The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Producing, Marketing and Releasing My First Hip-Hop/Rap Album (Music Production, Building Fanbase, Diversifying Income Streams)

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Tjkingmc

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Sep 19, 2020
North Carolina
Greetings All.

I'm starting this progress thread to keep myself accountable and document my experience for other aspiring musical artists/ music professionals on the forum.

Backstory:
I'm in my late 20's. I've been rapping for 15 years and producing/engineering for the last 3. It's always been a passion for me, but I'm at a cross roads:

Is music something that I am going to pursue as a serious business? or chalk it up as a hobby and focus primarily on my other (less exciting) business?

Biggest external problem: Saturation. Finding a niche with less competition.
Biggest internal problem: Lack of inspiration.
Secondary internal problem: Keeping focus / postponing music ideas for unrelated activities that offer more immediate financial gain.

I've released projects in the past with promising feedback. The content of my music tends to lead to higher engagement (encouraging emails, messages, comments) suggesting that I'm hitting on something somewhat niche. Early on I made a push and realized the messages in my music were being negated by poor audio quality so I went back to the lab, learned how to make my own beats and how to mix. I know music is largely "subjective" but like any industry there are standards of quality that are ubiquitous. I'm confident that my music has gone from clearly amateur in quality to professional.

Observations:
The wannabe musician stereotype is a well known, and well dated one. You perform at an open mic, everyone fawns over your amazing skills, the women fall to their knees and a manager from a big label signs you to a million dollar record deal. I'm embarrassed to say that this paradigm wasn't too far off from my mindset about 5 years ago. Obviously, it doesn't work like that anymore... And even if it did, it's not a viable business model, it's a lottery.

I believe my experiences as a young, ignorant musician who failed and subsequently started an unrelated e-commerce business has actually positioned me well to be successful in music this time around. I've murdered my ego and accepted the fact that music and the musician are simply products. The music is just one of many vehicles used to transact with an audience. Hence the reason so many "Celebrities" end up moonlighting as musical artists...Have you heard Vin Diesel's new song? I apologize in advance :happy:

With that being said, armed with my upgraded skill-set and business experience I'm going to give it one more go...

The Opportunity:
After sorting through all my observations and gaps in the market I believe I've targeted several audiences/ niches that I'd like to test:

• Hip-Hop lovers that are entrepreneurs or interested in entrepreneurship
  • DIY Hip-hop artists
  • Financial Literacy/ Education for Hip-Hop artists
Action Plan:

Produce and release an album/EP (aiming for 6 full songs)
  • Produce/ Release 1 Song each month for the next 6 months
  • Create an extra piece of target-audience related content to release with each song (production tutorial, blog post, helpful info graphic, etc.)
  • Complete website and launch mailing list
In the next 6 months my goals are too:
  • Have a fully completed album that can be given a formal marketing campaign.
  • Collect feedback from listeners to have a better idea of who's listening and why
  • Decide whether or not I've enjoyed the process and make a decision to continue building out a career in music or focus solely on other endeavors.
I have several different ideas on how to monetize the music and process. The reason I'm starting with the execution of creating this album is to garner momentum, awareness, and have a reference point where I can direct fans, potential clients, and just for self-motivation.

I will continue to update this thread weekly with my progress and realizations. Thanks for your time and any insight.

Peace!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

AidenRafi

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Mar 1, 2017
Sydney
honestly man, if you really want to level up, I would release a full mixtape every few months.
That's what you are competing with at the moment and thats how a lot of young dudes get hype around them.

I can understand where you are coming from, i have produced music as a hobby for the last 10 years.

Send me some tunes if you want i will check it out ;)

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
First off I wanna wish you luck in your ventures.

Second, I have no experience in the music industry, But I have a friend who managed to become pretty popular in the dubstep community. Playing shows in front of thousands of people, being friends with all of the biggest artists in the niche hes in (And those people are connected to bigger names in the industry (like skrillex, 12th planet, porter robinson etc).

I can tell you that it wasn't about him being the best at his craft, DJing or producing the best music. It's about him being friends with big names in the industry, and the clout that comes with it. He was always reaching out to people and it worked.

What i personally see in the music industry (again take it for what it's worth) It's a popularity contest with being exceptional at your craft coming second. What i'm saying is you should probably focus on making connections and friends with people in the industry who can get you noticed.

I think that if you make it big in music with the business knowledge that MJ teaches, then you're miles ahead of all these other fly by night rappers. You probably won't be screwed by people who want to take advantage of you, and blow all of your record deal money.

Whatever you do, dive into it. Don't be one of these guys who's in his 40's still trying to make it in music while working at chilis. Good luck bro.

Tjkingmc

Contributor
Sep 19, 2020
North Carolina
honestly man, if you really want to level up, I would release a full mixtape every few months.
That's what you are competing with at the moment and thats how a lot of young dudes get hype around them.

I can understand where you are coming from, i have produced music as a hobby for the last 10 years.

Send me some tunes if you want i will check it out ;)
Very true. Definitely quantity over quality nowadays. He who pumps out the most content wins.

Tjkingmc

Contributor
Sep 19, 2020
North Carolina
First off I wanna wish you luck in your ventures.

Second, I have no experience in the music industry, But I have a friend who managed to become pretty popular in the dubstep community. Playing shows in front of thousands of people, being friends with all of the biggest artists in the niche hes in (And those people are connected to bigger names in the industry (like skrillex, 12th planet, porter robinson etc).

I can tell you that it wasn't about him being the best at his craft, DJing or producing the best music. It's about him being friends with big names in the industry, and the clout that comes with it. He was always reaching out to people and it worked.

What i personally see in the music industry (again take it for what it's worth) It's a popularity contest with being exceptional at your craft coming second. What i'm saying is you should probably focus on making connections and friends with people in the industry who can get you noticed.

I think that if you make it big in music with the business knowledge that MJ teaches, then you're miles ahead of all these other fly by night rappers. You probably won't be screwed by people who want to take advantage of you, and blow all of your record deal money.

Whatever you do, dive into it. Don't be one of these guys who's in his 40's still trying to make it in music while working at chilis. Good luck bro.
Very good insights and I agree fully. Networking is at the top of my priority list, next to content creation.

Tjkingmc

Contributor
Sep 19, 2020
North Carolina
Greetings All.

I'm starting this progress thread to keep myself accountable and document my experience for other aspiring musical artists/ music professionals on the forum.

Backstory:
I'm in my late 20's. I've been rapping for 15 years and producing/engineering for the last 3. It's always been a passion for me, but I'm at a cross roads:

Is music something that I am going to pursue as a serious business? or chalk it up as a hobby and focus primarily on my other (less exciting) business?

Biggest external problem: Saturation. Finding a niche with less competition.
Biggest internal problem: Lack of inspiration.
Secondary internal problem: Keeping focus / postponing music ideas for unrelated activities that offer more immediate financial gain.

I've released projects in the past with promising feedback. The content of my music tends to lead to higher engagement (encouraging emails, messages, comments) suggesting that I'm hitting on something somewhat niche. Early on I made a push and realized the messages in my music were being negated by poor audio quality so I went back to the lab, learned how to make my own beats and how to mix. I know music is largely "subjective" but like any industry there are standards of quality that are ubiquitous. I'm confident that my music has gone from clearly amateur in quality to professional.

Observations:
The wannabe musician stereotype is a well known, and well dated one. You perform at an open mic, everyone fawns over your amazing skills, the women fall to their knees and a manager from a big label signs you to a million dollar record deal. I'm embarrassed to say that this paradigm wasn't too far off from my mindset about 5 years ago. Obviously, it doesn't work like that anymore... And even if it did, it's not a viable business model, it's a lottery.

I believe my experiences as a young, ignorant musician who failed and subsequently started an unrelated e-commerce business has actually positioned me well to be successful in music this time around. I've murdered my ego and accepted the fact that music and the musician are simply products. The music is just one of many vehicles used to transact with an audience. Hence the reason so many "Celebrities" end up moonlighting as musical artists...Have you heard Vin Diesel's new song? I apologize in advance :happy:

With that being said, armed with my upgraded skill-set and business experience I'm going to give it one more go...

The Opportunity:
After sorting through all my observations and gaps in the market I believe I've targeted several audiences/ niches that I'd like to test:

• Hip-Hop lovers that are entrepreneurs or interested in entrepreneurship
  • DIY Hip-hop artists
  • Financial Literacy/ Education for Hip-Hop artists
Action Plan:

Produce and release an album/EP (aiming for 6 full songs)
  • Produce/ Release 1 Song each month for the next 6 months
  • Create an extra piece of target-audience related content to release with each song (production tutorial, blog post, helpful info graphic, etc.)
  • Complete website and launch mailing list
In the next 6 months my goals are too:
  • Have a fully completed album that can be given a formal marketing campaign.
  • Collect feedback from listeners to have a better idea of who's listening and why
  • Decide whether or not I've enjoyed the process and make a decision to continue building out a career in music or focus solely on other endeavors.
I have several different ideas on how to monetize the music and process. The reason I'm starting with the execution of creating this album is to garner momentum, awareness, and have a reference point where I can direct fans, potential clients, and just for self-motivation.

I will continue to update this thread weekly with my progress and realizations. Thanks for your time and any insight.

Peace!
It's been a little over a week since my original post. Here's an update on my progress:
  • Getting back into the habit of recording regularly. Improved workflow. *Set up mic on desk so I can quickly capture ideas instead of having to set-up formal mic stand every time I want to record.

• Finished a complete song with a friend. I didn't like how it came out. It was nice to collaborate as I only had to write record one verse. However, when I made suggestions on things I wanted to tweak he gave push back.
    • *One of the reasons I've found it hard/unpleasant to collaborate at this level is a lot of hobbyists aren't interested in iteration or improvement. They are doing it because they enjoy the process (which is fine), but this approach doesn't work well when you are trying to create a viable music product for market.

• Partially finished another song that I do like. I'm going to make this my exclusive release for this month. This week i will be working on writing/ recording the rest of the song. Friend that helped me with other song is very talented, despite our difference in musical taste. I might outsource the hook to him and just write the verse and instruct him on how I'd like it performed.

• As @James Klymus mentioned a lot of success in the music industry is about networking and building relationships. I've been thinking of ways that I can start to build relationships with the right people despite the limitations of covid. Just releasing music and posting to social might be fine for building a mailing list and fan base (I have a model for that), but I'm almost certain that the right relationships will prove to be much more important when I look to maneuver in the near future.
    • *I've networked in the past but often ended up attracting other wannabe's that were stumbling around just like I was. Those relationships ending up being largely distractions rather than helpful. This time I'm going to make sure I reach out to people who are already doing what i'd like to do at the level I'd like to be before offering value or initiating*

• A realization I had that may be helpful to others out there: I have a friend who also does music. Talented but very stubborn, inconsistent, and resistant to change. Music is really the only thing that connects us at this point. He showed me the ropes as a beginner but I quickly surpassed him in regards to life and musical knowledge. As a friend, he's not a very good one but I do enjoy sharing music with him. I know that he will never do anything with music or his life and I get the feeling that he wants to attach himself to me for self gain.
    • *Alot of people will see growth and want to ride along but are not willing to pay their dues. It's up to us to be the driver and make sure the people riding with us are there to get to the same destination and boot those who are just trying to ride for free/fun.
It can be hard to stay inspired when you are not collaborating or sharing your art. My hope is that as I start regularly releasing music I'm able to start generating new sources of motivation and inspiration. I'll post a new update next week.

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Great post @Fox, very much appreciated! How can I reach out to you? I sent you a PM a while...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hey @Lex DeVille ! Having some issues with the NOREGRETS code? Udemy thinks it has expired...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom