The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Pleasure vs Pain - How you can improve productivity

Anything related to matters of the mind

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I'm currently reading Awaken The Giant Within by Tony Robbins. If you've never seen it - it's a masterpiece written some 25 years ago. I'm a big fan of Robbins and generally - all roads lead back to him.

In Chapter 1, Robbins says that all decisions are made by how you associate pleasure or pain to the outcome. For example, some people smoke because it gives them pleasure. They feel more socially accepted in bars/clubs or within their peer groups. On the flip side, some people quit smoking because they associate pain with it. It's a 'nasty' habit, it's damaging their health and it's making them financially poorer.

So, what does this have to do with productivity? Well...think about it. Like most of you, I do procrastinate and it's annoying. I know there's a task that's urgent and needs to be done ASAP but I'm putting it off. Why is that?

Let's say I need to phone my bank to cancel a credit card. I'm delaying this task because I've associated pain to it. I know I have to phone a call center which means long queue times. When I finally get through to an agent - that person might be a dumbass and make me explain my objective several times. The call might be transferred to a "dept that can help me" or even worse - the call might get disconnected because of a dodgy connection. These are pain points and it's stopping me from fulfilling my goal.

Now what if I go through the same exercise but associate pleasure to it? If I call my bank, I can cancel my credit card. I no longer max it out and pay stupid fees and I don't need to deal with them or their crappy service again. And once it's done, I can remove the task off my Trello board or To-Do list. How great does that feel?

It's an interesting mind shift and a game changer for me. I know I have a lot to accomplish but now I have a tool to help me get through it. All it takes is a few minutes of my time.

Thanks Tony!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

3feetfromgold

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 13, 2016
USA
Great book. I just finished reading this a few weeks ago as well.

The pain vs. pleasure is one of my favorite and biggest takeaway from that book. I'm paraphrasing here but there was a story in the book about a woman who suffered from procrastination. After some deliberation, they uncovered that the procrastination stemmed from each task having to be perfect because she was a perfectionist. Once they knew this, when she would start a task, she would say that it didn't have to be perfect - it just had to be started.

I get overwhelmed by perfectionism as well. Sometimes when I think of a task (i.e. writing a blog post), I start thinking about all the things I have to do to make it perfect. Writing a killer post, getting the right images, perfect promotion etc. This can get overwhelming and causes extreme pain so I end up putting it off. However, if I just say - Let's just sit down and write 250 words and see where that takes me. I get started right away and end up writing even more.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Great book. I just finished reading this a few weeks ago as well.

The pain vs. pleasure is one of my favorite and biggest takeaway from that book. I'm paraphrasing here but there was a story in the book about a woman who suffered from procrastination. After some deliberation, they uncovered that the procrastination stemmed from each task having to be perfect because she was a perfectionist. Once they knew this, when she would start a task, she would say that it didn't have to be perfect - it just had to be started.

I get overwhelmed by perfectionism as well. Sometimes when I think of a task (i.e. writing a blog post), I start thinking about all the things I have to do to make it perfect. Writing a killer post, getting the right images, perfect promotion etc. This can get overwhelming and causes extreme pain so I end up putting it off. However, if I just say - Let's just sit down and write 250 words and see where that takes me. I get started right away and end up writing even more.

I'm only a 100 pages into the book but I know it's a masterpiece already. It's gold!

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@Sanj Modha ...You're talking my language brother ! I've read 2 of his books (and have his latest on my desk)...hand wrote notes...typed and organized them...started my own "Personal Development" journal....I'm listening to his CD set for life coaching....bought Udemy courses related to the subject...so yea...I guess you could say I'm a fan and proof these methods do work.

If you take the tools and use them daily it will make a huge, positive impact in your life. While I'm at it, I have to give a shout out and Thank You to @Kung Fu Steve for the help he's given me. If you don't know, he's Tony's Head National Trainer.

Stay with it...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
@Sanj Modha ...You're talking my language brother ! I've read 2 of his books (and have his latest on my desk)...hand wrote notes...typed and organized them...started my own "Personal Development" journal....I'm listening to his CD set for life coaching....bought Udemy courses related to the subject...so yea...I guess you could say I'm a fan and proof these methods do work.

If you take the tools and use them daily it will make a huge, positive impact in your life. While I'm at it, I have to give a shout out and Thank You to @Kung Fu Steve for the help he's given me. If you don't know, he's Tony's Head National Trainer.

Stay with it...

Tony drops so much gold it's quite incredible. My bromance level is +90 now!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.