The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Playing the franchise game from the middle...

lanceg321

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Sep 15, 2013
Oregon
All,

I'm super excited to take part in this amazing forum. This is my first post ever, so I'm hoping to make it count! My objective with this thread is to use it as a dumping ground for my thoughts and process as I work through the creation of my business venture. I will be developing a line of fitness centers across the entire state as part of new franchisor with a highly recognizable name brand. Now, having said that, they are a start up. We are dealing with the pains of being a startup and I bought into the model knowing this because I feel like I can help them grow and reach success, which in turn will lead to success for me. What sold me was the brand connections.

I am looking forward to any feedback and certainly happy to connect with anyone that has experience as a Franchise area developer or regional developer. Here's where I'm at today:
  • Working on the leads funnel driven by strong online content development and web pages - no paid adds have been created until we get the sites up and running
  • Currently have zero leads and not stores open in the state. The franchise itself has one gym open and several in process.
  • We are developing a clear and crisp value proposition. One thing I've learned on this forum is the criticality of focusing on how you help the customer, not what's cool about your gyms! More work to do here.
  • I'm feeling a bit stuck in terms of how to market to franchisee's without blowing up my spend. I think building my own funnel is the right approach, but it takes time to get folks into the pipeline. Any input on this would be much appreciated.
Has anyone else on the forum developed a franchise territory as an approach to the Fastlane? I know MJ is pretty clear about the violation of control, but I do think I have more control as a regional developer. I certainly have better scale. Would love to hear opinions on this.

More to come...

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lanceg321

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Sep 15, 2013
Oregon
Okay, so I'm thinking about a way that I can scale the opening of my fitness clubs without personally being in every club every day. I have capital to apply to the problem, and I'm thinking about how I can create value for some first to also solve my problem. I would love to hear if any of you have experience with a similar approach or any feedback on my idea...

1. Shared Ownership Model - advertise for an existing gym manager/sr. employee in the local market that wants a shot at owning their own business. I put up the cash to open the gym, they put in the time to run it. Over a 3yr period they can earn in up to 49% IF they achieve the sales and profit goals and apply the profits they learn to pay down their side of the investment until it reaches a max of 49%. More details to this but that's the basic idea.
2. Owner/Owner Model - Find a financial partner that is willing to put in 49% for ownership and also take a salary to run the gym. This is another way to solve it, but I worry about the motivational aspect for the gym manager.
3. Put together an investment group to remove all leverage from the startup, and hire a strong gym manager to run each store. This will keep my cash outlay lower so I can scale to multiple stores over time potentially.

Do any of you have experience with models like this or any new ideas on what I could try? Also, what would you recommend in terms of finding and attracting a potential gym owner/partner? I appreciate the collective wisdom!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.