The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Pokemon Go Game Discussion - Opportunities?

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Honestly I am a bit surprised that there isn’t a post on this already. If you don’t know what it is here’s the Wikipedia article:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_Go

I look at like it’s like a high-tech version of the Pet Rock, a fad that millions are suddenly obsessed with. Just like Candy Crush was during late 2014-2015. Except Pokémon Go involves running around like an idiot with your face glued to your phone; apparently you can buy headsets to help you with your quest. Within the first few weeks, it has 21 million players and is only in 4 countries. It seems to be taking the world by storm now and it is all over the news and social media. My opinion is the people that are actually playing the game are Slowlaners or Sidewalkers even but as Fastlaners I think we can appreciate the scale and magnitude of the game. If you look at the download numbers, it also seems to have a large demand. It also seems to have leverage because once the game was created and people downloaded, it just snow-balled from there. Of course the man Satoru Iwata who actually created the idea of the game is dead now which is sad especially considering that he doesn’t get to reap any of the benefits and see the success.

It will be interesting to watch Nintendo’s stock for the next few months because I wonder how long this craze will last. I suspect at least for the summer but I wonder what will happen when kids go back to school in about 8 weeks. It is a fad after all so eventually it will crumble but I think it will be interesting to watch and see how it goes.

Anyone else watching this to see how it pans out? Anyone actually playing or knows that their kids are playing?

Also I hope that was an ok place to post this. I wasn't sure exactly which sub-forum it should go in.. Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
13620820_10209145141858121_7366778631343632619_n.jpg

G

Guest34764

You should have invested in stock a few weeks ago.You'll probably still be able to ride the train but it won't last forever.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Only thing I can say is that it's a great move by Nintendo, finally going to mobile, AND using augmented reality. They only own like 30% though.

You should have invested in stock a few weeks ago.You'll probably still be able to ride the train but it won't last forever.
I had it in my watch list. Didn't think they could make much money of it and never thought it would be THIS popular.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Half of my campus plays. Hell, I play a little bit too.

Most playing it, I've noticed it, are people 18-28 who grew up with Pokemon. It's a good blast of nostalgia for them, makes them relive fond memories, and it gets a lot of people interacting with other people, sharing stories and such. I always approve of some good-natured human interaction.

It's a time waster of course, but so are lots of things in life. I'm not gonna give hell to people who are enjoying themselves.

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
I don't even know what Pokemon Go exactly is but the founder is actually a pretty impressive "overnight success".
(Who worked 20 YEARS to make this happen)

Source: http://www.nextbigwhat.com/t/pokemon-go-the-overnight-success-is-a-work-of-20-years-john-hanke/1560

EDIT: Oh and btw Pokemon GO is NOT taking over the world of slowlaners because they are to busy working 3 jobs, clipping coupons and reading books of wall street investment gurus.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Except Pokémon Go involves running around like an idiot with your face glued to your phone
Damn those people getting exercise!

The way I see it is there are two groups of people right now: those who play it and like it and those that don't play it and need to project their superiority by bashing those that play it.

To both parties: no one cares. No one cares that you play too much. No one cares that you're not 10 and have shit to do.

rkmalo1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 14, 2012
Chicago
Anyone else watching this to see how it pans out? Anyone actually playing or knows that their kids are playing?

Watching it only because it introduces the general public to augmented reality. I can see how AR can and probably will make eCommerce more robust. Overall the game might be a fad, but AR is just getting started ...

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
Pokemon has ALWAYS been one of nintendos big games , i used to waste hours of my life as a kid glue to the tv watching it and playing the games on game boy , its more then just a fad its taking us millennials back in time to when we were the kids glued to it.

Of course it wont be this big forever but i still know 20- 25 year olds that buy every pokemon game that comes out

I dont think it will just die out specially for as big of a loyal audience pokemon has

Its a AMAZING move on their part

I wont be playing it BUT i dont know to many who arent , even "grown ups"

Singh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Feb 27, 2016
UK
Whilst everyone else is playing it im trying to find ways to monetise it. This is a great opportunity to make some money but agree that it wont last long just another fad

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
and never thought it would be THIS popular.

Guess you weren't alive in the 90's. Betting against Pokemon=Epic fail. Game makes over a million bucks a day just on in-app purchases and it's only six days old. It's a billion dollar franchise. While it will die down after a while, almost every game in the series has been a mega hit.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I only figured out that it was a thing when CROWDS of 20 and 30 somethings are in the local parks and hike/bike trails (occluding traffic. the ***!) are all standing around staring into their phones. It's nuts!

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
Cereal Killer

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Guess you weren't alive in the 90's. Betting against Pokemon=Epic fail. Game makes over a million bucks a day just on in-app purchases and it's only six days old. It's a billion dollar franchise. While it will die down after a while, almost every game in the series has been a mega hit.
Wow you just triggered me, I grew up watching pokemon, I woke up everyday at 6 *continuing blabber

I knew Nintendo would hit the jackpot if they went mobile apps, I just thought it would take a little while to infiltrate the market.
Instead they fkn broke the market and are at par with snapchat lol

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
You guys are so quick to judge... seriously, why do you guys have such a reaction?

I was skeptical as F*ck about it. I've played and enjoyed the original games, and the concept seemed too off.

Then I saw the people playing it. Everywhere.

