The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Pricing Strategies

Marketing, social media, advertising

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Hello,

I've just finished @Vigilante awesome INSIDERS progress thread.
He posted a link on pricing strategies which he and @MJ DeMarco would be a MUST READ.
So I've read it, and were really impressed.

Heres the link of the thread:
http://www.nickkolenda.com/psychological-pricing-strategies/#pricing-s7-t22

Since it is pretty long and fastlaners dont have time I would like to write down my notes here.
I explained every strategy fast and sometimes added my personal opinion.
Hope this helps some people.
The article is still really valuable to read (because the author also mentions a lot of different ressources.)

My notes:

The Psychology of Pricing: A Gigantig List of Strategies

http://www.nickkolenda.com/psychological-pricing-strategies/#pricing-s7-t22

Step 1: Determine your Price

1. Reduce left digit by 1. ($19.99 instead of $20)

2. If purchase based on emotion, use round price: $19

If purchase based on rationality, add cents: $19.86

3. Choose numbers with fewer syllables:

$27.82 (8 syllables): wrong

$28.16 (6 syllables): right

Step 2: Influence Their Perception

4. Break down total cost into multiple components, for example $15 product + $2.99 shipping.

If customer compares to your competition he will most likely use your base product cost.

Personal note: be careful with this. Amazon and eBay rank your product better if you offer free shipping. In my opinion this strategy only works on your own site.

5. Offer payments: 5 payments of $99 instead 1 payment of $499

6. Mention the daily equivalence: ($0.49 a day instead $14.99 a month)

Tip: you can also use another equivalence like a cup of coffee a day, or whatever you like.

7. Position the price at the button left on the price tag.

8. Use smaller font size for the prize.

9. Remove the comma, whenever possible: $1499 instead of $1,499

10. If you use language near the price use words like: “low”, “small”, “tiny” instead of “high”, “big”…

11. Use a higher price that must be met on eBay listings in order for the item to be sold.

Personal note: In my experience this doesn’t work. Only inexperienced sellers use a minimum amount to be reached on eBay auctions.

12. Be precise with large prices: 362,798.76 instead of 350,000

13. Expose people to a higher price near you’re your price tag:

If you for example sell an item on eBay for $15 use a box in your template showing other, more example products like ABC: $98 and YXZ: $79

14. Mention any near number near the price. You could for example write: “Join 2,387 happy customers” under your price.

15. Raise the price on your previous product:

Right: old version: $22 New version: $25

Wrong: old version: $17 New version: $25

16. When you make a sale use a smaller font size on sale price and color it green:

Original: Sale:

$49 $36

17. Offer a product that looks worse to make buyers buy your more expensive version:

Web version: $59

Print version: $125

Print and Web version: $125

Step 3: Motivate them to buy:

Uber revolutionized the cap business because they reduced the pain of pay. You don’t do a physical payment (like handing cash to the driver) and there is no visual meter which gets more expensive the more you drive.

18. You could remove the dollar sign on a restaurant menu.

19. If you use a monthly subscription model, charge at the beginning of the month.

20. Don’t bundle cheap and expensive products.

21. Shift the focus towards time-related aspects:

Wrong: We are so inexpensive!

Right: You will love using our product.

22. Reduce the pain of paying using “fake currency” (like poker chips or in game money).

23. Price under $100: use 25% off

Price over $100: use $35 off

24. If you do a discount (not to often) provide a good reason for the discount.

25. Use round numbers on discounts.

$50 instead of $47.83

Step 4: Maximize your revenue:

26. Use more smaller price increases, if you have to increase the price:

Year one: $80 year two: $82.50 year three: $85

27. You can also downsize the height, width, length of a product

Personal Note: Be careful with the 2nd method. If people find out that you downsize your product it will maybe hurt your brand.

AVOID THESE PRICING STRATEGYS:

28. Don’t use bait-and-switch pricing.

Don’t make a great ad for a big discount and tell your customers that you are sold out but you can offer something else (on normal price)

29. Don’t do dynamic pricing:

Don’t offer different customers different prices, based on their location, their willingness to pay, behavior etc.

That’s it.

Additional:

Don’t do A/B testing on price à you can do a survey.

Most important:

Communicating the value of your product and ACTUALLY HAVING A PRODUCT WHICH BRINGS VALUE TO THE CUSTOMER.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I would really like to hear if you got any additonal strategies for your pricing, which are not in the list. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

smark

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
Hello,

I've just finished @Vigilante awesome INSIDERS progress thread.
He posted a link on pricing strategies which he and @MJ DeMarco would be a MUST READ.
So I've read it, and were really impressed.

Heres the link of the thread:
42 Pricing Tricks Based on Psychology & Neuroscience

Since it is pretty long and fastlaners dont have time I would like to write down my notes here.
I explained every strategy fast and sometimes added my personal opinion.
Hope this helps some people.
The article is still really valuable to read (because the author also mentions a lot of different ressources.)

My notes:

The Psychology of Pricing: A Gigantig List of Strategies

42 Pricing Tricks Based on Psychology & Neuroscience

Step 1: Determine your Price

1. Reduce left digit by 1. ($19.99 instead of $20)

2. If purchase based on emotion, use round price: $19

If purchase based on rationality, add cents: $19.86

3. Choose numbers with fewer syllables:

$27.82 (8 syllables): wrong

$28.16 (6 syllables): right

4. Break down total cost into multiple components, for example $15 product + $2.99 shipping.

If customer compares to your competition he will most likely use your base product cost.

