The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Progress] The Glory of Johnny boy

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I’ve been overthinking this sh!t for years. Don’t be like me.

Connect customers to business.

Bring old, slow industries online.

Reduce the friction of them acquiring customers.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Just landed a 3k client from posting ads on craigslist for website design and marketing consulting. I will be doing this freelancing in Thailand all December.

Making money isn't reinventing the wheel, more like hopping into an already existing game of double dutch.

The decamillions and billions take some creativity, but not just making some good cash. That's just about not choosing something stupid like having a job.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Just landed a 3k client from posting ads on craigslist for website design and marketing consulting. I will be doing this freelancing in Thailand all December.

Making money isn't reinventing the wheel, more like hopping into an already existing game of double dutch.

The decamillions and billions take some creativity, but not just making some good cash. That's just about not choosing something stupid like having a job.
I thought you were more into other kind of business. Are you planning to keep freelancing, or is just for some cash for the trip and/or not getting too bored after a week? Also, do you have the website design skills, or are you planning to outsource it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JWM

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 14, 2018
Australia

Nice work, what was your point of difference or value proposition. I imagine craigslist would be a competitive space?

And enjoy the trip to Thailand

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I thought you were more into other kind of business. Are you planning to keep freelancing, or is just for some cash for the trip and/or not getting too bored after a week? Also, do you have the website design skills, or are you planning to outsource it?
we don't mow lawns in the winter. Johnny needs more crews.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Nice work, what was your point of difference or value proposition. I imagine craigslist would be a competitive space?

And enjoy the trip to Thailand
We post a lot of ads nationwide and call ourselves a firm.

No value prop really. The entire business from idea to finished site and posted ads took me 4 hours in a coffee shop. It's a sole prop and my buddy is the salesman.

Least competitive space there is. Cost per client acquisition is around $50 worth of ads at most.

Y'all sleepin on CL, I think people are crazy for it. More for me.

Last edited:

Benji90

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Nov 3, 2019

Ah man take me to Thailand with you! I hate the cold.

On a serious note, have a good time, send some beach pics.

JWM

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 14, 2018
Australia
We post a lot of ads and call ourselves a firm. Least competitive space there is. Cost per client acquisition is around $50 worth of ads at most. Y'all sleepin.
Very nice, we don't use craigslist in Australia but have similar platforms, may be worh experimenting. and is web design your primary business?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Very nice, we don't use craigslist in Australia but have similar platforms, may be worh experimenting. and is web design your primary business?
No I run a lawn care company. I need more crews. Hoping investors pull through but if not I'll bootstrap it by building sites this winter. This is my favorite side hustle of all time.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
What are your thoughts on shoveling? Too sporadic?
It snows for 3 days a year here on a random schedule. Maybe December...maybe February.

My focus is more valuable being spent in other areas than shoveling snow.

+ it sucks

+ I cant do it in Thailand on a beach in 90 degree weather. I can’t stand the damn cold.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas

Nice man. I just took the leap too from my job.

Would love to hear about your Craigslist strategy. I’m sure OP would too.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Nice man. I just took the leap too from my job.

Would love to hear about your Craigslist strategy. I’m sure OP would too.
Here's an ad we posted

our website link is in the post

We post to big cities in america at a rate of about 1-2 a day. $5-$10 a day....

When you reach out to us, my "account coordinator" works with you and when you finally sign up, you start working with your very own "account manager" (me).

We only do wordpress, shopify or wix type sites. The marketing consulting is essentially regurgitating Gary Vaynerchuck. It's pretty good stuff anyways. I have no idea how to code. Only how to sell. And boy can we sell.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Ah man take me to Thailand with you! I hate the cold.

On a serious note, have a good time, send some beach pics.
Definitely. tickets were $385 there from Seattle. Heading to India for a rickshaw run (look it up) in january and flying directly there from Thailand. If I have enough money for adding another crew for my lawn care biz and have some left over, I'll stay on a beach somewhere until mid February.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Here's an ad we posted

When you reach out to us, my "account coordinator" works with you and when you finally sign up, you start working with your very own "account manager" (me).

We only do wordpress, shopify or wix type sites. The marketing consulting is essentially regurgitating Gary Vaynerchuck. It's pretty good stuff anyways. I have no idea how to code. Only how to sell. And boy can we sell.
Very nice. Would you put "Google Ads" into your keyword footer?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Haha. Op's first progress thread turned into a surprise @Johnny boy progress thread.

@Icecreamchild if you want to see how you can just take an idea and turn it into something explosively checkout: NOTABLE! - Starting a lawn care service business
Lol

hasn’t exploded yet. Doing just fine though for the first year. I had a hell of a summer.
Just wanted to let @Icecreamchild know that they can make a nice 5k a month bonus from their laptop without having to reinvent the wheel.

SkyLake

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Nov 29, 2016
Maybe I missed it, so you will outsource it? Fiverr or something like that?

He executes and gets sales. He can outsource or hire someone to do the coding. That's what Gary Vaynerchuck does, or 99% of CEOs.

Aurelius

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Oct 1, 2019
Here's an ad we posted

First thing I noticed on your ad is that you use a lots of “We”. That makes you very bussiness-centric rather than customer-centric. Try to do a little copywriting on your ad, replace those “we” with “you”s, and see the magic happen. “You” is a trigger word, you look like bringing more value for them just by using this very simple word.

Good luck!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
First thing I noticed on your ad is that you use a lots of “We”. That makes you very bussiness-centric rather than customer-centric. Try to do a little copywriting on your ad, replace those “we” with “you”s, and see the magic happen. “You” is a trigger word, you look like bringing more value for them just by using this very simple word.

Good luck!
How is YOUR web design and marketing consulting firm doing?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Here's an ad we posted

Have you outsourced sales to handle calls, emails, etc? Or are you pretty available most of the time to handle it?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Have you outsourced sales to handle calls, emails, etc? Or are you pretty available most of the time to handle it?
I pay my best friend 50% of profits just to deal with customers and sales and sending the quotes, contracts and invoices.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Well F*ck me maybe you should’ve posted more than one sentence in your thread.

There’s valuable advice that’s been shared so far. You’d be better off to take it.

Otherwise #landfill

Icecreamchild

Contributor
X MODERATED X
Nov 13, 2019
Well F*ck me maybe you should’ve posted more than one sentence in your thread.

There’s valuable advice that’s been shared so far. You’d be better off to take it.

Otherwise #landfill

I thought I should create a new thread for my journey.
So I changed the title of this thread.
Not to offend anyone.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I thought I should create a new thread for my journey.
So I changed the title of this thread.
Go for it. But we still have no idea what you’re doing so please elaborate in the new thread so we can help.

I’m interested to know what digital assets are.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.