The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Preserving Wealth, My #1 Tip. Don't Get Married! (Or Maybe You Should?)

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Alright, so as some people noted, there's something fishy going on here. Marriage is something that has real risks. What @Esquire and @GIlman were saying should be taken into consideration.

However, the odds of you experiencing those negatives has been exaggerated. First and foremost is a failure to understand how statistics work. Just because 50% of people get divorced (or, in reality, more like 43%), does not mean that every person has a 50/50 shot at getting divorced. Just like the statistic that "1/3 of black men have been to prison" does not mean that there is a 33% chance that the black son of two black Yale Law grads with a 3.9 GPA and 96th percentile SAT scores will end up in prison some time in their lives. Factors matter. All men (and women) are not equal.

So what are the factors known to affect divorce?

1. Age of the participants in the marriage. If you're both over 23, your odds of divorce go down, and it continues to fall as you get older.

y0rT9ea.png

2. Age differential between the participants. If you're close in age, the odds of divorce go down.

lead.png

3. Educational attainments and divorce have a curvilinear relationship, meaning that your odds of divorce are lowest if you either have no higher education or lots of it. The rates seem highest for college dropouts (sorry, no graph this time).

4. Equal educational attainments. If you and your spouse have graduate degrees, the odds of divorce goes down again.

5. Race. as of the middle of last decade, whites are less likely to get divorced than blacks. Hispanics are less likely to get divorced than whites, and Asians, especially Asian women, are less likely to get divorced than all those groups. Remember again that this is likely a result of the conditions and values that are likely to surround each individual during childhood (wealth vs. poverty, strict nuclear family values vs. broken homes, etc.), so if you're black but from a rich, well educated family, the "average" is going to represent you very poorly.

cummulative-percentage-of-ever-married-women-divorced-from-first-marriage-by-race-and-ethnicity-20091.jpg

6. Being a baller. A 1995 study found that the divorce rate for the highest income group is about 18% lower than the lowest income group. Contrary to the scaremongering in this thread, the more fastlane you are, the less likely your spouse is to leave:

Probability_of_First_Marriage_Dissolution_by_race_and_income_1995.png

7. History. If neither of you came from a broken home, your odds of getting a divorce are lower.

8. Finances and debt. If you don't fight about money (I hate self-reported metrics, but that's what we've got) and don't have debts (objective) your odds of divorce go way down.

chart_3_BankOnIt.png

chart_4_BankOnIt.png

chart_5_BankOnIt.png

9. Recidivism. Unbelievably, if you get divorced once, your odds of getting divorced again are higher than average. If you've never been divorced, odds go down. Estimates say that second marriages may be around 66% probability of getting divorced, third are up around 75%.

So what's all this mean? Well, if you're an 27 year old Korean with a master's degree and no debt who just got hitched to a 26 year old Korean medical doctor with no debt, and did not begin cohabiting before age 23, and both your parents are still together, and you're headed for the top income bracket (as all fastlaners should be), your odds of getting divorced are not 50%. They are, in fact, nowhere near that number. What are they actually? it can be hard to combine cross-factors and figure it out, but you can see how much just a single factor affects the rates, then guess what that would be compounded. 10% 5%? Less?

Then comes the hard part. You need to sit down seriously and ask yourself what you're doing here. The 50% divorce statistic is definitely inflated, as prior posters pointed out, but you know what isn't inflated? The failure rate of startups:

business-failure.jpg

Ask @Vigilante, or if you haven't yet (for the love of God, why?) listen to his Mind Your Business Podcast: A divorce may take 50% of your stuff, but if your business crashes and burns (whether by fate or by the deceit of partners) you stand to lose everything. Yet most of us take this gamble, and lose, and get back up, and lose it again. I shared with some people at the meetup that I lost $4,000 in a period of about 24 hours when I was first starting out. And that's just a gentle rap on the knuckles compared to the absolutely savage a$$ beating people have suffered when their whole company went down in flames. Lots of us here are familiar with the feeling of surplussing yourself beyond requirement, I've taken out loans worth 50% more than my net worth before. If shit goes sideways, I have no recourse to repay it, I lose everything.

Some of you guys are too fearful.

When you see that the odds are 50% of success, if you say "I'll probably be in the half that fails, I should avoid that" you're banking on failure. That gets even worse if the actual odds of failure are 10-12% and you still say "Why bother? I'll probably still fail." Almost all of you talking with your mouths like you're trying to join the "1%," but your actions say that you're F*cking banking on being the bottom 50%, as you trip over yourselves in a frantic mob to figure out how to get your sign-up for Odesk approved after somebody waved in front of you the oh-so-tantalizing-prospect of ten dollars an hour, in what was supposed to be a last-resort move to save yourself from being broke. Are you kidding me? Did the masthead on this site change to the "Sidewalk Forum" while I wasn't looking?

I already shared this, but a couple of years ago I was reading an article in Wharton's alumni magazine with ten billionaire alumni. Seven of the ten had one common "success factor" that they named independently. Learning to code? Good education? Compounding interest?

No. Their spouse.

It stuck with me even as a teenager. I can remember closing that up, then going out to skateboard and just chewing on the thought over and over...

Wow.

It was their wife, not their Penn degrees (I was raised to think that your degree and educational institution was the be-all and end-all of your success) that they saw as crucial in the end.

You guys want to become billionaires, but you won't listen to what they have to say. You won't take risks. You see the danger and you bow out. Yeah, you can lose 50%. You can end up in prison. You can end up with $300K/yr in alimony and another $300K/yr in child support. For each of those seven billionaires whose wives were integral in their success, there might be a could-have-been-a-billionaire who lost big in a marriage. But if you want safe, what are you doing here? By picking up TMF and doing what it says, you stand a very small chance of making it big, but you stand a very big chance of loosing everything. Am I taking an imprudent risk by being married, and by not divorcing my wife now when my net worth is below $1M and we have no kids? You goddamn right I am. But I'm not an employee. I'm not the 99%. It's why I'm already expecting to retire THREE TIMES sooner than I would have if I'd stuck to my old path, and why I'm staying married. I'm an entrepreneur. I always bet on being the 1%. I always bet on being the anomaly. I always plan to be the fluke.

Taking statistically imprudent risks is what I do for a living.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I have been sitting in this exact spot several times over the past several years, watching the sun set. I came to realize, in this exact spot, that the total number of sunsets you get to watch is fixed and diminishing.