Personal note: be careful with this. Amazon and eBay rank your product better if you offer free shipping. In my opinion this strategy only works on your own site.

5. Offer payments: 5 payments of $99 instead 1 payment of $499

6. Mention the daily equivalence: ($0.49 a day instead $14.99 a month)

Tip: you can also use another equivalence like a cup of coffee a day, or whatever you like.

7. Position the price at the button left on the price tag.

8. Use smaller font size for the prize.

9. Remove the comma, whenever possible: $1499 instead of $1,499

10. If you use language near the price use words like: “low”, “small”, “tiny” instead of “high”, “big”…

11. Use a higher price that must be met on eBay listings in order for the item to be sold.

Personal note: In my experience this doesn’t work. Only inexperienced sellers use a minimum amount to be reached on eBay auctions.

12. Be precise with large prices: 362,798.76 instead of 350,000

13. Expose people to a higher price near you’re your price tag:

If you for example sell an item on eBay for $15 use a box in your template showing other, more example products like ABC: $98 and YXZ: $79

14. Mention any near number near the price. You could for example write: “Join 2,387 happy customers” under your price.

15. Raise the price on your previous product:

Right: old version: $22 New version: $25

Wrong: old version: $17 New version: $25

16. When you make a sale use a smaller font size on sale price and color it green:

Original: Sale:

$49 $36

17. Offer a product that looks worse to make buyers buy your more expensive version:

Web version: $59

Print version: $125

Print and Web version: $125

Step 3: Motivate them to buy:

Uber revolutionized the cap business because they reduced the pain of pay. You don’t do a physical payment (like handing cash to the driver) and there is no visual meter which gets more expensive the more you drive.

18. You could remove the dollar sign on a restaurant menu.

19. If you use a monthly subscription model, charge at the beginning of the month.

20. Don’t bundle cheap and expensive products.

21. Shift the focus towards time-related aspects:

Wrong: We are so inexpensive!

Right: You will love using our product.

22. Reduce the pain of paying using “fake currency” (like poker chips or in game money).

23. Price under $100: use 25% off

Price over $100: use $35 off

24. If you do a discount (not to often) provide a good reason for the discount.

25. Use round numbers on discounts.

$50 instead of $47.83

Step 4: Maximize your revenue:

26. Use more smaller price increases, if you have to increase the price:

Year one: $80 year two: $82.50 year three: $85

27. You can also downsize the height, width, length of a product

Personal Note: Be careful with the 2nd method. If people find out that you downsize your product it will maybe hurt your brand.

AVOID THESE PRICING STRATEGYS:

28. Don’t use bait-and-switch pricing.

Don’t make a great ad for a big discount and tell your customers that you are sold out but you can offer something else (on normal price)

29. Don’t do dynamic pricing:

Don’t offer different customers different prices, based on their location, their willingness to pay, behavior etc.

That’s it.

Additional:

Don’t do A/B testing on price à you can do a survey.

Most important:

Communicating the value of your product and ACTUALLY HAVING A PRODUCT WHICH BRINGS VALUE TO THE CUSTOMER.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I would really like to hear if you got any additonal strategies for your pricing, which are not in the list. :)
Honestly, this thread is golden! I'm actually surprised that I'm the first one replying to this.

First of all, thank you for not only posting the link to that article, but for then going on to simplify all of the takeaways in one easy-to-read summary. This is just one of those things that truly makes me value the people on this forum.

sunil11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Mar 25, 2018
india
Honestly, this thread is golden! I'm actually surprised that I'm the first one replying to this.

First of all, thank you for not only posting the link to that article, but for then going on to simplify all of the takeaways in one easy-to-read summary. This is just one of those things that truly makes me value the people on this forum.
Thank you for this! :)

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Awesome article, thanks!

Break down total cost into multiple components, for example $15 product + $2.99 shipping.

Las Vegas hotels are ruthless with this. For hotels at anywhere from $19 to $500+ a night, there's an additional $50 or so "resort fee" tacked on. Supposedly it's for the use of the pool, wifi, gym, etc., but people complaining about it, who say they don't care about all that, have mixed results getting it waived. It's actually a "Because we can get away with it, just like all our competitors" charge, to make the list price SEEM lower in the search engine results. And now there's the parking fee too!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eWomenNetwork

New Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Dallas , Texas , 75254
Great share!! The price you charge for your product or service is one of the most important business decisions you make. Pricing yourself too low can lead people to draw conclusions that you’re too fresh in the game while pricing yourself too high can cause potential clients to find what they need with another company. So, be careful while you are deciding price for your services.

smark

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
Pricing yourself too low can lead people to draw conclusions that you’re too fresh in the game

Very true.

I believe this to be a major issue with new businesses in the high-end goods/services sectors as one may think "No one will pay such a high price for that!" and essentially sabotage himself from becoming profitable due to one single variable.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Thanks OP! Just signed up for your site, currently going through all the PDFs now.

Not sure if I would agree with this. I often read that shipping fees should be combined into the product cost, so that we remove one more hesitation factor for the customer during checkout.

E.g: when the customer buys a $36 knife on your site and then clicks the Checkout button and sees "Shipping and Handling : $5.99", it turns them off and they might abandon cart.

But if you put $42 with free shipping, it facilitates their purchase and you can even use that as a marketing tool.

These are all read from articles though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.