The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Post all of your ideas and random problems you’ll never execute on...

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
Top of my list would be my failed invention, Miracle Brush this was shaped like a toothbrush having copper bristles in the middle and nylon bristles on the outer edge . Plastic frame small enough to scrub corner in a square pan and colored red. AS SEEN ON TV thought it could cause lawsuits . FULLER BRUSH COMPANY seemed interested but backed out during the last ten days of my Provisional Patent BRAUN was willing to manufacture it if they could change the design and charge me 160 per hour. Consider at the time in 2015 I was earning less than 10 dollars per hour and living paycheck to paycheck . As a dishwasher the goal was to find a way to scrub pans and not leave pieces of steel wool behind that sometimes ended up in customers food. Other ideas a mobile bus tub for clearing tables a bus tub on wheels not one that has to be carried. A app for cellphones you can use to record purchases it automatically records what you spent and where. This one is a little difficult as most cellphones can scan receipts but nothing exist that I know of that generates a receipt automatically just through hearing and recording a voice it should be a option when you speak in your cellphones that it generates
a receipt and files it in your phone. All I have in my inventors Journal that is still open. I have more but they are lined through they already exist and need no tweaking in my opinion .

Olivier20

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jun 23, 2022
Top of my list would be my failed invention, Miracle Brush this was shaped like a toothbrush having copper bristles in the middle and nylon bristles on the outer edge . Plastic frame small enough to scrub corner in a square pan and colored red. AS SEEN ON TV thought it could cause lawsuits . FULLER BRUSH COMPANY seemed interested but backed out during the last ten days of my Provisional Patent BRAUN was willing to manufacture it if they could change the design and charge me 160 per hour. Consider at the time in 2015 I was earning less than 10 dollars per hour and living paycheck to paycheck . As a dishwasher the goal was to find a way to scrub pans and not leave pieces of steel wool behind that sometimes ended up in customers food. Other ideas a mobile bus tub for clearing tables a bus tub on wheels not one that has to be carried. A app for cellphones you can use to record purchases it automatically records what you spent and where. This one is a little difficult as most cellphones can scan receipts but nothing exist that I know of that generates a receipt automatically just through hearing and recording a voice it should be a option when you speak in your cellphones that it generates
a receipt and files it in your phone. All I have in my inventors Journal that is still open. I have more but they are lined through they already exist and need no tweaking in my opinion .
Your first idea just gave me another thought. Recently my girlfriend and I bought a Frigidaire dishwasher. What a piece of crap ! Everything made out of plastic. The door latch failed after only a month and a half of use. Had hard time contacting Frigidaire (no direct line need to give an email and a number for someone to call you back).

I just thought we should start again doing what was made in the past - > everything made out of steel. Just need to buy an actual home appliance, copy every piece of it and then cast it with steel.

The thing is : how to make this without costing an astronomical amount of money ?

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Your first idea just gave me another thought. Recently my girlfriend and I bought a Frigidaire dishwasher. What a piece of crap ! Everything made out of plastic. The door latch failed after only a month and a half of use. Had hard time contacting Frigidaire (no direct line need to give an email and a number for someone to call you back).

I just thought we should start again doing what was made in the past - > everything made out of steel. Just need to buy an actual home appliance, copy every piece of it and then cast it with steel.

The thing is : how to make this without costing an astronomical amount of money ?
I had a gas Webber grill. It was a bit pricy but came with a lifetime warranty. The push button starter failed. I called Webber and they sent me a new one after 3 years of use. No questions. There is a market that will pay for an excellent product with such a great warranty and reputation.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
- Weed Vending Machine
- Healthy Snack Vending Machine
- Lotion to remove callus
- Glow in the dark escape puzzle room
- Salt water float spa
- store that Renta beach gear near beaches
- Supplement that gets rid of seasonal-depression
- Heat reactive tinted windows, the windows will tint when in sunlight
- Death clock, clock that counts down to your death in seconds
- Uber for hauling horses or cattle
- dating app for ugly people, ban any attractive people that go there
- Faucet soap dispenser, soap mixes in with water when rinsing hands with a press of a button

You’re welcome
The washing hands one GOLDEN if you market it allow me to be a prospect.