Then I tried the game.

It's not really a game at all. It's just augmented reality.

It adds a new layer to what is actually out there, and for what it's worth, these Pokemon actually exist (in a sense). You catch them, and the goal is to catch as many as humanly possible. In order to do that, you need to walk outside and go to physical locations that you may have never been to before.

The fun exists only somewhat in the 'game world'. Most of the fun is in the 'real world'. Because of the massive amount of people playing, it's possible to interact, face to face, with other people playing the game. You see their faces, you talk to them.

I'm still not so interested in it, but the game is still on my phone.

So, what does this mean? Pokemon GO has turned outdoor exploration into a game with immediate, keepable rewards. It's not as much of a 'video game' as you old timers think :)

This was only possible because of how big Pokemon got in the late 90s and early 2000s. Because kids stayed inside, they're now adults who are going outside. Funny how that works.

Business applications:

- Local lead gen for restaurants, cafes, and stores. If your business is near a Pokestop or a gym, there's an immediate opportunity to capitalize on people playing the game. Have em sit inside and have a drink.
- Tour groups. Since Pokemon availability is partially determined by region, and the goal is to catch em all... there's renewed interest in short-distance travelling.
- Advertisement. Implications for marketing campaigns are endless.

You guys need to quit judging people for how they choose to spend their time. This is a hell of a lot healthier than sitting inside and playing World of Warcraft.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Whilst everyone else is playing it im trying to find ways to monetise it. This is a great opportunity to make some money but agree that it wont last long just another fad

Along with making money a lot of people are trying to get all the attention it is bringing for good causes. One example is local animal shelters that are asking people to hunt Pokemon while taking dogs out for much needed walks which I think is a nice thing for people to do.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
Cereal Killer

Well that sounds terrible. Am I not allowed to play Paintball? Or read fun books? Watch the things I want to watch?

Isn't one of the points of the Fastlane Lifestyle the freedom to do what you want?

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
I mean I grew up on Pokemon, and I've played it some but beyond 10 or so minutes I feel like it's a waste of time.

On the other hand, while everyone is talking about which rare Pokemon they were able to track down, I've been trying to think of ways to piggyback off this and make some money from the wave.....

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Cereal Killer

Disclosure: I don't play the game. I gave up video games (thanks to FLF!) about two years ago and haven't played a minute since.

That said, most diversions and recreations seem pretty stupid to people who are not interested in them. I mean, walking around the park with your phone in your hand trying to catch imaginary animals seems pretty silly right?

I saw something sillier though. The other day successful grown men, men with wives and families and jobs and shit to do, paid money, actual honest-to-god cash money, to voluntarily walk around a park in 90 degree weather in stiff, uncomfortable shoes with 50 pound quivers of metal rods, madly swatting at little pieces of plastic like a pack of apes while they got skin cancer and accomplished nothing of any lasting value.

Except that form of stupidity is called "golf" and it's considered a respectable recreation for adults, who pay huge sums of money to play.

And you know what, if you put aside the understanding that everything in life has to be productive and profitable 100% of the time, it's actually fun. I love video games. I'm just an addict that knows his limits, which is why I don't play them anymore. Leisure is the reason why we work to free our income from our time. If there is no joy outside of work, no joy except earning money, than there is no reason to go fastlane rather than just getting an engineering degree and putting in 80 hours a week. That will net you $150,000-200,000 pretty easily. That would more than provide for everyone's basic needs and security. But then, where would the fun be?

I've seen more kids riding bikes and running (with their phones) in the last week than I have in the last year. At least, for the kids, this game is shaping up to be a really good thing.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
If you complain about this phenomenon you have the mentality of a slowlaner.

@The-J explains well. This app has what Peter Thiel calls a 10x improvement. It has serious game changing ramifications. People are tweeting about how they walk 8.5 km in a day. An app that encourages you to go outside and interact with the world. This model will serve for similar apps in the future.

Scavenger hunt at your wedding party?

Haunted monsters at the amusement park on Halloween?

Get all 12 golden markers at the stadium for a 50% discount on some Jordons?

Wake up haters.

G

Guest34764

A few have become smart and made Pokemon T-shirts to represent each team within the game.If you can find a clever way to avoid the C.D that Nintendo will eventually send out then you could be making big bucks.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
I think this is a great opportunity for Brick and Mortar Businesses, especially restaurants to generate extra sales.

1. Host a Pokemon meetup

2. Put asses in seats

3. Put Dollars in the till

Last edited:

InnovateDesign

777 MPH
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 16, 2016
Taxco, MX
I play this game. It is actually quite fun.

I went to a campus at about 1 am because I had nothing to do and it was pretty amazing how many people were there playing this game. Everybody was interacting with each other and talking about where a rare pokemon is located. Though to some older folks, this probably looks insane because they do not understand how closely related this game is to the actual games on game boy. It's nostalgic.

kejf0tii209x.jpg

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
lel @ all the butthurt people here

epic meme @Vigilante, rep++++

Probably not long until darwin strikes and some idiots fall off cliffs or in front of trains/cars trying to catch a pokemon :).

Last edited:

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
I ve been keeping an eye on news related articles strictly to see how many people are getting jacked up from it. So far two have walked off a cliff, one has stepped on a copperhead snake and was bitten and one walked into a shady park and was stabbed.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.