The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Primary residence downpayment or PMI it and buy a rental property?

Volatov

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 30, 2017
USA
Just joined but have been a long time lurker. I'm stuck in a bit of a predicament. I'm currently considering moving to a new location based on a new job opportunity and will be buying a house. Let's say I buy $200K house and put a $40K downpayment (20%) but will not be able to buy an investment property since my cash will be all tied up. Or I could put down $10K (5%) and end up paying PMI on the main property but at the same time use that $40K to buy 2 investment properties each worth $100K. Is this a good idea and what are your thought?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Just joined but have been a long time lurker. I'm stuck in a bit of a predicament. I'm currently considering moving to a new location based on a new job opportunity and will be buying a house. Let's say I buy $200K house and put a $40K downpayment (20%) but will not be able to buy an investment property since my cash will be all tied up. Or I could put down $10K (5%) and end up paying PMI on the main property but at the same time use that $40K to buy 2 investment properties each worth $100K. Is this a good idea and what are your thought?

Buy the 2 $100k investment properties and rent where you live.

Volatov

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 30, 2017
USA
Buy the 2 $100k investment properties and rent where you live.
Why rent instead of purchase with minimal down and pay PMI? With the purchase at least some of the monthly payment will go to build equity or am I missing something. I can also have a lower monthly expense with a purchase even including insurance and taxes.

Last edited:

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Why rent instead of purchase with minimal down and pay PMI? With the purchase at least some of the monthly payment will go to build equity or am I missing something.
Sometimes where you want to live is too deep into the market cycle to make buying make sense.

Volatov

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 30, 2017
USA
Sometimes where you want to live is too deep into the market cycle to make buying make sense.
Do you mean appreciation on the property will not overcome the expenses associated with purchasing/closing etc?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Do you mean appreciation on the property will not overcome the expenses associated with purchasing/closing etc?

I mean don't buy high, unless you plan on staying there for decades.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Why rent instead of purchase with minimal down and pay PMI? With the purchase at least some of the monthly payment will go to build equity or am I missing something. I can also have a lower monthly expense with a purchase even including insurance and taxes.

BTW, your math doesn't make sense as you need $50k to buy 3 total properties.

If you have only $50k and want to be over leveraged in monthly payments and on 3 properties I guess that would be fine. You are just asking for trouble if a downturn comes along.

Sometimes you can rent a much better home than you can afford to buy in many neighborhoods. So that's why renting the home you live in is desirable in this case.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.