I can tell you that I couldn't imagine it without my wife. Breathing. Living. Drinking in a sunset over the pacific ocean. You're worried about money ? I guess we're focused on different things. Pick better.

I've lost it all, and had to climb back up again. Lost so much that there was only one person that was left standing with me. And she's entitled... to...half.

hono-koa.jpg

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
**Edited to remove nasty knee-jerk remark that served no purpose**

Just because most people don't make it work, doesn't mean it won't work.

Why don't you take a look at the stats on getting rich...

Why are you here if the stats are all that matters?

Last edited:

DreamsCameTrue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Jun 29, 2014
Hollywood Hills
Quick credibility explanation. The reason you should listen to me is because I have been coaching men for the last 10 years on women and relationships. Many men over 40 have been severely damaged by a financial catastrophe that can be EASILY avoided. This goes for women also, I'm not posting this for the men only.

The easiest way to get rich and avoid financial ruin is.....

1- follow what's in the fastlane
2- pay all your taxes
3- do not get married, and do not get divorced

As far as #3, the signs are everywhere. Marriage and divorce ruin your finances. But most people refuse to see the evidence that is right in front of their face, because they are blinded by love and tradition, wanting to do the same things their parents did.

News flash! The laws have completely changed since your parents got married. You will be wiped out for sure if you have money and you get a divorce.

I urge you to watch this documentary on the divorce industry-

To put it in a nutshell:
The laws have changed. Divorce is an industry now. There is massive collusion between judges and lawyers, and they will take all your cash and liquidate your assets during a divorce proceedings. There's no rules in Family Court. Judges don't have to go by laws or precedents. They can do anything they want. There is no oversight and no challenging them.

On day 1, you sign up for a divorce attorney and they will often put a lien on your house and other assets just in case you can't pay. The judge can then order your house to be sold to pay legal fees.

After day 1, the judges and lawyers team up to drag out the case as long as possible.

In summary, it's not that you need to worry about your spouse taking your money, it's the lawyers that will take it.

I know a girl whose parents spent $600K on a divorce, and it's not over yet!

BUT WAIT, I CAN GET MARRIED BECAUSE I WON'T BE GETTING DIVORCED!
Nope sorry, the stats just don't support this. More than half of marriages end up in divorce and there's nothing special about you or your spouse that will change this. As you grow your fortune, you also incentivize your spouse to divorce you. Do you really want to have a 50% chance of getting financially wiped out? People change, goals change, relationships end. You can't fight this, it's human nature.

Marriage is a dirty business.
Divorce is even more dirty!

Again, please watch that entire documentary, it's available on iTunes. Don't be blind to the biggest mistake of your life.

BTW I'm single so I have no ax to grind. I just feel I'm one of the few people paying attention to what's actually going on, so I wanted to share it with you here.

Edited by Vigilante as we don't permit frat boy slang in this forum.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Quick credibility explanation. The reason you should listen to me is because I have been coaching men for the last 10 years on women and relationships. Many men over 40 have been severely damaged by a financial catastrophe that can be EASILY avoided. This goes for women also, I'm not posting this for the men only.

2- pay all your taxes

As far as #3, the signs are everywhere. Marriage and divorce ruin your finances. But most people refuse to see the evidence that is right in front of their face, because they are blinded by love and tradition, wanting to do the same things their parents did.

News flash! The laws have completely changed since your parents got married. You will be wiped out for sure if you have money and you get a divorce.

To put it in a nutshell:
The laws have changed. Divorce is an industry now. There is massive collusion between judges and lawyers, and they will take all your cash and liquidate your assets during a divorce proceedings. There's no rules in Family Court. Judges don't have to go by laws or precedents. They can do anything they want. There is no oversight and no challenging them.

On day 1, you sign up for a divorce attorney and they will often put a lien on your house and other assets just in case you can't pay. The judge can then order your house to be sold to pay legal fees.

After day 1, the judges and lawyers team up to drag out the case as long as possible.

In summary, it's not that you need to worry about your spouse taking your money, it's the lawyers that will take it.

Nope sorry, the stats just don't support this. More than half of marriages end up in divorce and there's nothing special about you or your spouse that will change this. As you grow your fortune, you also incentivize your spouse to divorce you. Do you really want to have a 50% chance of getting financially wiped out? People change, goals change, relationships end. You can't fight this, it's human nature.

Again, please watch that entire documentary, it's available on iTunes. Don't be blind to the biggest mistake of your life.

BTW I'm single so I have no ax to grind. I just feel I'm one of the few people paying attention to what's actually going on, so I wanted to share it with you here.

PS- for the men reading who think getting rich is their ticket to non-stop pussy, you're in for a rude awakening too, but that's a conversation for another day :)

I guess I need to elaborate.

I agree with your first and second points. Not the third.

Here's why:

The laws have changed. Definitely agree on this.

Half of marriages end in divorce. Definitely agree on this.

Judges and lawyers can F*ck you. Definitely agree on this.

Marriage is a dirty business and so is divorce. Definitely agree on this.

What I don't agree on.

Divorce is inevitable - I don't agree with this for multiple reasons. The first of which is simply that if it was inevitable, then all marriages would end in divorce, not 50%.

There's nothing special about you and your spouse that will changes this
- I don't agree with this because there are plenty of people whose relationships last. Not everyone blindly picks a mate. Some people spend years getting it right.

Do you really want to have a 50% chance of getting financially wiped out? - I will gladly accept this chance, because I wouldn't even have half of what I have right now if it wasn't for my spouse.

Obviously some marriages don't end well. That part is clear. That doesn't mean all marriages don't end well. Instead of assuming failure, why not work at incentivizing a spouse to stay.

You have to take calculated risks. Not stupid risks.

I'm not saying everyone should rush out and get married. But assuming it can't, or won't work, based on statistics is no different than assuming you can't or won't get rich because so few people make it happen.

The 1% gets freedom. The 1% gets happiness. The 1% don't live in fear of what might happen.

P.S. Sorry for the knee-jerk response. I do that sometimes.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Very interesting discussion as I thought it would be. Please try to keep the gender bashing to a minimum. Thread title changed as well.

I wrote this article some years ago...

[REMOVED]

TL;DR: Weddings are events, marriages are processes.

And that's why many fail. Just like many businesses fail. People don't care about process but instead, gravitate to events. I have an acquaintance through a friend who is getting married just after 6 weeks of dating. I'm like, WTF is wrong with you? If you're partnership is truly rock solid, you can wait more than 6 weeks, perhaps, 6 years. If after then you guys are still rocking it and happy lovey dovey, yea, then get married.

Truth is, most people are not emotionally capable to have a successful marriage, just like many don't have the grind to run their own businesses.

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
Interesting post,

I know this video/post is from marriages in the USA. I'm wondering how other divorce courts handle it. How about other countries? Wondering if any of our friends here in the forum outside the USA can comment if divorce courts are as bad outside the states.

I'm personally not against marriage or women. I love females, but as someone posted above you can do basically everything without getting married. It's just a paper that binds you into a legal contract. People also change as they age.

I was looking into statistics on marriage the other night and it said that (Out of 1,000 recently divorced men in the survey) 80% of men surveyed felt rushed/pressured into marriage from there female spouse before they were ready or comfortable. Out of those 1k men that got divorced 64% of divorce's were filed by women without the men having any clue or sign of divorce.

My buddy got divorced 3 years ago & I was there for all of his divorce hearings & court dates, the judge that he got was a male and so bias. Threw countless stuff out of the window & didn't listen to anything on my friends side. He didn't have kids yet which prob the best decision of his life. His wife was pretty much a stay at home wife and could do whatever she wanted, she ended up becoming an alcoholic and getting them into tons of credit card debt. He was a hard worker & owned his own company that was making him a nice salary employed a dozen people & made him some nice profits.

Judge ruled she got to keep the cars, house & granted her 50% ownership in his business. He had to pay all her legal costs during the battle. Also had to pay alimony ($8,000/per month) for the rest of his life.

He wasn't having any of it and tried to appeal it up to the supreme court & lost.

What was his next plan you ask? Be a SLAVE for the rest of his life? NOPE

Since he didn't have any kids he decided to renounce his US citizenship & got citizenship in another country. POOF it all went away.

LADIES & GENTS,

@MJ DeMarco wrote it in his book. BE A PRODUCER not a consumer. Countries around the world will bend there rules & regulations for PRODUCERS. PRODUCERS help create jobs, products & tax dollars. CONSUMERS do not. PRODUCERS have CONTROL. As you can see with my buddies story you can take everything away from him. But you cant take away his skill to produce, production will always be in demand in a global economy.

As for my friend he's doing great now, happier then ever he lives in south east asia. Started another company and has the same lifestyle that he once had in the united states. The only difference is he pays single digits for taxes ;)

I see his ex-wife around town a lot, plays the victim role & constantly telling ppl how much of a POS he is and telling ppl i'm still friends with him & how i'm a POS. She came up to me the other day and told me she found out he's living and south east asia. She quoted "I hope he likes living in that dump of a 3rd world country broke & homeless. He deserves it!!!" I looked at her straight in the eye and smiled then said "Yes he does".

In my friends best 5 word phrase. "Produce, Then GO WERE YOUR TREATED BEST

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
@Esquire your thoughts?

Agree 100% with @DreamsCameTrue and @Journey2Million$.

I think getting married -- is one of the most insanely reckless things an entrepreneur can do.

Few things can more completely and arbitrarily divest an entrepreneur of his or her heard-earned wealth than divorce court.

I see it all the time.

And (as earlier mentioned) losing your wealth in just part of the picture ... you lose your freedom and (quite often) quality of life.

Might even land you in prison.

Marriage violates the Commandment of Control.

Indeed ... I allotted approximately 20 minutes at the Arizona conference trying to talk the young single folks out of getting married.

Us "older" folks who have been through divorce hell ... know better.

You do NOT want to learn this lesson the hard way.

Prenuptial agreements ... are better than nothing. If you are going to get married -- you need one.

But as I also explained ... there are all sorts of ways to invalidate or contest a prenuptial agreement. They are helpful ... but they are not bulletproof.

If the prenuptial agreement is tossed ... you've got yourself an open-ended divorce.

Hell to the NO.

As I also explained at the conference ... long term relationships governed by a cohabitation agreement ... is the best way to go.

Otherwise ... you are spinning the chambers.

Hard.

You do not marry your spouse. You marry the government.

You hand over control ... over everything you earn ... and over everything you will earn ... sometimes until the day you die ... to a wage-earning slowlane judge.

From a business standpoint -- it is insane.

And there is a 50% chance ... that's where you'll end up.

Not me you say ...? Not going to happen to us ...?

Funny ... that's what everyone else I represented in divorce court said.

50%.

Just say no.

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I've always heard the 50% statistic, so I went to look it up the current rate and found this article: http://www.divorcesource.com/ds/main/u-s-divorce-rates-and-statistics-1037.shtml

Also, this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/02/divorce-rate-declining-_n_6256956.html

Check the links above. Things are not quite as doom-and-gloom as you guys paint it. The divorce rate is less than 50%, and has been declining slowly. Having said that, it's still high (estimated ~40% for young couples getting married for the first time).

Bad Foundations

"Ninety percent of all new businesses fail within five years, and I know why they fail. They fail because they fail the Commandment of Need."
(MJ DeMarco, The Millionaire Fastlane )

A lot of businesses fail because they are built on bad foundations. Same as a lot of marriages. However, a business or marriage constructed with care and knowledge have a much better chance of succeeding.

If someone came here to this forum, read all of the gold posts, had talks with the successful members, and understood and took to heart all the things they said, how much better would her odds of succeeding be?

If someone wanted to get married and, prior to tying the knot, talked to people who have been successfully and happily married, talked to those he trusted about his potential spouse to get honest opinions, and waited until he was a little older, how much higher would his chances of success be?

For those who don't want to get married, don't get married. I've known plenty of great people and some really good friends who have chosen not to get married. That's each person's choice. But please don't put up warnings of imminent doom to those who would like to. There's a lot to be said for marriage, and there are a lot of successful ones.

My wife and I were a little older than average when we got married. I was 26, she was 30. We've been together almost 10 years and have 2 kids. We fight at times, sometimes a lot. But we've got a pretty happy life together. We work together toward common goals, we support each other, and we each, in the end, admit to fault when we've f*cked up. Before we got married, we each consulted those who were close to us to get their opinions, and we went through a few sessions of pre-marital counseling before the wedding. That's not to say we're free and clear. You always have to work at it. But there's a way to go about it that drastically increases your odds.

Also, vasectomies!
Well, well, well. You mean you can increase your odds of success with marriage like you can with business? Who'd a thunk it?!

