The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Product curation as a differentiator

pumpking

powered by coffee
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 14, 2019
Boston, Massachusetts
Hi all,

In thinking about solving needs and bringing value in an e-commerce business, the question came to mind recently... is curation of products in a store in and of itself enough of a value skew to create a moat? Implicitly, "We have the stuff you love, all in one place, shop here." I've actually seen examples of this at some BM businesses, usually smaller scale artisan type places. Not sure how "fastlane" those businesses really are though.

In any case, do those principles even apply in an online business?

Curious to hear your thoughts!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
What's stopping someone else from "curating" the same products?

You've gotta have an edge...a secret sauce...

Just look at subscription boxes. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of them now, all "curating" products for their customers.

And yet you can probably only think of half a dozen or so off the top of your head...

Why is that?

pumpking

powered by coffee
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 14, 2019
Boston, Massachusetts
What's stopping someone else from "curating" the same products?

You've gotta have an edge...a secret sauce...

Just look at subscription boxes. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of them now, all "curating" products for their customers.

And yet you can probably only think of half a dozen or so off the top of your head...

Why is that?

Yeah, I agree, it would seem that it's a bad business idea. But it also seems to work. For the sake of discussion, I'll offer Poketo (Poketo | Art & Design For Your Every Day) as an example. From what I can see (and what I've read from interviews with the owners), the store is almost entirely (carefully) curated products from artists and small time entrepreneurs who would otherwise be working out of Etsy. They've built out a pretty strong brand of primary colored products with a modern "MUJI" style.

Just trying to understand what their IP really is.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
I went in with the same premise on one of our ecomm stores. Turns out we were wrong, and we shifted our focus to what people were searching for. That data is there.

People aren't looking for "everything." They're looking for X.

Google has already curated every product ever in existence.

pumpking