The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Post all of your ideas and random problems you’ll never execute on...

JustinBoshans

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 14, 2013
So the local axe throwing business closed down and I was talking about it with the missus.

Why not just do a mobile axe throwing business for parties.

People want to throw axes but maybe only once and maybe only with a group so why not just forgo all the overheads and staffing and take it to parties and events.

Not fastlane unless you somehow franchised it but man what a hustle. Buy a couple of axes and make some kind of safe portable fence and target setup and you’re in business.
I live in a large city that has about 3 axe throwing places within a few miles of me. One of them has a trailer sitting in their parking lot with 2 axe throwing boards inside separated by a barrier for just that purpose.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

terrordread

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Dec 26, 2020
I think we need a random off topic chat thread where we just dump all of our half fleshed out ideas that we will never do anything with and discuss them, things that are not worthy of an INE or their own thread.

Why? Maybe someone from the forum will solve your problem for you. Maybe you’ll find a half baked idea you can develop into something.

I’ll start with mine:
- Uber for freight, there’s a massive shortage of freight drivers right now, how about someone with a Ute/truck can just do bulk local b2b deliveries for warehouses like an Uber.
- people with Crohn’s disease sometimes have to do these strict diets where they only eat these shakes, they do this for months and they only have 3 flavours. I think this is the case anyway I don’t have crohns but I remember a workmate doing it years ago and complaining there was only 3 flavours, how to spot an idea 101.
- a phone charger cable that’s some kind of folding circuit board that folds up shaped like a credit card. Definitely doable with the new thin connectors and the usb that are just the flat board part of it.
- a print on demand 3D printing business that prints peoples custom in game characters from games like RuneScape, this is probably the best of these ideas, it would make a huge business if it was done well
- when houses are auctioned people have to get a house inspection before they bid because they can’t do it after they bid, this can get really expensive if you lose a bunch of auctions and is so inefficient. Set up a business that inspects every house being auctioned and just resells the same inspection to anyone interested. Even better if you just pay a share to someone who’s had an inspection done there already and gives it to you to resell to recoup some money.
- yoga mat covers like towels that slip over the mat, cool patterns, washable, grippy. I think I’ve started seeing these now but still an idea.

That’s all I’ve got, hopefully some others a willing to share theirs.

It doesn’t matter how terrible they are just share them here it’s what it’s for.
Yoga mat covers with better designs could be a great ecom biz.

terrordread

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Dec 26, 2020
I have 50 healthy snack vending machines in Phoenix, Las Vegas and Salt Lake City, and growing quickly. They pay very well when you put them in the right locations. It turns out people would rather eat healthier snacks/beverages, but they aren't widely available and convenient as the unhealthy options.
Vending machines that sell sun cream and cold bottled water placed in beach car parks..?

terrordread

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Dec 26, 2020
I was shopping at a local grocery store with my girlfriend when we got those "would you like to donate" popups at the checkout. I wanted to help out because it seemed like the popup was for a good cause when my girlfriend stopped me, saying stuff like "that money never actually goes to the charity and instead the grocery store."

This really stuck with me as it made me more compelled to donate to a charity simply because I wanted to support even the smallest amount to a cause I really care about. I believe that there are many also like me who want to support a good cause every so often but find it a little inconvenient to go out of their way to.

I've been sitting on this idea for a little bit and would like someone's advice on whether or not it would be good.

An awareness app that alerts you of good causes around the world to support everytime you make a purchase. Much like the alerts you get at a grocery store that tell you to donate to their fund but more mobile and the money actually goes to the good cause.

For example, let's say Suzy bought a coffee from starbucks.

The app would notify provide the following message through her notifications:

Hey [Suzy], your [$6.13] purchase from [Starbucks] has gone through.

According to Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO), about 1,000 sea turtles die annually from digesting plastic.

Would you like to round up 87 cents towards the TeamSeas ocean clean up campaign?

Suzy, now more aware of the problems surrounding the world around her, is more likely to click on the notification and donate 87 cents towards the campaign.

With more and more payment methods designed around our phones like apple pay and banking apps, privacy issues would not pose too much of a problem.

As an additional bonus, increased consumerism is taking over the world. This may help people be more aware of their purchasing habits. I haven't looked into it but I think a yearly total of money donated could go in as a tax write-off??

From a business standpoint, I'm unsure of how one would profit off of an app like this.
I understand that the app acorns kind of does the same thing but invests the money in the stock market and charges a subscription fee, but to be honest I'm not looking at the idea from a pure profit standpoint. In The Great Rat Race Escape , MJ mentions the "billionaire thought experiment" as a way to find a purpose, and I feel like creating an app like this is something I would do purely because I think it'll benefit the world.

