The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Personal Banking

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I'm probably gonna start up a bank account that I can maintain myself, instead of my parents being in charge. What banks do you guys use? Which do you prefer and which do you prefer to stay away from? What types of things should be considered? What are the strengths and weaknesses of specific banks? Do you use smaller, local banks or regionwide/nationwide banks? This will be for a checking account. I'm not gonna be spending all that much, but it will mainly be used as a way to educate myself on managing my money.

Any input is appreciated!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
Is REI a part of your future? Then it is a good idea to start developing a relationship with a local bank. That will come in handy in the future.

Or... if you will be doing a lot of traveling, a larger national bank can be nice.

We have different bank accounts - some locally and some "national" banks - for the reason mentioned above.

Most banks have free checking - and some offer interest. Don't open an account where you have to pay a monthly fee, because there are plenty out there where you don't.

Allthingznew

Contributor
Aug 26, 2007
Is REI a part of your future? Then it is a good idea to start developing a relationship with a local bank. That will come in handy in the future.

Or... if you will be doing a lot of traveling, a larger national bank can be nice.

We have different bank accounts - some locally and some "national" banks - for the reason mentioned above.

Most banks have free checking - and some offer interest. Don't open an account where you have to pay a monthly fee, because there are plenty out there where you don't.

Well said.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
Oh, and I should have mentioned..

It has become a requirement for me that my bank has an online banking service (that includes bill pay). As your responsibilities grow - so do your bills.... have a fast/easy/convenient/automated way to pay those bills saves you a lot of time and paper.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Thanks...online banking is definitely a must for me being that I'm on the computer all the time. REI is part of my future, but I don't know whether it will be here or elsewhere. I'd like to do it here, but it's a tough market to get into. There are always opportunities, though...

If I have a specific banker that I use at the local Valley National Bank branch (just as an example) every time I go there, will that help me in establishing a relationship for the future?

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
National banks have a "box" they use when deciding if they should lend money. Either you fit in the box or you don't.

Local Banks allow you to sit down, face to face with the decision maker. We have obtained several loans through a local bank - and I'm sure that a few of them were loaned to us based more on who we are and our relationship then on the deal itself.

So - I would say "no." A relationship with a specific banker at a national bank won't necessarily put you face to face with the decision maker.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I see...thanks. What advantages would a national bank offer, then? Just convenience of having multiple branches?

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
That, honestly, is the only advantage I see, but other's on here may see more...

however, I will say that the national banks I have used have better online banking then most of the local branches I have used.

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
If you have access to a credit union, take a look there as well. They tend to have better rates for loans, and while some of the smaller ones may not have the resources of large banks, many do...

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2007
I'm probably gonna start up a bank account that I can maintain myself, instead of my parents being in charge. What banks do you guys use? Which do you prefer and which do you prefer to stay away from? What types of things should be considered? What are the strengths and weaknesses of specific banks? Do you use smaller, local banks or regionwide/nationwide banks? This will be for a checking account. I'm not gonna be spending all that much, but it will mainly be used as a way to educate myself on managing my money.

Any input is appreciated!

Have you talked to any banks about this yet? I know in Arizona you have to be 18 years old to open an account. (Or at least at my bank you need to be) We had to set up an account for our son that had his dad on it so that there was an adult, but David is responsible for everything about it.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Have you talked to any banks about this yet? I know in Arizona you have to be 18 years old to open an account. (Or at least at my bank you need to be) We had to set up an account for our son that had his dad on it so that there was an adult, but David is responsible for everything about it.
I'd probably need another name on there, but I think I can handle everything else.

Thanks for the responses!

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Great post @Fox, very much appreciated! How can I reach out to you? I sent you a PM a while...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hey @Lex DeVille ! Having some issues with the NOREGRETS code? Udemy thinks it has expired...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
I read it yesterday, looks like a nice introduction for reading TFM or Unscripted. ; ) Also...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom