The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Product / Development / Improvement

Idea threads

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Hi,
as far as I know, its quite usual to take a product, make it better ans sell it as one owns.

Here s the problem:

My son develops techical stuff and produces it for private use.

In that he i.e. downloads a file (for 3d print), which he can download for free and there is a lizense, that he can use it for private purposes.

But than he tests the suitability, than changes the file, until it fits his requirements, means, until the result works as it should.

Now, when he wants to sell that file as his own product, what are the necessarities to not stuck in the lizense for the original product?

Because parts of the original file are the same. Is there a limit, how much he must change?

Imo there is allways a traceability in some hinsights.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
there are a plethora of issues with this in terms of copyrighting and trademarks. I would recommend going over this with a patent attorney before wasting any more time, energy, resources etc.

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Hi,
as far as I know, its quite usual to take a product, make it better ans sell it as one owns.

Here s the problem:

My son develops techical stuff and produces it for private use.

In that he i.e. downloads a file (for 3d print), which he can download for free and there is a lizense, that he can use it for private purposes.

But than he tests the suitability, than changes the file, until it fits his requirements, means, until the result works as it should.

Now, when he wants to sell that file as his own product, what are the necessarities to not stuck in the lizense for the original product?

Because parts of the original file are the same. Is there a limit, how much he must change?

Imo there is allways a traceability in some hinsights.
You have me curious!

Rearden

Inventor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Aug 24, 2017
Michigan
it depends on what space/ category you are working in. Say you are changing kitchen tongs, you just need to be able to define the difference between what exists and the new thing.

IP is some what black and white...is it different or not this is when it comes to physical products.

Then there is a difference between what is ethical and what is legal that is a whole different discussion.

When it comes to evolving an existing product...a lot of the products on the market today don't have IP on them so you would not be infringing on an existing patent and can usually create improvements without impending on other IP.
But if there is existing IP on the product you have to read the patent, copy-write, TM or whatever type of IP there is to understand where the edges of that property is so you understand if you are infringing upon it.

So to get back to your original question...you would need to understand how the license of use is written to understand how to be able to resell it.

I hope this helps.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.