Married my wife when I was 20 years old. That was 23 years ago. Marriage stronger than ever. And folks, let me tell ya, we have been through some hell... things that easily tear apart many marriages. I married right. Even though I was young, I was insightful enough to not rush into marriage and get counsel prior to doing so.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

2- pay all your taxes

To put it in a nutshell:

Edited by Vigilante as we don't permit frat boy slang in this forum.
I edited your post to delete your vulgar frat boy reference. You can be articulate without devaluing women to make a point

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
I count myself as one of the lucky ones who married right. She married a middle manager, not an entrepreneur, but when I changed my focus, she took it all in stride. She was with me as we climbed to the top, enjoying the country club, private airplanes, boats, horses, and the condo overlooking the Vegas strip. She stuck with me when it all collapsed and we were reduced to living in an 83 Accord. She stayed with me while I did it all again, this time selling before the dot com crash would have had us looking for another Honda to move in to. Along the way, she became an entrepreneur herself (she decided it was fun) but helped me achieve my current success. I get it though. I walked into the casino with empty pockets and came out with them stuffed. And I count my blessings every day.

Cheers,
O-2

DreamsCameTrue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Jun 29, 2014
Hollywood Hills
So let me ask you this.

What if you were a real estate investor. What if you were offered a deal on a house where you had to put all your money in, but there was a 50% chance the house would fall into a sink hole at some point in the next 30 years, no one knows when. Would you do the deal?

You can do anything un-married that you can do married, and there's far less risk.

Wanna have kids? You can do it without marriage. Want to stay together until you die? You can do that without marriage. Do you want to have a big party and invite 500 people, you can do that without marriage also.

Marriage invites a bunch of lawyers and the government into your financial affairs, and the results are not good these days. Open your eyes. It's all around us.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I have read several pages of posts but not the whole thread. Both sides, valid arguments and merits.

I have a third point of view to add to this conflict. The offspring.

I deal with broken children everyday. The children are caught in the middle and can't get out. They unjustly bear a huge load of burden and are not able to resolve it. I see it in their posture, their faces, their social skills, and other actions.

If I treated these kids the way some parents treat their kids, I would be in jail.

All kids should have two committed involved parents, married, divorced, cohabitating, whatever. The boys need both parents involved. The girls need both parents involved.

Your kids are watching you, they are always learning whether you want them to or not. They see how you treat others especially your spouse. They hear your arguments, they see you throw things and cuss at each other. You are setting the example of how they should act all the time.

We are all human and have our bad moments. However, our kids all deserve better lessons, teachers, parents, etc.

Don't have kids until you are ready to commit. If you have kids please be a parent.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
I knew marriage & divorce was extremely horrific, but your description is a bit worse than I even knew or imagined. I think basically the government is trying their best to destroy marriage. About half of adults today are not married, whereas several decades ago, something like 90% of adults were married and divorce was uncommon. It's extremely foolish for any man to get married these days.

Even if they don't divorce you, you have divorce and financial ruin hanging over your head like a sword, which makes it easy for your wife to bully you and boss you around like a little dog on a leash. I've seen a lot of men who act subservient to their wife, and it's disgusting. Bruce Jenner is a good example of this.

Women have all the legal power in relationships and there's a lot of ways they can ruin your life whether or not you marry them. They can falsely accuse you of rape or violence and put you in jail. It's not even safe to live with a girlfriend anymore, because I heard about a guy whose girlfriend falsely accused him of something to get him in jail, then she and her parents robbed his home of everything, including a lot of very valuable things as well as things of small value. She just cleaned him out. Then the district attorney ordered the police not to do anything about it and told him that all he could do is go to a civil trial against her.

Also remember the woman who cut off her husband's or boyfriend's penis? She only got a few month's in a mental health institution and was then set free.

Also there's child support. If you get a girl pregnant, she'll make you pay child support, and the court will raise your child support payment if your income goes up, but will never lower it if your income goes down. So it seems to me there's a good chance you'll be financially wiped out and end up in jail for not being able to pay child support.

We need to join the mens movement and use our money to fight to get our rights back, because all our rights vs women have been taken away. It's a nightmare situation.

I'm definitely not getting married. I won't put my nuts in the hands of some woman to decide whether or not she wants to cut them off and when. I won't kow tow to some stupid woman like a lot of other guys do and I won't be restricted to a man cave in a basement or garage of a house that I paid for. F that BS. I'm gonna have and do whatever I want. And if I want a 12 foot tall alien statue in my house, then I'm gonna have it and no woman's gonna tell me I can't.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

This quote, above all, is a paraphrase of this entire thread.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Wow, crazy thread.

Here's my opinion on all this, from a married man's point of view.

The US government and US attorneys are out of control, and neither attorneys, the family court or divorce court has any one's best interest at heart. Not the man, the woman, and certainly not the children.

It's my duty to protect myself, my children, and the woman in my life from the government.

This is what I would have done instead:

1) monogamous commitment to a woman I love
2) marriage ceremony to satisfy family and her desire for a wedding
3) no marriage contract
4) cohabitation agreement that spells out the following:
  • Dividing assets in a breakup
  • Childcare costs and custody in a breakup
  • Housing (who moves out) in a breakup
  • Custody of pets in a breakup
  • Terms that break the agreement (infidelity, criminal acts, etc)
  • Whatever else is deemed important by both parties can be included
With a cohabitation agreement, when a breakup occurs, you simply follow the contract. No divorce court, no family court, very little attorney fee's to separate assets, etc.

If one party doesn't follow the contract during a breakup, you sue them in civil court for forced compliance. Still, no divorce court, no family court, etc.

A lot less drama, a lot less heartbreak, and protects everyone's interests if written correctly.

There have been numerous case law instances of them holding up in court, unlike prenups that get thrown out all the time.

Still allows the formality and romance of a wedding and commitment, without being in a threesome with the government (other than a legally binding business contract)

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney. Consult an attorney for actual legal advice. Be aware of common-law marriage laws in your area. Consult an attorney!

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
I'm going to chime in here. Mostly because I have been through all sides of this and have some things to offer from my experiences. I am not pro or anti marriage, but here is what I have learned from experience and the nearly thousand hours of reading I did while going through the process. @Esquire correct me in any error you see since you actually have professional experience here.

First and foremost, the "error" many people make, and the reason so many people are angry or caught off guard if they get divorced is because they do not understand what marriage is. I am not saying it is a mistake to get married, that is up to each person to decide for them selves.

