The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

PROGRESS THREAD: CVentures1B12

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
Just found this sub-forum! Pretty cool way to stay accountable with myself and you guys too.

Let's see...let's start with where I am.

1 rental property pumping out $150 in cash flow every month. Tutoring company making nothing since it was just opened for business a few days ago...but as of a week ago, we are fully operational (website, tutors, etc.). Also, doing some freelance website design for about $500 per site (not including any expenses, domain purchases, etc.).

Now...for the progress.

Real Estate:
Signed the tenant of the rental property for another year. That is good but too slow for me. I don't plan on selling the property as long as it is doing so well, but I decided to back seat my real estate ventures for something a bit easier on the wallet. For now, it's paying for itself many times over so I'll let that keep cruising.

Academy of Creative Education:
Now time to get clients! My partner deals with the tutors and I deal with the business side of things.
-First off has been a marketing campaign with a goal of no money at all put into it. I am working out a deal right now with Groupon to be featured around January, 2011. A while away, but by then we will have enough tutors to support a lot of new customers.
-Currently developing a flyer/one-pager to hand out to prospects and also around the town to businesses/place where people gather.
-We currently have 3 tutors waiting in the wing. All trained up, checked on and qualified.
-We currently have one family running as a "focus group" sort of exercise. After three lessons with their son, his grades have improved drastically and they want to start paying for him and their daughter also.
-Working on a press release, also. Not sure how it works but I have talked to a friend who does these all the time and knows the right people to contact.

Website design:
-This is slowlane, I admit, but I am taking the opportunity to learn how to actually build websites and get people to pay me for training myself, haha. I am building one for a friend of a friend. From there, I'll decide if its worth my time.

I LOVE TOUGH LOVE!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
Long time since an update...but it's not for lack of DOING!

Real estate: Nothing doing here...took a back seat to tutoring company. Tenant is flawless. Never hear from her and get a check 5 days before the end of the month...like clockwork.

Website design: Had to fire my first customer! They were unresponsive for 4 months regarding their suggested designs. When I did get a hold of them they said things like "you are the expert, just make it look good." Well...once everything was done, they threw a fit were extremely overbearing and rude. Insulting everything that we did. Anyway, basically it was consulting so we decided to finish the project (basically send them the access info) and get the hell outta dodge! It was kind of liberating to not HAVE to take their money. They were very humbled, to say the least.

Tutoring: This is where it gets fun!

After implementing a Groupon, got a snag and got our first customer! 2 sessions and she is already seeing improvements in her schoolwork. Currently working with a local company with the same model as Groupon, just a different pricing structure where the merchant makes more money. Lots of upsides: more money AND their target market are suburban moms...which also just so happen to be OUR target market.

Had 4-5 meetings with, and subsequently got on-board, professors and various educational experts around the Nashville area. Forming a network, but most importantly an "advisory" board. These people have agreed to come to meetings with us or anything they need to do to help us grow! Once meetings with private schools begin, we will be tapping this resource.

Last but definitely not least, worked a connection and got in with Belmont University's SIFE program (Students in Free Enterprise). They are currently working with an inner-city school to raise graduation rates. After pitching our service, they have agreed to implement our techniques at their school! Think of it as the "philanthropic" arm of the Academy of Creative Education. This will not only get us involved with the community but also provide a great marketing tool by partnering with SIFE. Once they see graduation rates rising, we can share the credit! Not to mention the resources to which the SIFE program has access.

Onwards and upwards!

JC

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
Alright! Movin and shakin!

January 18th was my last post and we had one customer...Today is February 10th and now we are up to 5! Already booked about $450 in revenue! Growing this solely by a local "Groupon"-like company called Qponday. Also, by word of mouth. Currently working on getting some feedback from the mothers about referral programs: what they would like, discount, rewards, etc.

The inner city school that we are developing curriculum for is already seeing improvements in their homework and test scores. Another great feeling is when, after only 2 sessions, the mother of one of your students calls you and says "I just want to let you know that his teacher came up to me after school today and asked what I was doing...he has done a complete 180 in class and is doing so well now!"

Onwards and upwards!

JC

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
Well done JC, keep it coming!

A few questions/suggestions:

Do you have a website up for your tutoring business? I think that web presene and marketing could help you.

In addition, did you think about using tutoring search websites? Places like wyzant.com etc.
They are usually for independent tutors, but I am sure that you can utilizie them as online marketing in some way (having your tutors sign up there under your company etc).

+speed for moving and shaking!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
Wow! It really has been a loooong time since I have updated. Whups...but don't take that as lack of action :)

A few things that have happened since my last update:

1) I married my best friend and the most beautiful woman in the world. She has supported everything that I do from Day 1, unconditionally. Best decision I ever made.
2) More than doubled revenue and we are now at about 20 students across the city. Employing just at 10 tutors as sub-contractors at $20 per hour. Flexible schedules, pretty solid pay...they love it!
3) Opened up a new market segment that I'll be tapping August. Professional development for teachers/administrators. I'll be giving seminars to about 5-6 of the local elementary faculty at the end of the summer which accomplishes 2 great things: A) sets me up as the expert and B) gets me in front of a ton of teachers in a short amount of time (teachers have been the best source of referrals so far).

Thats the short of it. We are getting some traction slowly but we are getting there! It's getting to a point that I may have to consider getting some help. We are getting a lot of calls and "initial consultations" and my time is becoming very strained. The problem is, as I figure for most of you is, control. I want to be able to have someone represent me and my company as best as I possibly can. Thoughts?

JC

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.