Kimmy XD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I have always thought of buying a plot of land and create some sort of primitive camping spot (while I still don't know what to do with it) depending on how big it is. It's probably not a very lucrative business as it would probably be dead during winter season, but the maintenance would be so minimal. The land over at NE Washington is pretty cheap with wildlife ranging from gray wolves to grizzlies and black bears. Ah, nature.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I had a gas Webber grill. It was a bit pricy but came with a lifetime warranty. The push button starter failed. I called Webber and they sent me a new one after 3 years of use. No questions. There is a market that will pay for an excellent product with such a great warranty and reputation.
There’s a subreddit called buyitforlife

A massive built in customer base for products like this that’s only going to grow

I guess that’s the same problem these companies have, some probably do offer something like this but the price is probably double for basically the same product. Really it’s the customers who are the problem always buying the cheapest, not the companies trying to serve them.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
There’s a subreddit called buyitforlife

A massive built in customer base for products like this that’s only going to grow

I guess that’s the same problem these companies have, some probably do offer something like this but the price is probably double for basically the same product. Really it’s the customers who are the problem always buying the cheapest, not the companies trying to serve them.

Products can absolutely be built to last. But it’ll cost 5x the price and most people buy cheap. Except when we don’t… like my Vitamix blender. It can power a lawnmower! That shit will outlast anything.

Just remember that globalization and consumerism created a desire to keep changing products. If something lasts 20 years but doesn’t fit the decor of your hope in 3 years…

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Products can absolutely be built to last. But it’ll cost 5x the price and most people buy cheap. Except when we don’t… like my Vitamix blender. It can power a lawnmower! That shit will outlast anything.

Just remember that globalization and consumerism created a desire to keep changing products. If something lasts 20 years but doesn’t fit the decor of your hope in 3 years…
I have 2 Vitamix. One is at least 10 years old and works perfectly. The other I bought for the office.

I think if you are to make a product that is built to last, and charge accordingly, you have to choose carefully so the design doesn't go to far out of style, or maybe style doesn't matter so much. Like my Webber grill.

Jadus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 21, 2020
Thailand
Just for fun, here's an idea I've had for a long time. It may sound crazy and it would probably take an engineer or hiring one to get it designed. Manufacturing would not be cheap either.

I've lived in mosquito territory for a long time and one of the worse things is getting one in your room at night and not being able to find it with the lights out. They hide behind curtains, furniture or some other dark place until the lights go out. Then, they wait a while until they think you're asleep. Next thing you know is you have one buzzing in your ear, or if you're asleep, feasting on you.

My vision is to have a small machine that could scan the room at night with thermal imaging, target a mosquito if it finds one and fire a small but deadly (to mosquitos) laser at it and vaporize it. Of course, it would have to be programmed to not fire at any large thermal images, like you getting up to go to the bathroom.

Gusbrowne

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 25, 2022
Waterloo On
I think we need a random off topic chat thread where we just dump all of our half fleshed out ideas that we will never do anything with and discuss them, things that are not worthy of an INE or their own thread.

Why? Maybe someone from the forum will solve your problem for you. Maybe you’ll find a half baked idea you can develop into something.

I’ll start with mine:
- Uber for freight, there’s a massive shortage of freight drivers right now, how about someone with a Ute/truck can just do bulk local b2b deliveries for warehouses like an Uber.
- people with Crohn’s disease sometimes have to do these strict diets where they only eat these shakes, they do this for months and they only have 3 flavours. I think this is the case anyway I don’t have crohns but I remember a workmate doing it years ago and complaining there was only 3 flavours, how to spot an idea 101.
- a phone charger cable that’s some kind of folding circuit board that folds up shaped like a credit card. Definitely doable with the new thin connectors and the usb that are just the flat board part of it.
- a print on demand 3D printing business that prints peoples custom in game characters from games like RuneScape, this is probably the best of these ideas, it would make a huge business if it was done well
- when houses are auctioned people have to get a house inspection before they bid because they can’t do it after they bid, this can get really expensive if you lose a bunch of auctions and is so inefficient. Set up a business that inspects every house being auctioned and just resells the same inspection to anyone interested. Even better if you just pay a share to someone who’s had an inspection done there already and gives it to you to resell to recoup some money.
- yoga mat covers like towels that slip over the mat, cool patterns, washable, grippy. I think I’ve started seeing these now but still an idea.

