looking forward to seeing where you're at 6 months down the track. Will be here to help you every step of the way :)

You have to take some credit bro, without you I wouldn't know shit about what to do :)

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Wow, didn't realize that my last update is THAT long ago... let me give you guys an update on my journey :)

In my last update my weight was at 108,2kg (239lbs). Well, shortly after that I hit a stage in weight loss that I didn't know before I entered this journey: the plateau.

That's probably the phase where most people, including me in the past, give up. And I didn't know that that's actually a thing that got a name and that others experience it aswell, I always thought it's just me. For those of you that don't know what a plateau is, basically it means that you reach a point in your weight loss after losing some weight, where your weight stays at a specific point and doesn't go down no matter what you do.

For me that phase lasted for about 3 weeks.

If I remember it right it started end of June when I reached a weight of 107,6kg (237,22lbs) and that damn number didn't go down for 3 freaking weeks no matter how much I hit the gym and stayed to my diet regimen. On some days it would even bounce up a bit, then bounce down again, but never below that number.

Because I knew of this phase in weight loss, thanks to several weight loss journey stories on reddit, I knew it was kinda normal and just kept doing what I knew is right, ignoring that number on the scale to some degree. It was still frustrating, but that frustration disappeared quite fast when I got the first compliments by friends I didn't see in a while. I won't lie, that definitely helped to ignore the scale and stay happy with my weight loss journey.

Then after about 3 weeks, early into my 2 week vacation I checked the scale and holy shit, my weight dropped down to 105kg (231,49lbs)!

It felt amazing.

In that vacaction I mentioned above, I met a girl. Long story short: we are together now. And I gotta be honest I kinda lost some motivation to hit the gym as regularly and to follow the diet regimen as I used to BUT thanks to Belcher and his diet regimen I learned to count my calories and therefore I at least managed to keep my weight between 104kg (229,28lbs) and 105kg (231,49lbs) for the next few weeks after my vacation (I decided to take a pause of my diet and sport in the vacation).

I still lost some more weight, though. Not as much as I probably could with hitting the gym as often and eat as proper as I used to, but yeah it still goes down, slowly but it does.

Alright, here are the numbers:

Starting weight (2): 113,5kg (250lbs) weight when first applying Belcher's help
Current weight: 101,5kg (223,77lbs)
Weight loss: (1) 14,5kg (31,97lbs) and (2) 12kg (26,46lbs)

Last edited:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
@Supa Great work on finding a companion, and sticking to your goals. It's true that the motivation to get fit drops when you enter a romantic relationship, but you gotta push through this.

I encourage you to go one step further and count macronutrients instead of calories and focus on your body fat % instead of scale weight.

Over time you'll learn how the various macros affect your composition, and you'll learn there are tricks for cutting scale weight quickly and safely ( by carb cycling ).

Either way, your progress is great. Keep it up!

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
@Supa Great work on finding a companion, and sticking to your goals. It's true that the motivation to get fit drops when you enter a romantic relationship, but you gotta push through this.

I encourage you to go one step further and count macronutrients instead of calories and focus on your body fat % instead of scale weight.

Over time you'll learn how the various macros affect your composition, and you'll learn there are tricks for cutting scale weight quickly and safely ( by carb cycling ).

Either way, your progress is great. Keep it up!

Actually, the relationship is another reason for motivation, since I'd like to be my best me, and therefore I need to feel good with myself.

Thanks for the tips :)

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Finally back to following Belcher's advice on how to eat every day for the last 2 weeks, also still hitting the gym 3 times a week.

Achieved one of my biggest goals: below 100kg

New numbers:
Current weight: 99,5kg (219,36lbs)
Weight loss: (1) 16,5kg (36,64lbs) and (2) 14kg (30,64lbs)

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Finally back to following Belcher's advice on how to eat every day for the last 2 weeks, also still hitting the gym 3 times a week.

Achieved one of my biggest goals: below 100kg

New numbers:
Current weight: 99,5kg (219,36lbs)
Weight loss: (1) 16,5kg (36,64lbs) and (2) 14kg (30,64lbs)

Crazy to see the last update on my weight loss progress in this thread and it being when I finally got below 100kg.

Let's update this now, shall we?

Starting weight: 116kg (256lbs)
Current weight: 92kg (203lbs)
Weight loss: 24kg (53lbs)
Goal weight: 83kg (183lbs)

As a reference my height: 1,83m (6')

What I do: CiCo
CiCo
is Calories In Calories Out and basically means, you measure what calories you take in and what calories you burn. To lose weight you need to take in less calories than you burn, to gain weight you need to take in more calories than you burn.
I use an app called YAZIO (there are others like MyFitnessPal that do the same) to track what I eat and drink on a day, aiming at a caloric deficit of 500 calories. For me that means taking in 2000 calories per day, more depending on how much extra calories I burn, like with exercise or steps. I also do strength training usually 3 times a week.

My best constant weight since starting this weight loss (I'm not counting one time lower weights that may have resulted from eating less the day before) was around 87kg (192lbs) with a weight loss of 29kg (64lbs) from my starting weight of this thread. But lately I've gained some, not completely sure though how much of it is muscle or water, since my current average caloric intake per month is around 2500 calories, which would result in maintaining weight, so hopefully some of it is muscle? :smile:

That's it for this update. Hope you all have a great day!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.