• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Productivity Progress

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by Tubs, May 2, 2019.

1. Tubs

Tubs You'll never see it coming Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $267
    I've realized for a while now that I'm not nearly not as productive as I need to be to succeed. Ever since I can remember I would half a$$ school assignments, finish important work at the last possible minute, procrastinate, and waste my time away doing useless crap like browsing the internet or watching youtube videos.
    But really enough is enough. I need to build a strong work ethic so I can realize my goals. That's what this thread is about.

I've been making half-assed attempts to improve my work ethic for years now, sometimes to a bit of success, but never to a point where I could honestly say I was reaching a good level of productivity. But now I recognize that I need to put my all into my current project and to do that I need to maximize my productivity. That's what this thread is for. Each evening I'm gonna post how I used my time during the day, what I got done, what I did right, what I did wrong, and how I'm going to improve it. I'm using 'Deep Work' by Cal Newport as my guide to getting the most productivity out of the time I invest in this.

Getting this started now.

5/2/2019 --- Day 1---

The results of today were what caused me to start this thread, so this is before implementing any productivity methods. Think of it as a baseline for what my productivity is starting out.

Today I did a bit of research into how to setup a database I need for my project, but it was generally an unfocused search and I only took away a little bit of knowledge from it.
    ~30 mins

Had a specific portion of the project that I wanted to program today. Found some tutorials on how to implement something similar to it, then needed to use what I learned from those tutorials + use my own design to implement this feature.

Ended up watching the tutorials but didn't code the feature in yet.
    ~30 mins

Rest of the day was spent browsing the internet, the fastlane forum, watching youtube videos, and shows. Mowed the lawn, and did around 5 minutes of exercise, and 5 minutes of meditation. All in all really bad unproductive day.

Results:

~1hr of 'meh' tier work
    -5 minutes of meditation
    -5 minutes of working out
    Amount accomplished: Very little

Embarrassed to even write this kind of result. But I'm overcoming my embarrassment and posting it anyways.

Here's how I plan to improve tomorrow:

-Make a to-do list and follow it(block time off)
    -When I work, be fully focused on the work, no browsing around. Figure out what to do, then work on that task alone(focused work)
    -Exercise for at least 30 minutes(Exercise is good for the brain and the body)
    -Meditate for 5 minutes(Improves focus and mindfulness)
    -Limit my time to browse the internet freely till after 6pm

Lee H likes this.
  2. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,687
    upload_2019-5-2_23-21-27.jpeg

Keep going. The more you do this eventually it will snowball and you will become productive.

Write down your goals and look at them everyday. Build habits to reach those goals. As MJ says "process over events"

We're all gonna make it.

RazorCut, Tubs and NMdad like this.
  3. NMdad

NMdad Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,728
    You can do this. Awareness is the first step toward change.

Doing things even though you'd rather not will build mental toughness & create a habit to do other things.

What's the rep (repetition) you need to do daily that'll make you stronger? Coding even 5 minutes? Exercise? Meditation?

RazorCut and Tubs like this.
  4. Tubs

Tubs You'll never see it coming Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $267
    5/3/2019 --- Day 2---
    Today was a vast improvement over yesterday!
    Here's the summary:

30 minutes of exercise + 5 minutes of meditation completed right after waking up at 8am this morning(Gonna try moving my wake up time to 6am)

After I finished meditating I wrote down a schedule, using this method: Deep Habits: The Importance of Planning Every Minute of Your Work Day - Study Hacks - Cal Newport

Had to make a few changes to my schedule as the day went along, but I was able to do it easily with how I set up my schedule.

I was way more mindful of how I used my time today and it really showed in the results. When I was doing a task I focused only on that task and forced myself not to get off track.

What I got done:

Coded an important part of my project today while looking up references on how to do it online. Was able to cobble it together with what I could fine online + some of my own coding knowledge. Spent 2 hrs on this.

Researched even deeper into the specific type of database I needed for my project. Figured out how to implement it with my current project(something that was giving me headaches just thinking about it till I found the solution.) Learned a lot about how to input data from my program into the database, and how to organize and store the data. 2.5 hrs

I also worked on the GUI for my project a bit to make everything look a bit clearer. 1hr

Results:

5hrs 30 mins of work on project
    30 minutes working out
    5 mins meditation

Spent far more time working today than yesterday. And the time I spent working was also far more focused than the time I spent yesterday. Obviously 5.5 hrs isn't amazing or anything, but It's honestly probably one of the most productive days I've ever had. I only aim to keep improving from here. The main thing I noticed today in terms of productivity during my work time was that I could get much more done if I organize my notes and reference materials better. As well as clarifying exactly how a feature is supposed to work in my notes.

Tomorrow I plan to:

-Make a to-do list and follow it(block time off)
    -When I work, be fully focused on the work, no browsing around. Figure out what to do, then work on that task alone(focused work)
    -Organize my notes better and get my reference materials in better order(increase efficiency)

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Lee H likes this.
  5. Tubs

Rep Bank:
    $267
    5/4/2019 --- Day 3---
    Another improvement today in terms of time spent working. Starting to hit my stride when it comes to making my app everything's getting easier to understand the more I work, learning as I go.

What I got done:

Designed and coded the UI and integrated it with the code I made yesterday. The feature I made now works extremely well. - 4hrs

Studied the database implementation more - 2hrs

Worked on designing the next big feature for my project, came up with a good design, but couldn't figure out how to implement it how I wanted, gonna work on it more tomorrow -1hr

Today's results:
    -7hrs work completed
    -30 minutes of exercise done
    -6 minutes of meditation done

The Good:
    While implementing the UI for yesterdays feature I had a clear idea of what I had to figure out to make it work. It was far more efficient than my work yesterday and it enhanced the feature to a great degree

The Bad:
    The second feature I started working on today I didn't have a clear idea on how to implement. This led to meandering work for around an hour as I tried to figure out what I was supposed to do.

Tomorrow I'm gonna break down the task into its component parts and tackle each part individually to make it easier to figure out.

The database study is difficult, need to focus more while doing that so I can take in the information better.

That being said today was my best day ever both in terms of time worked and in terms of the amount I accomplished. I don't think I was even this productive during finals week back when I attended college. Aiming to do even better tomorrow! It'd be cool to have my most productive day ever again tomorrow :rofl:

Lee H likes this.
  6. Tubs

Rep Bank:
    $267
    Update: Since my last update I haven't been productive at all. I ended up moving shortly after that post and while I'd like to claim that was the reason for my lack of productivity up till now I'd be a liar if I said it was.

Truth is I consciously made a decision to avoid my work because I thought it was difficult, after I moved into my new apartment. Yeah there were a few days where it'd be understandable that I got little done, but there were also some days where I had time enough to work but instead took the lazy route.

That stops now. I'm getting back on Track as of today.
    Not gonna make any excuses, just gonna get better.

Today I will:

-Make a schedule(block time off) & To-Do list

I'll update with results sometime this evening.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.