At the same time, I'm still struggling to get out of mediocrity and start providing value and making money and wonder if I should try to focus on an idea that would first get me past the slowlane.
In some supermarkets near me, you're given a little green token for every £10 you spend. On your way to the exit they have boxes into which you put your tokens. Each box is for a different local charity and for each token the supermarket donates £1. I could see your idea really taking off with small local charities that struggle to get media coverage and fundraise large amounts - for them, it would really make a world of difference.

Recording interviews and short films about what these charities do and what your rounded-up money goes towards would raise awareness in the patron/consumer for some of the issues in their local community that they might otherwise not know about.

Simply allow the app to access location services, round up your spending, and choose where you want it to go. Talk about making the world better through entrepreneurship.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Another problem that I found from an off grid living book,

¨In the average home, more than 50 percent of the electricity used to power electronics is consumed while the devices are turned off! In the United States alone, phantom load costs consumers more than $3 billion a year and adds up to the output of several full-size power plants.¨

Phantom load is an issue but not sure how companies will respond to this.

DarkZero

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 29, 2013
I live in a large city that has about 3 axe throwing places within a few miles of me. One of them has a trailer sitting in their parking lot with 2 axe throwing boards inside separated by a barrier for just that purpose.
My neighbor recently ordered one of these services for a party. Trailer with axe throwing got dropped off in the driveway. Digital screens inside. Lighting. Basically a party on wheels. Really cool set up.

Powered by an F150 powerboost.

$$$

MurphysOneStop

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 26, 2022
Braxton, MS
Universal health file. Even in a small country like Belgium, the health files are either not digitized and still on paper or they are using a different database. Everytime I move I need to request my medical history file and take it to my new doctor. Even the hospitals are not linked, same deal, need to take the documents on paper, or request my old doctor/hospital to transfer it to another hospital. And thats in a small country like Belgium, good luck when you are on vacation in Thailand and need an urgent operation.

Thought a lot on this idea a couple years back, but too much for me to handle alone.
I've thought of this for the U.S.! It never made sense why they ask inane questions when they could just reference a physical database.

General JB2006

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 30, 2022
- Weed Vending Machine
- Healthy Snack Vending Machine
- Lotion to remove callus
- Glow in the dark escape puzzle room
- Salt water float spa
- store that Renta beach gear near beaches
- Supplement that gets rid of seasonal-depression
- Heat reactive tinted windows, the windows will tint when in sunlight
- Death clock, clock that counts down to your death in seconds
- Uber for hauling horses or cattle
- dating app for ugly people, ban any attractive people that go there
- Faucet soap dispenser, soap mixes in with water when rinsing hands with a press of a button

You’re welcome
The heat reactive tint windows are very possible. My dad has a pair of glasses that work as a normal pair of glasses and it darkens when it is too bright.

shashikr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
May 8, 2022
india
- Weed Vending Machine
- Healthy Snack Vending Machine
- Lotion to remove callus
- Glow in the dark escape puzzle room
- Salt water float spa
- store that Renta beach gear near beaches
- Supplement that gets rid of seasonal-depression
- Heat reactive tinted windows, the windows will tint when in sunlight
- Death clock, clock that counts down to your death in seconds
- Uber for hauling horses or cattle
- dating app for ugly people, ban any attractive people that go there
- Faucet soap dispenser, soap mixes in with water when rinsing hands with a press of a button

You’re welcome
We cannot label someone just attractive/unattractive. If one person seems attractive to u then it doesn't mean it seems attractive to someone else too.

Actionary

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Aug 14, 2014
We cannot label someone just attractive/unattractive. If one person seems attractive to u then it doesn't mean it seems attractive to someone else too.
True, but on that note,

Here's an idea:

Creating a dating app for people who are handi-capped or differently abled.

People who are quadreplegics, have vision impairments, or might be deaf.
For some reason on apps like tinder, bumble, etc people in these groups are totally looked over.

We could buy an app template and slap a logo on that sucker, and spend the actual investments advertising on facebook groups and forums to solve the chicken and egg marketplace problem.

Also adding in filter to avoid abuse by malfactors, like limiting the amount of people you see per day, or having a report button and more.

The Sandman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jul 12, 2022
1660152133947-png.113211

Stephan Fradette

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 28, 2019
Quebec
I have 50 healthy snack vending machines in Phoenix, Las Vegas and Salt Lake City, and growing quickly. They pay very well when you put them in the right locations. It turns out people would rather eat healthier snacks/beverages, but they aren't widely available and convenient as the unhealthy options.
Can I ask how do you start a health food vending machine biz? Is that a franchise or distribution deal? I’m interested . I’m in Eastern Canada. Thanks

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Can I ask how do you start a health food vending machine biz? Is that a franchise or distribution deal? I’m interested . I’m in Eastern Canada. Thanks
I own the machines, and I just open up wholesale accounts with the food/beverage companies and order from them. But I think I'm going to start selling my machines and doing just distribution. I can sell a lot more snacks that way.

Stephan Fradette

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 28, 2019
Quebec
I own the machines, and I just open up wholesale accounts with the food/beverage companies and order from them. But I think I'm going to start selling my machines and doing just distribution. I can sell a lot more snacks that way.
Thanks for your reply. Do you mean distribution of the snacks or the machines? Appreciate your input

DuncDad

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 8, 2016
My two pennies worth:
- A commercial cafe coffee machine that's quiet and quick. I don't know how people sit in cafes with all hissing, banging, splurting racket those awful machines make. It's like trying to relax in a steam train factory. I say bring back instant coffee!
- A plank, or something to fix all the wretched tv/hifi/whatever remotes to so you can't loose them. 'Where's the f**king dibber gone!!' Also make it glow in the dark.
Hi Leo,
Having owned a cafe in the past, I agree with the first one 100%. The Nespresso Commercial machines use a pod-type arrangement, at least that makes the grinding noise, usually, the worst noise, go away.
I would also add that if I did a cafe again, there would only be 2 sizes and 2 colours and 1 milk. Say no to the double decaf cappuccino with a twist of lemon!

DuncDad

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 8, 2016
Create some kind of mountable horn that you can attach to the back of your car where you can wirelessly activate it to tell those that are following too closely behind you to go piss off.
Here in Australia, when the police first got LED signs on the roof, they had the ability to type in custom messages - let's just say that was abused and now they only have preset messages :)

DuncDad

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 8, 2016
I like this idea. I have sold without a RE agent every property I have owned. The last one was listed with an agent for a very long time because I was otherwise occupied, and finally I advertised on a Sale By Owner site and sold the property within a few weeks.

For the sale of one of my properties, not only did I advertise and sell it privately, but I also purchased a guide to DIY the conveyancing process, and that went through very smoothly. Such a guide could be a worthwhile bonus on such a site.

Walter
Real estate on the blockchain will come. :cool:
All relevant documents and transactions happening on-chain. no agents, no legals, and potentially not even banks will be required. The greatest barrier to this is the Govt legislations around property ownership

DuncDad

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 8, 2016
I have 2 Vitamix. One is at least 10 years old and works perfectly. The other I bought for the office.

I think if you are to make a product that is built to last, and charge accordingly, you have to choose carefully so the design doesn't go to far out of style, or maybe style doesn't matter so much. Like my Webber grill.
My mum still has an Osterizer blender she bought in the early 60s. Just needs a new seal as it leaks a little

DuncDad

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 8, 2016
Another problem that I found from an off grid living book,

¨In the average home, more than 50 percent of the electricity used to power electronics is consumed while the devices are turned off! In the United States alone, phantom load costs consumers more than $3 billion a year and adds up to the output of several full-size power plants.¨

Phantom load is an issue but not sure how companies will respond to this.
A friend of mine lived off-grid. Solar and batteries only. When they updated their old fridge, they reduced their power consumption by 25%, that s was 2 years ago. If they updated again, they could get a bigger fridge that uses the same power!
I recently updated my hot water heater, the old one was 17 years old. The new one is 20% greater capacity and my electricity usage for hot water, halved!

TheJon

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 7, 2022
Philadelphia PA - USA
Here's a half baked from me!

An app that lets servers sign up under their restaurants, like door dash, maybe even using door dash to fulfill.

Essentially instead of placing the order with doordash, you pick out your restaurant and server on this app, they chat or video with you, they check over your order, make sure your sauces are in there, make sure everything is right, maybe even review it via video. Then it goes out for delivery.

The benefit is to directly profit the restaurant and servers who now are kind of getting screwed by uber and doordash, and to get the customer direct, better service those apps don't really give

The problem is, I don't know if that better service is worth the extra tip to a real person. The next problem is I'm not entirely sure how I'd profit from such a thing, it'd just be nice for the customers and servers

Somebody help me bake it or steal it and I'll use it :)

DuncDad

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 8, 2016
I call it the 'Fischer Switch'

How many times do cars have nose-to-tail accidents crawling along in traffic. Half the reason is a lack of small movement perception of the drivers. SO without going into all the physics and psych it's as simple as slight change of logic in the cars.