What I AM saying, is that you have to understand what marriage IS.

Marriage is a business contract, plain and simple. You can believe that it is about love and devotion and whatever you want, but do not ignore the fact that in the eyes of the law it is an equitable partnership agreement exactly the same as starting a business 50/50 with a general partner where you both invest 100% of your assets.

You are trading 1/2 of everything you own and all your future increases for 1/2 of everything the other person owns and all their future increases. Oh, and don't forget that you are also probably accepting 1/2 of each others debt as well, although some debts are excluded. Once you are married, you now have a business, Family INC.

This business then goes along it's way.

If sometime down the road the marriage falls apart. Basically the courts then go through and value the business, and each person gets their half of all the assets and value out of the business. Which in many cases involves one partner buying out the other partners theoretical 1/2 valuation.

The reason that there are court fights are because there are not agreements on the valuation of the business. Or, if there is no value in the business then often the fight is about distribution of the human capital of the marriage (i.e. children) and the associated financial impacts of this.

For slow-laners, this is painful..for fast-laners this can be down right catastrophic to your business and life.

You see, if you own a business, the valuation of that business will NOT be based on the value of the physical assets owned. It will be the assets plus non-tangibles including goodwill. This is the SAME as any business would be valued if it was being sold. But if you wish to keep your business, assuming that it is the source of your income, this may mean that your business is valued as a high multiple of revenue and that to KEEP your business you have to payout 1/2 of this value without actually selling it to raise the capital.

Now, this does not mean that the business can fetch this much money if you sold it on the open market, it just means it is the theoretical value that you are being held accountable to pay 1/2 of to keep the business. The only way to PROVE the value of the business is to ACTUALLY sell it on the open market since the market is the ultimate arbiter of value This can be very difficult, and many people are put in a position where the business has to be sold (often in a fire sale) because they can't possibly come up with this valuation to buy out the other persons share, and to add insult to injury the 1/2 value the business actually fetches is substantially less that was being demanded that you pay.

Here is where divorce diverges from a typical partnership, and where it is poses the greatest risk to entrepreneurs. Now that you have paid out your 1/2 share of the business, the courts will often expect you to also provide support (e.g. alimony) on the theory that your ex should be able to maintain their lifestyle without having to use their distribution from the business to do it. Basically what they are saying is that the person should be able to sell their shares in Family INC, but still receive dividends from Family, INC as if they still owned a large share of stock in it.

To put some numbers to this. Say that you earned 1 Million a year from the business, the value may be pegged at 3-4 million for the business including non-tangibles like goodwill, so you would have to come up with 1/2 of this so 1.5-2 million to buy out their half (which is post tax money). On top of that, your spousal support will be based on calculated earnings of 1 Million, so you can expect to probably be paying out somewhere around 300,000 a year in support. And on top of that maybe even child support, which is post tax.

You can see where this is leading fast....basically you may be paying out WELL in excess of 50% of your earnings for a prolonged period of time, so you can buy out the other persons 1/2 of the business that you build, to pay for their "reasonable" living expenses so that they don't have to use their savings to live, and post tax child support. You may literally end up with 15-25% of your income per year for a long time to satisfy all of these demands.

Again, I am not anti-marriage, but I think that people should at least be aware of the real risks they face in marriage, especially in situations where one spouse does not work outside of the home, etc, etc.

Approach marriage exactly the same way as you would a business partnership, because if you ever have to that is exactly how your marriage will be treated by the courts.

One other side note, I have been peripherally involved with friends who were going through breakups of financially successful businesses and I can tell you that the process was pretty much just like a divorce with all the stress, drama, games, etc...so whether in business or life, choose your partners and your business contracts and agreements carefully....if at all.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I knew marriage & divorce was extremely horrific, but your description is a bit worse than I even knew or imagined. I think basically the government is trying their best to destroy marriage. About half of adults today are not married, whereas several decades ago, something like 90% of adults were married and divorce was uncommon. It's extremely foolish for any man to get married these days.

Even if they don't divorce you, you have divorce and financial ruin hanging over your head like a sword, which makes it easy for your wife to bully you and boss you around like a little dog on a leash. I've seen a lot of men who act subservient to their wife, and it's disgusting. Bruce Jenner is a good example of this.

Women have all the legal power in relationships and there's a lot of ways they can ruin your life whether or not you marry them. They can falsely accuse you of rape or violence and put you in jail. It's not even safe to live with a girlfriend anymore, because I heard about a guy whose girlfriend falsely accused him of something to get him in jail, then she and her parents robbed his home of everything, including a lot of very valuable things as well as things of small value. She just cleaned him out. Then the district attorney ordered the police not to do anything about it and told him that all he could do is go to a civil trial against her.

Also remember the woman who cut off her husband's or boyfriend's penis? She only got a few month's in a mental health institution and was then set free.

Also there's child support. If you get a girl pregnant, she'll make you pay child support, and the court will raise your child support payment if your income goes up, but will never lower it if your income goes down. So it seems to me there's a good chance you'll be financially wiped out and end up in jail for not being able to pay child support.

We need to join the mens movement and use our money to fight to get our rights back, because all our rights vs women have been taken away. It's a nightmare situation.

I'm definitely not getting married. I won't put my nuts in the hands of some woman to decide whether or not she wants to cut them off and when. I won't kow tow to some stupid woman like a lot of other guys do and I won't be restricted to a man cave in a basement or garage of a house that I paid for. F that BS. I'm gonna have and do whatever I want.

Ridiculous post. After censoring the original poster then I came across this little beauty from you. Closing this thread until the moderators have a chance to review all of this.

DreamsCameTrue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Jun 29, 2014
Hollywood Hills
You don't permit "frat boy slang," but people can use the term "retarded" which is far more inflammatory than anything I said.

I used the word "spouse" every time and never used the word "wife."

Viginante- send another mod in here, as it's clear that you are personally offended by the subject matter and you're not being objective.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
Totally agree with everything @RHL said!!!

The funny thing about statistics though is that they are meant to evaluate populations, but to an individual they are meaningless. They are not a reason to get or not to get married.

For instance, if 3% of the population will get some cancer in their lifetime, that statistic means nothing (0%) to you if you never get that cancer. But if you do get that cancer, then the impact is 100% to you. In other words, to an individual statistics are black or white 0%/100%. Polarizing topics usually means that the impact of being in one group vs the other is substantial (strong positive vs strong negative) but neither group understands the position or perspective of the other.

