The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Present the "why", sell the "how"

D

Deleted50669

As I'm still essentially a neanderthal at entrepreneurship, the concept of "present the 'why', sell the 'how'" has thus far eluded me.

I've done some analysis on popular blogs to distill key concepts, and one of the invariable elements seems to be an author saying something to the effect of;

"See this sh*t right here? This is really good sh*t because X, Y, Z. I'll trade you your email for a small taste of this sh*t." When then hooks for the upsell for a an unrivaled presentation of value on said sh*t.

Looking at the approach I've been taking, I'm giving the why AND the how. This would be good for ad revenue, less so for the sale of digital products.

Open to expansion / feedback on this line of thought.

- Cheers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
why are you better than the competition? are you more expensive or cheaper? does your page look great or crap? is it unique, and my favorite.

omfg im on the web and these ***** ads are allover my browser.

look into alex becker, he has some informative videos on online selling

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
"present the 'why', sell the 'how'"

That's an interesting way to phrase it, where did you hear that?

Looking at the approach I've been taking, I'm giving the why AND the how. This would be good for ad revenue, less so for the sale of digital products.

I met a great APP developer recently, who I've become great friends with over the past year.

He makes freemium style apps, and gets this question frequently:

"How do you balance giving enough away to keep people interested, but not enough to make them want more?"
(Churchill likened it to a skirt: long enough to cover the subject, short enough to create interest)

The meme going around these days, is you "reverse engineer" your target market.

He looks at it through a different lens -> you work your way out from the middle.

In the center you have the core idea
To the left, you have the people who will never pay no matter what (however, they are the driving force for word of mouth. they'll share on social media, they'll provide social proof)
To the right, you have people who will always pay (for convenience, for being in an exclusive club or community, etc.)

So he's essentially still giving away everything, but not sacrificing the product for it.

You could argue that it's still reverse engineering, but still an interesting perspective.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I'm writing an ebook as a lead magnet at the moment, and finding it helpful to remember to "sell the benefits" (why) rather than list the features (how) in the free version.

It's a book about how to successfully do x to become y. Rather than talk about x or y I ask myself why do they want to become y, and talk about that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.