This is even easier nowadays as the electronics are already on board, just need to have a slightly different logic for use. It is even more relevant for EVs with regenerative braking

• Traditionally. - Cars brake lights are triggered my a micro-switch on the brake pedal, foot on brake = lights on
  • My Idea - brake lights triggered when driver removes foot from throttle. Nearly all modern cars have a throttle position sensor built in, for older cars could be a simple retro-fit of a micro-switch on the throttle pedal. So whenever foot is off the throttle, brake lights ON - effectively making them deceleration lights
Let me know if you can get this into car safety standards. Insurance companies should also push for this as it would dramatically decrease accidents. I couldn't find a way to get $$ from this idea

@DuncDad

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K

How many times do cars have nose-to-tail accidents crawling along in traffic. Half the reason is a lack of small movement perception of the drivers. SO without going into all the physics and psych it's as simple as slight change of logic in the cars.

This is even easier nowadays as the electronics are already on board, just need to have a slightly different logic for use. It is even more relevant for EVs with regenerative braking

• Traditionally. - Cars brake lights are triggered my a micro-switch on the brake pedal, foot on brake = lights on
  • My Idea - brake lights triggered when driver removes foot from throttle. Nearly all modern cars have a throttle position sensor built in, for older cars could be a simple retro-fit of a micro-switch on the throttle pedal. So whenever foot is off the throttle, brake lights ON - effectively making them deceleration lights
Let me know if you can get this into car safety standards. Insurance companies should also push for this as it would dramatically decrease accidents. I couldn't find a way to get $$ from this idea

@DuncDad
As a manufacturer you'll make your money selling them to car manufacturers

Now if this idea really did decrease accidents significantly and legislation was passed in government requiring all cars to be fitted with them you'd be rolling in cash but I expect this would require some lobbying in government but the payoff could be enormous - as long as you can decrease production cost and keep your margins as high as poss

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
An app that shows you all the happy hour drink specials in the area within a distance you decide (e.g. 1km). You can search by price and/or drink and receive notifications when the current special ends and a new nearby one begins.

This would go well in my city as well with adding live music at venues and bars around town. How would you monetize it?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

@DuncDad
What a great idea, but I prefer a pre-emptive approach.........

A friend, now retired spent some years as a driving instructor in LA, and this is how his company instructors taught learners to avoid nose-to-tail accidents:

All the driving school's vehicles were fitted with paint ball devices. The instructors took the learner to a new subdivision where there were no houses built, or at least very few.

Having previously explained what would be done, at a suitable speed the instructor said: "STOP", and at that same moment pressed a button on the dash. This fired a paintball onto the ground. Then when the brake pedal was hit, another paintball fired. When they stopped the instructor pressed the button to fire another paintball.

The vehicle was then driven a short distance, where the trainee and instructor got out and walked back to the paint spots and the trainee was amazed as he/she heard: "This is where you stopped, this is where you hit the brake pedal, this is where I told you to brake."

At least some drivers in LA got to know about reaction time.

Walter.

Nomadic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jan 16, 2016
An app that you put all of your friends / family birthdays into. It integrates with amazon to tell you what they might want / need based on their amazon cart or shopping history, and it orders gifts for you in time enough for them to be there.

Birthday shopping automation

DuncDad

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 8, 2016
What a great idea, but I prefer a pre-emptive approach.........

A friend, now retired spent some years as a driving instructor in LA, and this is how his company instructors taught learners to avoid nose-to-tail accidents:

All the driving school's vehicles were fitted with paint ball devices. The instructors took the learner to a new subdivision where there were no houses built, or at least very few.

Having previously explained what would be done, at a suitable speed the instructor said: "STOP", and at that same moment pressed a button on the dash. This fired a paintball onto the ground. Then when the brake pedal was hit, another paintball fired. When they stopped the instructor pressed the button to fire another paintball.

The vehicle was then driven a short distance, where the trainee and instructor got out and walked back to the paint spots and the trainee was amazed as he/she heard: "This is where you stopped, this is where you hit the brake pedal, this is where I told you to brake."

At least some drivers in LA got to know about reaction time.

Walter.
No question that driver training would help massively, however lots of drivers out there have no skills and no requirement to get them. Here in Australia we have mandatory seal-belt laws, I believe there are still many states in the USA that do not have that

DuncDad

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 8, 2016
As a manufacturer you'll make your money selling them to car manufacturers

Now if this idea really did decrease accidents significantly and legislation was passed in government requiring all cars to be fitted with them you'd be rolling in cash but I expect this would require some lobbying in government but the payoff could be enormous - as long as you can decrease production cost and keep your margins as high as poss
Sadly, these days there is nothing to 'produce', the electronics are already in the cars. A few lines of code is about all it would take. Legislation would be the impetus for change

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
Sadly, these days there is nothing to 'produce', the electronics are already in the cars. A few lines of code is about all it would take. Legislation would be the impetus for change
that’s a fair point!

I’m back to square one with you then lol

Time to get the legislation passed

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads