The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Potential client asked If I'm insured - is this a deal killer if no?

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
So, I own a software company that allows businesses to create intranets and other systems.

Obviously there is some sensitive data that can be hosted in these systems like company files, user accounts, user meta-data. I have a potential client asking about Errors and Omissions insurance, liability insurance.

I'm kind of winging this side of it, I've pitched to multiple companies, already have a big client, and no one has ever asked..

I always assumed I would be more the one taking the risk should a data breach occur (as unlikely as it is). I'm assuming they think it's a risk that we'd be worth nothing should they sue us?

How common does this come up, and is it typically a deal breaker?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

U2ForNow

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 28, 2017
Peoria, AZ
What G-Man said. If you're serious about your business, get a policy. Not sure where you are but I would guess a policy is only a few hundred dollars if it's a small operation.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Obviously there is some sensitive data that can be hosted in these systems like company files, user accounts, user meta-data. I have a potential client asking about Errors and Omissions insurance, liability insurance.

Get insured man

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
BizInsure.com -- you should be able to pickup a policy pretty easy, and not too expensive.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
My industry requires E & O Policy. Most of my clients ask me to send them my cert of insurance annually before we renew contracts. It's $600 or so for a 3 million dollar policy. It's worth it to me, since I know some of my local competitors don't have it and have missed out on clients because of it. I work in an industry that is risky by nature so I am not sure if my price is more expensive than software but I also have access to lots of personal and potential information which is why I like my policy to stay at 3 million.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
My industry requires E & O Policy. Most of my clients ask me to send them my cert of insurance annually before we renew contracts. It's $600 or so for a 3 million dollar policy. It's worth it to me, since I know some of my local competitors don't have it and have missed out on clients because of it. I work in an industry that is risky by nature so I am not sure if my price is more expensive than software but I also have access to lots of personal and potential information which is why I like my policy to stay at 3 million.

I guess you learn something new every day! Thanks for the info

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I personally avoided insurance for as long as I felt like I could (based on the belief it would be too complicated or expensive)... recently got a $2M policy that covers a stupendous amount of possible screw-ups or not-at-fault accidents, and costs about $100 a month. Definitely worth the peace of mind AND you can tell your clients you're covered! Do it. haha

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
So, I own a software company that allows businesses to create intranets and other systems.

I'm kind of winging this side of it, I've pitched to multiple companies, already have a big client, and no one has ever asked..

I always assumed I would be more the one taking the risk should a data breach occur (as unlikely as it is). I'm assuming they think it's a risk that we'd be worth nothing should they sue us?

How common does this come up, and is it typically a deal breaker?
The guy wants peace of mind. Play this for him:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5dpBpaFiMo

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.