The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[PROGRESS] How I Got Fired (and why it was one of the best day of my life)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Marcin MS

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 10, 2019
Warsaw
Alright... I've been lurking long enough so it's time for a progress thread.

A week ago I've been fired from a Digital Marketing company I worked for over 2 years, as a Head of eCommerce. Reason? I wanted to be transparent with my CEO about my nearest future. I told her that with another two ex-employees we'll be starting an eCommerce Agency. As you can imagine she didn't take it easy. One week after my 'news' I got a termination paper.

The day I've been fired was very eye-opening for me. At the moment, I've been re-reading UNSCRIPTED by @MJ DeMarco, and all the truths he spoke were SO VISIBLE, like never before. I also felt a lot of gratitude for being able to notice this. What is more, I realized that something I was postponing because of the comfy life became an obsession now. Starting a business to get my life back is not an option, it's my duty.

My long-term goal: Live an UNSCRIPTED Life.

My idea is to:

1/ Start an eCommerce agency (this is something I'm really good at) --> 2/ launch my own eCommerce brand --> 3/ launch online courses about starting/scaling up eCommerce.

My Q2 goal: Acquire 2 new clients (I already acquired 2 clients)

My why:

1/I grew up in a poor family. I lived in one room with my parents and my brother. I never want to experience such conditions in my life.
2/ I already started a business and failed (I got 200k from Angel Investors). They told me that I would never start a successful business (F*ck them),
3/ I got fired because of being fair and transparent (despite the fact that I've made a lot of money for this company and worked long hours). Now I felt on my skin that working for someone else is always a bad plan.
4/ I want to be able to achieve my dreams.

Why starting this thread?

1/ If some of you would like to start a similar business, hopefully, you will be able to use it as a blueprint,
2/ Discuss with you problems & challenges along the way,
3/ Document the journey for my future self and as a way to motivate me for pushing harder each day.

In upcoming days I will publish how I acquired the first 2 clients and what is my plan to get an additional 2 clients.

Cheers!

P.S It's really good to be on the 'better' side!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

refrus22

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 13, 2019
Southwest-Germany
Hello Marcin,

thanks for letting us take part and good luck to you.

Do you already know which kind of eCommerce product you're looking to sell for step 2? ("2/ launch my own eCommerce brand ")

Minus9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Aug 30, 2018
I understand why your previous boss would react this way - your plan is to establish an ecommerce agency which makes you a direct competitor with them. I wouldn't keep you either because your plan is to quit anyways, so I would look for somebody else to replace you so I can think long-term.

Good luck with your agency though!

Marcin MS

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 10, 2019
Warsaw
Hello Marcin,

thanks for letting us take part and good luck to you.

Do you already know which kind of eCommerce product you're looking to sell for step 2? ("2/ launch my own eCommerce brand ")

Hey!

thanks for taking your time to reply!

I'm in the middle of creating my 'Perfect eCommerce Checklist' :)

For now I have to see the potential to scale this business in digital (since it's my area of expertise). In order to spot this opportunity I look for:

1/ Facebook Pixel. Did they implement it? What kind of events do they track? How their funnel looks like?
2/ Email Marketing. Do they have automated flows implemented? What type of software do they use? MailCheat(Chimp) or Klaviyo?
3/ UX/UI of the store. Are there any quick wins and opportunities? Do they incentivise people with free shipping, etc.?
4/ Do they have any marketing strategy in place? How do they run promo campaigns?

Besides I will be looking for:

1/ Flagship product with good $ margin. I want to make sure that I can spend some money on acquiring new clients.
2/ Product-market-fit. This is crucial. I want to make sure that this product is unique, and clients really love it.
3/ Operations and Logistics. I still need to do my homework here. I want to make sure that once I'll buy this store, the operations can handle 2,3 times growth.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Marcin MS

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 10, 2019
Warsaw
I understand why your previous boss would react this way - your plan is to establish an ecommerce agency which makes you a direct competitor with them. I wouldn't keep you either because your plan is to quit anyways, so I would look for somebody else to replace you so I can think long-term.

Good luck with your agency though!

Totally agreed! I told her the very same thing. :) Thanks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.