That’s all I’ve got, hopefully some others a willing to share theirs.

It doesn’t matter how terrible they are just share them here it’s what it’s for

Think I’ll drop a few good ones for you guys.

FIFL

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Feb 17, 2015
Instead of an app I was thinking of a real life version of an digital alarm clock except there would be about 12-16 digits that count down in seconds. The clock is meant to be a motivational tool. It was an idea from the unscripted book that I’ll paraphrase: if you had a clock that you saw everyday that counted down to the day you die, how would you act differently?
found one :(

I have uncovered it is very hard to find a good application to track workouts. I find fiddling with my phone when in the gym is far too annoying and I always seem to go back to paper notebook.

There's a secondary problem that if you want to change your workout plan, structure, record additional information etc, most apps are too rigid to support. Ive even tried google sheets to track it and it's just too user unfriendly.

A tertiary problem is that fiddling with your phone can be a distraction.

Henderson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jun 29, 2022
What really is a problem for me is highlighting sections of an audiobook. I want to be able to highlight sections of an audiobook while running. Same for podcasts. Then the highlights should be sent to Readwise or something like this (in audio original, but also as text).

Tsetand

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 25, 2022
A friend of mine and I came up with a sound-isolated jar. You scream in it, and nobody will hear you. I think it's unironically an ok idea, but I don't know if it's doable, lol. We also gave it a name: "Yell Coffer". You're welcome if you become a millionaire by making this. Send me one.

hasagim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jul 11, 2022
I think we need a random off topic chat thread where we just dump all of our half fleshed out ideas that we will never do anything with and discuss them, things that are not worthy of an INE or their own thread.

Why? Maybe someone from the forum will solve your problem for you. Maybe you’ll find a half baked idea you can develop into something.

I’ll start with mine:
- Uber for freight, there’s a massive shortage of freight drivers right now, how about someone with a Ute/truck can just do bulk local b2b deliveries for warehouses like an Uber.
- people with Crohn’s disease sometimes have to do these strict diets where they only eat these shakes, they do this for months and they only have 3 flavours. I think this is the case anyway I don’t have crohns but I remember a workmate doing it years ago and complaining there was only 3 flavours, how to spot an idea 101.
- a phone charger cable that’s some kind of folding circuit board that folds up shaped like a credit card. Definitely doable with the new thin connectors and the usb that are just the flat board part of it.
- a print on demand 3D printing business that prints peoples custom in game characters from games like RuneScape, this is probably the best of these ideas, it would make a huge business if it was done well
- when houses are auctioned people have to get a house inspection before they bid because they can’t do it after they bid, this can get really expensive if you lose a bunch of auctions and is so inefficient. Set up a business that inspects every house being auctioned and just resells the same inspection to anyone interested. Even better if you just pay a share to someone who’s had an inspection done there already and gives it to you to resell to recoup some money.
- yoga mat covers like towels that slip over the mat, cool patterns, washable, grippy. I think I’ve started seeing these now but still an idea.

That’s all I’ve got, hopefully some others a willing to share theirs.

It doesn’t matter how terrible they are just share them here it’s what it’s for.

I was shopping at a local grocery store with my girlfriend when we got those "would you like to donate" popups at the checkout. I wanted to help out because it seemed like the popup was for a good cause when my girlfriend stopped me, saying stuff like "that money never actually goes to the charity and instead the grocery store."

This really stuck with me as it made me more compelled to donate to a charity simply because I wanted to support even the smallest amount to a cause I really care about. I believe that there are many also like me who want to support a good cause every so often but find it a little inconvenient to go out of their way to.

I've been sitting on this idea for a little bit and would like someone's advice on whether or not it would be good.

An awareness app that alerts you of good causes around the world to support everytime you make a purchase. Much like the alerts you get at a grocery store that tell you to donate to their fund but more mobile and the money actually goes to the good cause.

For example, let's say Suzy bought a coffee from starbucks.

The app would notify provide the following message through her notifications:

Hey [Suzy], your [$6.13] purchase from [Starbucks] has gone through.

According to Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO), about 1,000 sea turtles die annually from digesting plastic.

Would you like to round up 87 cents towards the TeamSeas ocean clean up campaign?

Suzy, now more aware of the problems surrounding the world around her, is more likely to click on the notification and donate 87 cents towards the campaign.

With more and more payment methods designed around our phones like apple pay and banking apps, privacy issues would not pose too much of a problem.

As an additional bonus, increased consumerism is taking over the world. This may help people be more aware of their purchasing habits. I haven't looked into it but I think a yearly total of money donated could go in as a tax write-off??

From a business standpoint, I'm unsure of how one would profit off of an app like this.
I understand that the app acorns kind of does the same thing but invests the money in the stock market and charges a subscription fee, but to be honest I'm not looking at the idea from a pure profit standpoint. In The Great Rat Race Escape , MJ mentions the "billionaire thought experiment" as a way to find a purpose, and I feel like creating an app like this is something I would do purely because I think it'll benefit the world.

At the same time, I'm still struggling to get out of mediocrity and start providing value and making money and wonder if I should try to focus on an idea that would first get me past the slowlane.

The Sandman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jul 12, 2022
Local sawmill finds it challenging to get rid of sawdust. Wood chips are valuable and in demand, dust not so much. Someone should compress the sawdust into pellets or logs so it can be burned to heat houses.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
Local sawmill finds it challenging to get rid of sawdust. Wood chips are valuable and in demand, dust not so much. Someone should compress the sawdust into pellets or logs so it can be burned to heat houses.

Can not relate to wood chips being in high demand. Us Tree Service's are always looking to get rid of our wood chips for free. Our industries current solution? A company called Chipdrop. Where sometimes you have to pay to dump the woodchips.

The Sandman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jul 12, 2022
Can not relate to wood chips being in high demand. Us Tree Service's are always looking to get rid of our wood chips for free. Our industries current solution? A company called Chipdrop. Where sometimes you have to pay to dump the woodchips.

These chips are clean: no bark/leaves/whatever. Prices of this commodity can vary quite a bit but they bring in around $1m/month now. This is much higher volumes than you're dealing with, and shipping is expensive.

Olivier20

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jun 23, 2022
These chips are clean: no bark/leaves/whatever. Prices of this commodity can vary quite a bit but they bring in around $1m/month now. This is much higher volumes than you're dealing with, and shipping is expensive.
In this case what would be great is a truck with a built-in chip compressor and big vaccum pump. While the vaccum sucks in the chips, the compressor builds the logs.

All this on site once a week/month. No need to carry all this somewhere and process it etc...

Rauschmi

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 7, 2021
Oceanside, CA
A friend of mine and I came up with a sound-isolated jar. You scream in it, and nobody will hear you. I think it's unironically an ok idea, but I don't know if it's doable, lol. We also gave it a name: "Yell Coffer". You're welcome if you become a millionaire by making this. Send me one.

My talent:
I know things

Rauschmi

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 7, 2021
Oceanside, CA
I used to have a CB radio. Mine didn't have it but some came with a PA function. You could just turn the loudspeaker around I suppose.

I've long had the idea of a programmable LED sign board that can be mounted in your back window so that you could push a button to send a message like "BACK OFF!". Both ideas would probably instigate road rage though and made illegal.

Rauschmi

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 7, 2021
Oceanside, CA
A flower pot that changes color according to the moisture level of the soil so people will know and remember the ideal time to water their plants.. or maybe they already exist :) just popped in to my mind

Edit: or somekind of fancy indicator stick that does the same and can be sticked in the pot

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, some great posts here to get the head thinking...

Here's one that we've already seen things happening...

Bottomline? The media is trash and few people believe them any longer.

This is a huge opportunity for someone to solve in a non-bias, or a unique way. Already seen some ideas here (like Ground News ) but still lots of opportunity.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

This is a huge opportunity for someone to solve in a non-bias, or a unique way. Already seen some ideas here (like Ground News ) but still lots of opportunity.

I think the approaches to this so far have been too clinical and scientific, trying to balance this perspective with that perspective with some kind of algorithm or formula.

The answer IMO is going to be a personal one... Like a news company with a CEO or editor that's deeply personally committed to being fair & balanced or unbiased, like some of the news of the older days. There were editors and publishers like that in the 40's-60's.

It will be very much not "passive" and very tied to said individual's efforts. Maybe this is just one way to do it, but it's a way...

The Sandman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jul 12, 2022
This one could be big but would require a bit of capital.

I just remembered a conversation I had a couple years ago with a forester who works for the state. They've been struggling to get bids on timber that's too big. The old mills that could handle big timber have been shut down or replaced with modern equipment optimized for smaller timber.

Wood quality has declined as industry has moved towards 2nd and 3rd cutting, faster-growing and smaller trees, with a focus on volume. A specialty mill focused on quality could get these "too big" trees for relatively cheap and turn out a super-premium product.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE

i agree however wouldnt this violate barrier of entry and furthermore the existing user base that these phony and (shitty) news agencies have built up over the past five decades? I agree journalism has gone to the dogs, but lets say we present an unbiased view from the ground, wont we get fact checked and selectively silenced by big tech?

I know many investigative journalists that are constantly threatened or have their youtube or fb accounts temporarily banned or investigated etc....

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
Also some problems that I have encountered within the last 48 hours...

1) Why does it still take 24-36 hours for shitty big banks (ahem CHASE) to transfer money into a wise account? Also not sure if there is a solution but can there be transfers from cashapp to wise and vice versa???

2) I had to have some documents notarized and apostilled from New York and found out from my sister that birth certificate processing takes 3-5 months! Also apostilling of documents takes 3-5 weeks due to lack of employees... Gimme a break fourth most populous state in the union and lack of employees.. More government largess and nothing to show for. One F*ckin document takes weeks in 2022 to process???

3) Passport processing for new issues AND renewals are at a 3-6 month backlog. A family friend had to pay 800€ for expedition.... Not sure if anything can be done privately but methinks if 800€ could be spent for private expeidition maybe the barriers of entry arent THAT bad?

James007Hill

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 29, 2019
Wine tour business in the UK - taking people around 2-3 wineries in a day tour, that kind of thing. English wine in particular is on the up and getting better all the time, especially the sparking wines which are genuinely competing with champagnes on quality in some cases.

It's a growing area and there will be LOADS more vineyards/wineries popping up over the next decade or so. Most vineyards offer some kind of public tastings/tour service but there are VERY few (only one last time I checked) businesses actually offering the service of a multiple winery day tour.

Seems to be quite big in other more established wine producing countries so could be a good one for someone in the UK to get into. Granted it wouldn't be easiest to start and scale, and no idea if such businesses can or do make epic amounts of money, but thought I'd throw it out there in the spirit of this thread!

Tortoise

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 28, 2020
London, UK

Hi, do you know About Pew Research Center ? Sorry if I'm being naive, I only just found the site whilst looking for online business ideas and it reminded me of this thread.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
still a problem in 2022....
No matter what country! the telefon handling time for customer service issues is still pathetic! My assistent spent 1hr 30 minutes with an airline and 45 minutes for a card processor! Ridiculous! (ofc i have already trained and advised her to use bluetooth and do other menial tasks whilst waiting for these so called service reps).... I understand telephone handling is more art than science, but why is it that shit still takes a long fu€king time to answer???

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.