So good marriage is a good thing, and bad marriage is a horrible horrific thing. These are the two sides of the coin. Therefore there is confirmation bias in people opinions because they will either have a good marriage that props up their life or a horrible marriage that drags them down. It's a gamble, that's the risk, yes there is a reward if it works out.

Something I want to point out in the Study of billionaires alluded to, is that there is certainly survivor bias at play. There were certainly individuals that would have been higher on the list of financial accomplishment that were not because of divorce and both the financial and emotional turmoil that divorce takes on people, especially the emotional turmoil. In other words peoples who's marriages survive are more likely to have wealth and be successful than people who's marriages failed, they are the survivors.

All of that said, I don't believe money is happiness (fun yes), I have two wonderful kids and a wonderful partner (but we aren't married at the moment). I find tremendous value and fulfillment in these things. And quite frankly all of life is risk, much of that risk we don't even understand till after the fact, but to live is to take risks and we all do it every day with everything we do.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
I've been following this thread for a long time, just like many of you...I said I was done...but I have made a very curious observation I would like to share with you all.

First, a question for you! If you met a man (or women), who had come from simple means (like most), and had built a business from scratch...learned lots of lessons, many from failures...and was willing to share with you these experiences...would you want to know how they did it?

Or...would you challenge what they had done, and criticize what they did wrong? Would you mock the failures, as things they could or should have seen?...because it's so fair to look at a situation knowing the outcome and seeing the "error" in judgment.

Then why is it so different with this thread? Why do so many just tune out those who have experienced things in their lives, that many of you simply have not...have paid hundreds of thousands or millions...have seen the pitfalls and failures.

...Or, as in the case of @Esquire actually have knowledge about something to a level that pretty much none of us do, and experiences on a daily basis the impacts of what he knows...This is the very definition of what a Mentor IS!!!

There are many people here (myself included) that have been through an experience that many others here have not, these people are trying to mentor you, because we want to cast a light on to a part of life that many of you WILL experience (but just haven't yet), whether you like it or not...

...you can only choose if you stay with your partner, you can't choose if they stay with you.

As far as the assumption that you can choose your partner carefully, vet their family, look at their pedigree...seriously.

I come from a family of 8 children (#3 myself)...and we are all extremely varied...extremely. There are very hard workers making 1%er money and near homeless, we have artists, professionals, highly educated, college dropouts, my brother has one of the top salons in the nation (ranked Salon of the Year by a major industry publication), and then I have a few sisters that stay at home. Some are hugely religious and some agnostic...and this is all with in ONE family, not even going up or down generations or out the family tree.

And mental illness, you will find this in every family tree...depression, anxiety disorder, eating disorder, bipolar, schizophrenia, dependancies...etc. Go very far out in any family tree and you are bound to find this.

Sure there are some red flags and blaring sirens in YOUR relationships, does YOUR partner beat you, do they use drugs, do they have compulsive destructive behavior...But, there are tons of people that are none of these, sure they have their quirks, but I bet you do too...

...but put them in a divorce situation and you will see a side of them you did not know existed....clueless, I and lots of others here can attest to this if you choose to listen.

Because, and this is the only pearl I offer here (from my own experience - echoed by others)...if you EVER do divorce, the person you go through divorce with will be a person you have never met, they will be completely unrecognizable to you...

...this comes from countless men and women who have been down this road...

Anyone who has NOT been divorced, quite honestly, can NOT tell you how their current spouse would treat them, or if they could work together, because they have only lived a couple life not a legal feud life with them.

But, statistics being what they are, and human nature being what it is, and the difference of the sexes (they are very different), and inputs and support systems getting involved, and the advice being given...if you go through divorce your experience is NOT LIKELY to be different that what others have told you...sorry, it's just not going to be.

...quite honestly, anyone currently married can't even truthfully tell you if their marriage will ultimately be an asset or a liability, because that all depends on if the marriage survives to their death or not...try as they might, no one can REALLY know this...if it does it could well be an asset (but maybe not)...if it fails, then quite possibly the greatest liability of their life...

So, listen up, be aware, learn from our mistakes, and be smart about how you approach relationships....this is what mentorship is all about, not having to learn everything from your own experiences.

Don't put your trust (and ACT) because of emotions...your emotions are more often than not clouding your rational judgement. Take time to sit by yourself and seriously ponder your life and what you want.

If you choose marriage, whether or not you actually do get a prenup, you should 100% discuss getting one and the specific details of what you would want and expect, if you don't you really truly have no clue what the other person thinks...this has to be a real discussion not a "hey sweetie, just wondering if we ever got divorced would you try to F#$% me over"...be SPECIFIC...full disclosure type of stuff.

Discuss this at length...this will be a huge eye opener for ALL of you, you will see attitudes and opinions emanating from your partner (man or women) that ARE 100% completely foreign to you, things you have zero insight into...things that might actually terrify you.

If you are married, discuss with your partner a post-nup agreement...for the same reason, because you are going to see and hear things that will blow your mind!!

You DON'T know your partner nearly as well as you profess you do, and they will PROVE IT to you...you've just never given them the opportunity to show you yet, give them that opportunity now...

...you might just change your mind, not necessarily about being married (or getting married), but about how well you know this person you sleep next to at night, and what YOU want and expect from the relationship.

My parting thought on marriage...."Sigfried and Roy"

...what do I mean by this...

Marriage is like a white tiger, it can be freaking awesome (can you imagine having such an amazing creature), until the moment that it isn't and you get bit in the Jugular. But there is no way to know if the tiger will bite you in the jugular or not (no matter how many years you have been together)

But...In all fairness, a Tiger is a Tiger, what do you expect?

...But then again a scared person (man and woman) going through a unfamiliar scary legal system fraught with peril, is a scared caged animal too, so what do you expect?

-----------------------------------

IN FAIRNESS ::

Now, I know there are stories on this thread of people who had easy splits, but if you read between the lines, you will see that the reason there was no fight...there was nothing to fight for.

If you have nearly equal incomes, not a lot saved, and no children...it'll almost certainly be easy for you....100% of zero (low) net worth is still zero (or near zero).

And because of the sheer expense of fighting (attorneys are usually $200-500+ hr), if you fight for nothing you will end up HUGELY in the red...and quite truthfully will have a near impossible time even finding an attorney that will be willing to fight for you...no money, no attorney.

Since this is an entrepreneur board, it should be a fair assumption that we all have/had or plan to have a large asset cache or income someday...if you do, you will almost certainly not have an "easy" divorce story should you be so unlucky someday...

This is the assumption in this post and other posts on the peril's of divorce...that you are a high earner with grossly disproportionate incomes (yours much higher) to your partner (man or woman).

Fast lane divorces and sidewalk divorces are completely different beasts, don't be mislead into believing they are or will be the same...high asset divorces often last many years or even a decade with associated huge costs in both $$ and years and years of emotional distress dealing with the legal system.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Truth is, most people not emotionally capable to have a successful marriage, just like many don't have the grind to run their own businesses.
It is really funny to me that I never realized how similar my business experience is to my marriage.

I've been in business for about a year, and I been married for about 10.

I jumped in thinking I knew what i was doing. I had a plan. Once the "event" had passed, I realized there was no plan.
I struggled.
I screwed up, regularly.
I had to learn to suck it up. Take it on the chin. I had to become a man and take responsibility not just for my actions, but the results that they produced.
I almost quit. Several times.
I spent time alone, thinking I had made a mistake.
But I kept going.
I started to realize that my problems came from.... me. My weakness reflected off of my mistakes can look a lot like other people.
I started to focus on growing. On learning. On producing the results I wanted.
And things shifted.
I started to become who I knew I could be, in spite of the circumstances that I used to blame for "holding me back".
The person I am today was forged in the fire of figuring it out. Making it work.

So am I talking about my fumble through entrepreneurship, or marriage?

Both. I know I approach getting what I want differently than most, but I think there is something to knowing what you want and doing what it takes to make it work, even when it hurts like hell and you look like a damn fool trying to figure it out. That is growth. I am not the guy to ask how to avoid creating problems for yourself, but I am a guy that can get you through some s*** by solving them.

Which would you rather be?

I find it funny that we all look at the "fear of failing" in business as a character flaw, and yet we look at the fear of failing in marriage as a positive characteristic.

You can easily lose everything with both - and you could die tomorrow either way.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Well, I'm back, and boy, this thread has gotten really long.

After reading, I have a couple more things to add.

The first is that the argument against marriage in most of this thread has hinged on the presupposition that there is nothing that married couples can do that cohabiting couples can't do.

"If you can get rings, get married in a religious-only ceremony by a religious authority, change your name, buy a house, have kids, and grow old together, what's the point of inviting the state in? It grants no benefits and poses substantial liabilities!"

Sounds great, unfortunately...

tW6CrnW.png

In fact, part of the reason why there has been such a hullabaloo over marriage for gay and lesbian people in most states has not been because of the rings and church and property buying, but because the other benefits that come along with not just having an established relationship, but one in which the government officially recognizes as familial, are not inconsiderable. They include:

1. Automatic Hospital visitation privileges. By being married, you automatically have full visitation privileges for your critically ill partner who is unable to respond to questions about visitors. If you have a cohabitation agreement or no agreement, you'll need to file all sorts of additional paperwork with your doctor and local hospital, and pray the accident happens in the vicinity of a place where those documents are on file. @Iwokeup or @GIlman probably know tons more about this subject, but I know from my own background that if a spouse or parent isn't present and no AD/DNR is on file (which, if you're young, unmarried, and in exceptional health, it probably isn't), the hospital will often default to an ethical decision tree for critical care or end of life decisions in which the proposed "cohabitation agreement" would land you near the bottom of people to be considered in the decision making process, likely after your partner's surviving biological relatives, who may be estranged, malicious, or any manner of things. If your partner's family loves you, NBD, but if they hate you, this could spell big problems with no legal recourse for you, because in the eyes of the government, you essentially have no legal relationship, while your partner and his/her biological family do.

2. Shared health care, dental, and optical coverage with a flick of the pen. Many of us have slow-lane spouses whose jobs provide health care as one of their benefits. Although the cost of paying for your own health care might be trivial to a retired fastlaner, it most definitely is not to a huge number of young people just starting on this journey. Getting good dental and optical care is also essential. When I was in graduate school and, in the eyes of conventional wisdom, pretty young to be married, I developed a bone infection in my jaw that required both hospitalization and a dental specialist to treat. My out of pocket expenses for the whole ordeal were around $200, but the insurance soaked up bills soaring up to nearly $30,000 by the time everything was done. Even today, $30K would be a huge punch in the gut, but back then, it'd have totally cleaned my clock.

I'd have had to choose between the following options:

A. Pay about $500/mo for the dental, vision, and medical care I would have needed to cover these bills. Yes, cheaper plans exist, but these pay only a percentage for treatments, and then I'd have been on the hook for 0.15*30,000=4500, not chump change either for a starving student.

B. File for bankruptcy. This might have worked for me, but as a Fastlaner, you'd have to be sure that you skate under the Chapter 7 Means litmus or the Chapter 13 Debt Limits (much easier, but you're on the hook for more money afterward). Also, my credit would have been boned, I'd have been out of school because I was unable to pay, and as a result, I'd also likely be back in my parent's basement or homeless, which would be fun.

C. Get married and enjoy my wife's free healthcare and get sick whenever without worrying about it.​

Unlike the AD/DNR option of point 1, there is typically no "consent/ascent" workaround for this.Your partner's insurance company will probably tell you to pound sand unless her employer is very magnanimous, it's entirely up to them if they want to offer of the benefits to you, they're under no federal obligation to do so.

3. Shared pension and life insurance benefits with great ease. Not everyone who begins the fastlane journey is a spring chicken, some worked in the slow-lane for a period of time, and may have a pension which, depending on the circumstances, could be worth five, six, or even low seven-figure amounts. Again, so far as I know, there is absolutely no circumstances where an unmarried partner would be eligible for a slice of this pie.

A full list of the federal benefits of marriage can be indirectly accessed [here.](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rights_and_responsibilities_of_marriages_in_the_United_States)

Second, I want to hold the thread to the statistical stuff we've already talked about. People keep saying that you have a 50/50 shot of failing at this, when you probably don't, as I showed earlier. I want to also bring up the notion that there is a lot of worst-case scaremongering going on. To analogize, the arguments some are making are a bit akin to saying:

"There are 10.8 Million car crashes in the USA each year. That means each year, you have a 3.4% chance of getting into a car crash. And do you know what happens in a crash? You can be impaled on your steering wheel and simultaneously decapitated by a flying tire, and your daughters will be in the back seat watching your core-sampled decapitated body flail and gush gore all over them, scarring them for life and causing them both to get into hard drugs, get owned by pimps who put them in degradation porn, and ultimately commit suicide at age 23. I'm a crime scene investigator and I've seen it happen, and I've heard about it on the news too! Never drive!"

To speak plainly, the wrong assumptions are:

1. Everyone is equally likely to meet with a misadventure in the given area (already shown to be outrageously false, yet repeated frequently after that post in this thread).

2. Conflating the statistical probability of any misadeventure with the statistical probability of that misadeventure having the worst possible outcome, i.e., you being decapitated in a mild fender bender driving your daughters home from dance, or, to come back to our topic, being on the hook for $300k/yr child support in a divorce and losing your 145 year old family business to a disgruntled ex.​

So, if you're like me, your odds of divorce are probably more like 1/100 or 1/1000 than 1/2, and the odds that that divorce will financially ruin me for life are a fraction of that fraction, maybe 1/10000 or 1/100,000. Yet constantly, we hear that 50% of us will face the problem of a six-figure alimony payment, homelessness, and the loss of our companies if we're not careful. We all know enough divorced people who are living normal lives, outside of debtor's prison, to know that that outcome is not the regular case.

Most of the thread so far has assumed that the readers are all millionaires contemplating marriage, so small bonuses like these will be of no consequence to them. Of course, that's blatantly false, not only most of the readers, but most of the contributors to this thread are not multimillionaires. Having good health care at age 24 when you have a net worth of $12,000 is not a small deal. It is a huge deal. $300, 400, or $500/mo for health care, dental, and vision is not a small deal at that age, it is a huge deal. Not enough to make marriage a lock, for sure, but it shouldn't be ignored. After all, no family court judge is going to sentence a broke 25 year old Organo Gold salesman to pay $200,000 in annual alimony from their $22,000/yr salary when their marriage fails, but the hospital sure as hell will try and collect $300,000 from that same broke 25 year old when his appendix perforates and he lands in their ER, ICU, and PT wing with no insurance.

Finally, I want to talk about something more speculative. I'm sure the logical fallacy has a name, but it's not quite Hindsight Bias or the genetic fallacy, so I'm going to tentatively term the phrase "alternate universe fallacy" and replace it with the right term if such comes to light. This fallacy refers to the notion that we could have gotten to where we are today, or where we had hoped in our minds that we would be by now, by extracting some major deleterious episode in our life like a spouse we parted from on bad terms. It's easy to look at someone, like a tycoon who made his fortune by 30, got married to a young waitress at 36, then got sued for half his fortune in family court at age 38, as having been the victim of someone claiming a big chunk of his success who obviously had nothing to do with it. But for many of us, who met our spouses early in life, it's not so abundantly clear that, even if they're slow-lane, we'd really be the same people fundamentally without them. MJ might wish he had gone fastlane without the MLM BS and limo driver drudgery, but who's to say that without the experience of being a limo driver, he would have ever become rich?

We all know that there is a huge difference between an employee and an owner, not just financially (full vested stake vs. paid out of the pot and able to be fired), but in terms of commitment. Those of us in healthy marriages know the depths we go to for our spouses, doing things that, at least in my case, I never did for any girlfriend. Maybe that kind of thing can be developed over time, but if we're trying to have this conversation fairly, isn't it logical to at least consider the possibility that the option to leave damage-free and risk-free may incite the same lack of total, to-the-bitter-end commitment that we often see in employees but regularly find in owners? Marriage is no guarantee of the reverse, obviously, just like being CEO isn't a guarantee that you'll work hard, but it could be, and from there, it doesn't seem to be a far leap to postulate that getting 110% from your spouse in terms of support, willingness to suffer, etc. might be essential to you making it to the finish line as a business owner, i.e., being one of the very, very, very few people reading this thread who will ever even have millions of dollars to fret over some spouse leaving with. We might imagine that, in an alternate universe, we wouldn't need our wife of 20 years who eventually wanted out to make our big break, but I submit that if you got together 10, 15, or more years before your "big break," you shouldn't be so sure.

Anyway, this thread has certainly given everybody a lot to think about, as did Z's talk at the meeting. Although I think marriage is a good thing and people should do it under the right circumstances, I agree that it isn't for everybody, and I think the data certainly supports avoiding it at a very young age, and avoiding it if either you or your spouse are under or likely to be a source of financial strain for each other.

I guess the best advice is, if money is important enough to you to dictate your love life, don't marry someone less successful than you. This entire thread has (for the most part) assumed that every man on here will become a millionaire, and eventually get hitched with some conniving, impoverished housewife. The world is full of successful women. I got asked out by a neurosurgeon once; there was no doubt who was wearing the financial pants in that equation. They exist, and if business forums and networks like this work to be less sexist and more inclusive, more of them will exist every day.

Since the women have been pretty guiltless of this "my lover is going to be a burden on me" line of thinking in this thread, maybe the guys worrying about some Eve handing you a poison apple in family court need to get with somebody of similar financial means, get your prenups, and have fun conquering the world together.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yep. Because he didn't post in any other threads. Weak. Can u stick that nose any further up? Lol.
@KLaw ... I'd class this as disdain for MJ.

Also, "Question everything" doesn't mean have running battles with mods.

There's quite a few threads recently where people are getting into heated debates, over nothing really.

Firstly, business is about relationships. What type of relationships are we building when we battle with everyone over things of inconsequence? Many people subscribe to "how you do anything is how you do everything" - that includes how you relate to people on an Internet forum.

Every single interaction, or lack of, speaks volume about us.

What relationships are we building by being on this forum?

Secondly, winners don't stop to fight or argue. They're focused on their own path and journey. Me? I'll let anyone have the last word. I'll say my piece and keep moving. I'll not get dragged into someone else's battle.

I say this all constructively @KLaw, purely because you seem sincere in your last post.

DreamsCameTrue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Jun 29, 2014
Hollywood Hills
Misogyny? This post was for women as much as men. A wealthy woman can be wiped out by lawyers just as easily as a man. Lawyers don't care if the money comes from a woman or a man.

As usual, any "outside the mainstream" idea gets labeled politcally incorrect.

"My mom would have a heart attack" is a great post by Bila :) That's one of the main reasons people get married and take a huge financial risk- family pressure from old people who think the old laws still apply.

OK now let's not get too off course here....who watched the Divorce Corp trailer I posted? Did anyone watch the full movie yet?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.